WELCOME TO BELLUM AETERNUS II!
Eternal War... The Darkon Wargaming Club proudly presents Maryland's largest ever foam fighting event August 15th - 18th at the Jug Bay Area of Patuxent River State Park. This event is perfect for new fighters to join in battle, and for old warriors to return. Featuring fighting, feasting, merchants and entertainment, Bellum Aeternus is four days of adventure! Join us for the biggest and best event in Darkon's 29 year history this August.
Bellum Aeternus will bring back many among the thousands of Darkonians we have fought with and against over the years. It will also give us a great opportunity to welcome warriors from other, similar live action combat games. This is also a great opportunity for you to show off your hobby to your friends and family members who might be curious about what we do. The event will feature a festival atmosphere and battles of an epic scale!
PRE-REGISTERATION IS CLOSED BUT YOU MAY STILL CHECK-IN AT THE EVENT!
Entry to the event is $15 at the gate if you have not pre-registered. There is no prorate for individual days. Cash only at the gate. Gate staff will be available from 12 noon to 8 pm for entry and registration each day. On Saturday ONLY, spectators are allowed including children under 16 with parent(s) from noon until dark.
FULL EVENT SCHEDULE!
- 12:00 PM You may arrive at the park. Check-In Opens.
- 7:30 PM Comedy Entertainment by Violet Grey Upstairs In The Barn.
- 8:00 PM Check-In Closes. Nurgle's Adventure Begins!
- 9:00 PM Welcome Party Hosted By Kindred.
- 12:00 PM Check-In Opens.
- 12:30 PM New Player Orientation and Crossgamer Orientation
- 1:00 PM Nurgle Adventure Continues
- 7:00 PM Casino Games Hosted By Myrmidon Entertainment
- 7:30 PM The Comedy Entertainment of Tommy Sinbazo and the Drink Till We're Funny Tour
- 8:00 PM Check-In Closes
- 9:00 PIT FIGHTS! Sign-ups at 9 with fights immediately following. Adventure Prizes will be announced around this time.
- 12:00 AM Check-In Opens.
- 12:30 PM New Player Orientation and Crossgamer Orientation
- 1:00 PM KICK THE CAN Ressurection Battle, Main Field
- 2:00 PM Sir Halcon's Bridge Battle
- 4:00 PM Four Team Ressurection Battle. PM Check-In Closes
- 7:30 PM Bachanalian Feast Begins (NOTE THIS FEAST IS PRE-REGISTRATION ONLY)
- 9:30 PM Hardcore Whaler and Tall, Broad, and Sticky performing in the Merchant's area. Merchants open until Midnight.
- 12:00 AM Midnight Bacchanalia after-party hosted by House Karfax.
- Night Fighting Under Great Lighting Behind The Barn All Night
- 12:00 PM Woods Battles Caravan and Capture The Flag Ressurection Scenarios In the Woods.
- 5:00 PM We must be out of the park by this time.
The event is taking place at Patuxent River Jug Bay Natural Area in Upper Marlboro, MD (roughly 45 minutes from Washington DC, 1 hour 15m from Baltimore, MD)
PAVILIONThe pavilion is reserved for non-combat activities and administration.
BARNThe Barn will be used for RP purposes, feasting and revels. Casino Games and Pit Fights by Myrmidon Entertainment will also be held here. Music, dance and comedy performances will be held in the Barn. There is no fighting allowed in the Barn at this event. Country and personal banners may be displayed around the outside walls of the Barn.
MAIN FIELDNo camping allowed in this area, reserved for scenarios and battles.
PARKINGThere will be ample parking between the gate and the marked utility poles, on both the left and right sides of the road. No cars are allowed near the main field or any of the buildings. Vendors and organizers only will be allowed to bring motor vehicles near the pavilion and barn for setup and breakdown only. There will be posted signs designating where the parking area ends- obey them. Parking staff has final say on parking.
BATHROOMSThere are bathrooms between the Barn and the Woods which we may use for the event.
WATER AND GRILLSThere are water taps and grills which we may use.
CAMPING AREASThe park has several designated camping areas with fire pits. Campers will be assigned sites by Event Officials. No tents or camping equipment may be deployed before noon in the camping areas. Period tents and day shades may be put up around the daytime activity areas upon approval of Event Officials.
CHILDRENBellum Aeternus does not permit anyone younger than 16 to participate in fighting, camping or any event scenarios as a player. Saturday August 17th from noon to 6 pm is the only time that children are permitted on site. Children will not be allowed in camping areas or the battlefield area without a parent or guardian present.
PETSPets are not permitted on site at any time.
ALCOHOLPatuxent River Park is a beer and wine only facility. Liquor is strictly prohibited. All beverages should be contained in period drinking vessels. We will not be selling alcohol on site. You must be 21 to drink, and we will be checking ID at events.
Campsites will be assigned by the Event Staff at the Check In Booth. Fires can only be built in designated fire rings unless you bring your own fire ring or bowl. No wood can be cut inside the park. You may bring wood from any Maryland county, but you must take unused wood off site when you leave. Electricity, bathrooms and water are available at the pavilion. Campsites can be walled off with rope. Gates and other temporary structures are permitted but must be removed upon event close. You are responsible for removing your own trash to the dumpster. Trash must be bagged for disposal in the dumpster.
FOOD, MERCHANTS & ENTERTAINMENT
If you'd like to sell merchandise, food, provide services or entertainment at this event please contact Yaron Linett or Amy McNeal for details and registration forms. Merchants, food vendors and service providers must pre-register for spaces. The merchanting fee is $10.
Confirmed Merchants and Hospitality Providers For This Year:
BATTLE PARTICIPATION RULES FOR BELLUM AETERNUS
- Darkon Battle Rules (found here) will apply for the day, and relics will be used.
- Countries will fight together and Nomads will be allowed to fight together, or to field with a Country for the day.
- Darkon costuming requirements will be enforced. You must meet Darkon garb standards to play. However, there will be no livery restrictions so that other visitors from other games may participate in their own surcoats.
- Weapons must meet Darkon requirements for safety. Cloth covers may, for this event only, be of any color except bright green (relic).
- Armor must meet Darkon requirements. Coreless shields may be used for this day so that visitors from other games may participate. The Noble Council will specifically check such shields for safety in conjunction with the Head Weapon Marshalls.
- A special Crossgame Orientation will be held for players who are new to Darkon but have at least 6 months experience in other foam fighting games. It is important that we welcome our brothers from other areas as honored guests and allow them to enjoy Darkon to the fullest.
The Orientation will cover the following points:
- Darkon's hit and armor system will be concisely explained, including spells, non-weapon tactics and general safety.
- Differences between Darkon and other systems will be highlighted, including shield tactics, missile weapons, and spell use.
- Individuals who demonstrate an understanding of Darkon's system and safety will be allowed to use armor, bows and great weapons for the event. Approval will be given on an individual basis by members of the Noble Council to those who clearly understand safe use and our hit system, and only if they have at least 6 months experience fighting in similar games.
- Costume rules, weapon cover colors, and the formation of Countries will be discussed for the benefit of anyone who wishes to return to other Darkon events in the future.
- Elders and Security Officials will keep this event orderly. There will be no tolerance at all for poor sportsmanship.
- Bellum Aeternus is Rain or Shine. If we face bad weather, we're fighting in it. There is plenty of shelter for vendors, family, entertainers, people who like to stay dry.
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP?
- Show up, and tell people you are showing up. This is Darkon's day to shine. Call people. Let your countrymen know, even if your country hasn't fielded in a decade or two. Invite people to the event on Facebook. Talk to your friends in other gaming groups or other states. Promote this far and wide to everyone you know who foam fights or wants to get started foam fighting!
- Volunteer to help with Check-in. We're running it for two hours. The Secretary, Treasurer and Marshalls will need some help! If you are willing to help with this contact Jacque Blake.
- Volunteer to Elder. If you are willing to Elder contact Amy McNeal.