Boots?!

For the posting of questions and information on equipment usable by the Realm of Darkon.
CrowX2M

Boots?!

Post by CrowX2M » 2013-11-20

Hey Guys,

Another Newbie popping in to get some info. I picked up some boots and they just arrived today (and geeze are the comfy), however, they have zipper showing on the inside (didn't realize they were zippered when I bought them.) I was wondering if I could get some opinions on if they'd be approved or not, or some tips on how to easily cover up the zippers. I know one solution is to wear pants outside of them, but I kinda like the look of boots going up to just under my knees.

shroom2021
Darkonian

Re: Boots?!

Post by shroom2021 » 2013-11-21

Are those the wanderer boots from Medieval Collectables? If so I would not recommend wearing them to the field! I had a pair and while they looked sturdy and I spent a couple of weeks dressing them up to cover the zipper, the soles of the boots literally fell off after about an hour of good fighting.

If they are not the same boots or you want to wear them anyway a good way to cover that zipper is to rivet two strips of leather up the sides, punch some holes and lace a leather cord over top. It is time consuming, but not that expensive and it can be done from multiple peices of similarly colored leather.

Overall cost if I remember correctly (assuming you have the tools already):
6$ for the jean rivets (Don't need anything really sturdy, they aren't holding your boots on)
10$ for the leather and the cord (again, nothing sturdy here)

16$ and probably 8 hours of work from start to finish.

If you need the tools, about 15$ will get you el cheapo punch/riveter from Joannes, so about 31$ mod if you need a tool. Still around 8 hours.

Honestly, while they look cool, I would double and triple check that they will endure the rigors of darkon before wearing them. They may be best suited for the ren fairre and it would suck to have them fail completely at the start of an event (luckilly it was a warm dry day so I just ran around barefoot).

If you are looking to get some good darkon boots that are sturdy, refer to bootsbybohemond.com or vikingleathercrafts.com
As far as tough boots go, they look great and take much punishment. Also at below 100 for most of the low boots, you don't expect to see a nike logo hidden anywhere :)

CrowX2M

Post by CrowX2M » 2013-11-21

You called it. Lol. However, I don't plan on being front line fighting once I finish my 5 events (or 3 if a campout comes up.) But I'll definitely remember to pick up a second pair for actual fighting so I can just use these for show.

shroom2021
Darkonian

Post by shroom2021 » 2013-11-21

I should still have the boot covers I made out of the failed boots. I am not using them if you want to take them for a spin. I cut off the bottoms completely and they tie just in front of the heel of the shoe to hold them in place. Same look, but brown instead. If you want them I can see if I can dig them up.