Paint over Plasti Dip

For the posting of questions and information on equipment usable by the Realm of Darkon.
mtaylor

Paint over Plasti Dip

Post by mtaylor » 2014-03-15

Is is Darkon legal to put a coat of paint over Plasti Dip on a shield? The current 2014 rule book just says
All shields must have a cloth or Plasti Dip®.
[sic]

I presume there is supposed to be a "cover" at the end of that sentence that was omitted.

I am trying to figure out if Plasti Dip is required to be the outer coating. The rule certainly implies that, but elsewhere I have seen and heard suggestions that Plasti Dip be given a clear coat or coat of primer and paint.

Being allowed to use paint would certainly make shield art easier has there are not that many colors of Plasti Dip readily available locally.

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Re: Paint over Plasti Dip

Post by Inox » 2014-03-16

Both cloth and Plasti-Dip covers may be painted.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

mtaylor

Post by mtaylor » 2014-03-16

Thank you for the quick response. Is this one of those common accepted practice things or has there been an official ruling somewhere? What is the process for getting this made explicit in the next edition of the rule book?

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2014-03-17

Why do we need a clarification for it?
Would you really want to walk around with a plastidip (Read: time and money consuming) shield, using the normal black plastidip and then just leave it all black?

Doesnt make sense. Revision not neccessary.
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2014-03-18

I don't think it needs to be "made explicit", as it goes without saying.

While plate armor must be made of steel, some people paint theirs.

While sword pommels and quillons must be cloth, foam, tape, and PD, some people paint theirs.

Most cloth-covered shields and all PD shields are painted.

Decoration does not need to be made explicit unless there's a dangerous decoration we need to ban.

In the meanwhile, enjoy paint, silk screening, acid-etched metal armor, etc.
Beast of BABALON

mtaylor

Post by mtaylor » 2014-03-18

Clearly it does not go without saying else I would not have asked the questions I asked. The rule book often makes mention of what something must be made of, but only in some places says what the outer layer must be. Let me turn it around - what CAN'T be used as a layer outside of cloth or Plasti dip then, and how would anyone reading the rule book know this?

Also, Plasti Dip does come in many colors, see http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions ... _Color_Kit for example, it is just not always available locally. Pretty much any color you want can be mixed, so a Plasti Dip covered shield would not have to be just black or red or whatever is commonly found in your local hardware store.

I will ask again for anyone kind enough to answer. What is the process for getting an explicit rule listed in the rule book so the next person along does not have to ask?

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2014-03-18

mtaylor wrote:Clearly it does not go without saying else I would not have asked the questions I asked. The rule book often makes mention of what something must be made of, but only in some places says what the outer layer must be. Let me turn it around - what CAN'T be used as a layer outside of cloth or Plasti dip then, and how would anyone reading the rule book know this?

I was once told that using the term "clearly" reflects a weak argument. I feel that was good advice.

If you have looked at even a handful of pictures or been out to a single event, it should be painfully obvious that paint is used. If you have not, why are you trying to make gear before doing a little preliminary observation?

mtaylor wrote:Also, Plasti Dip does come in many colors, see http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions ... _Color_Kit for example, it is just not always available locally. Pretty much any color you want can be mixed, so a Plasti Dip covered shield would not have to be just black or red or whatever is commonly found in your local hardware store.

There are also plenty of cloth-covered shields with paint.

There is no realistic way you could mix PD to duplicate the intricate paint jobs seen at Darkon.

Meanwhile, plenty of links on the Darkon page showing gear, battle photos, tutorials, etc.

Such as:

http://wp.darkon.org/gear-gallery/

http://wp.darkon.org/category/making-be ... tutorials/

mtaylor wrote:I will ask again for anyone kind enough to answer. What is the process for getting an explicit rule listed in the rule book so the next person along does not have to ask?

You have the dubious distinction of being the first person ever to be confused by this.

Try coming out for a bit before trying to change the rules.
Beast of BABALON

mtaylor

Post by mtaylor » 2014-03-21

I have come out a bit, if being a new regular since November meets your undefined term. The point of course is that I am not trying to change the rules, but rather I am trying to get the Printed Rules to reflect the generally accepted unwritten interpretation of the rules. If you find that goal objectionable please let us discuss it further.

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2014-03-22

mtaylor wrote:

I have come out a bit, if being a new regular since November meets your undefined term. The point of course is that I am not trying to change the rules, but rather I am trying to get the Printed Rules to reflect the generally accepted unwritten interpretation of the rules. If you find that goal objectionable please let us discuss it further.

You haven't even been out long enough to Elder. So, no.

There is no "generally accepted unwritten interpretation"--paint can go on just about anything, including armor, shields, weapons, and sometimes even people. The rules speak to the construction of the shield in terms of its base components, not its decoration.

There does not need to be a rule spelling every last single painfully obvious thing out. You may eventually come to realize that being needlessly specific tends to create accidental loopholes and greater hassles.

Accept that you asked a silly question and move on. Deferring blame is a habit that leads to lower life achievement.
Beast of BABALON

mtaylor

Post by mtaylor » 2014-03-22

Thank you for demonstrating my point that ill defined terms lead to miscommunication.

Since you do not wish to engage in a civil discussion we will have to agree to disagree on the necessity of well written comprehensive documentation. It might be superfluous in your life experience, in my experience it enhances any endeavor.

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2014-03-22

mtaylor wrote:Thank you for demonstrating my point that ill defined terms lead to miscommunication.

Since you do not wish to engage in a civil discussion we will have to agree to disagree on the necessity of well written comprehensive documentation. It might be superfluous in your life experience, in my experience it enhances any endeavor.

No, there was no point of yours that has been demonstrated in any capacity. All that has been demonstrated is that you are an easily confused person who can't stand to be wrong.

Feel free to chalk up an imaginary victory, though. Take what you can get.
Beast of BABALON