New Swords and Same Tech for Black Glaives

For the posting of questions and information on equipment usable by the Realm of Darkon.
BilePlaguewind

New Swords and Same Tech for Black Glaives

Post by BilePlaguewind » 2012-02-04

Hey there,

I am looking to pick up one or two of these new aged Swords everyone is making with the unbreakable cores and one piece foam.

Also, is it possible to get one of these foam blades for a black glaive made from a Band shoppe pole?

Any help would be appreciated.
Bile Plaguewind, First Cleric of Khorne
Traveler of the Chaos Wastes
Elder Son of Kreaton

Sir Caetrel
President

Re: New Swords and Same Tech for Black Glaives

Post by Sir Caetrel » 2012-02-05

Tyriel sells blade kits and just made a bunch of them (for 2.5" x 1.5" white swords).

For a glaive blade kit..you would need 2" thick MC foam, which is expensive and somewhat useless outside of making glaive blades. Bandshoppe poles are 1" diameter, a roundnose router bit that size would be at best hard to find. You could probably get by with a half inch roundnose bit, which is what we all use to make regular blade kits. You'd have to set it to a half inch depth and mill out 2 parallel grooves to create one large groove.
Baron Caetrel Von Garren, KR, OSW, OR, OG, CC, CS
Lord Protector of The Northern Kingdoms
King of Sarum
High Priest of Torm The True, First Born of The Dragyn
Brother of The White Mantle
Knight of The Realm

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-02-06

^This is pretty much what you have to do. Getting the foam for glaive is expensive and you would have to get it in the largest size available, which is about 200 bucks. I plan on getting a sheet in the future, but im going in on it with a few folks.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Garwa Mayharr

Post by Garwa Mayharr » 2012-02-13

I would like to see one of these swords made with only one piece of foam. Can anyone post a picture of one?

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-02-13

http://wrapshot.wordpress.com/2011/03/2 ... my-swords/

This is how Anok makes our swords. This is his blog and has his projects including his PD work which is amazing.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-02-15

Garwa Mayharr wrote:I would like to see one of these swords made with only one piece of foam. Can anyone post a picture of one?

Tyriel beat me to it.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Garwa Mayharr

Post by Garwa Mayharr » 2012-02-15

OK wow, I am impressed. and I'm little jealous that I could not think of such a simple design. Tyriel did you make that design, and where can I get one?

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-02-15

Anok is the one who made that design. I sell sword and so does he. Hes a little cheaper than I am though
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~

BilePlaguewind

Post by BilePlaguewind » 2012-02-16

Everyone spouts that they sell the new swords left and right, but when I am trying to buy a new tech Stabby tip sword it seems about impossible to find someone. I ask around and they are always out of stock or whatever. Message me if you make them and can sell me 2 or 1 stabbing and 1 non stabbing tip. Anok, Tyrial, whoever.
Elder Son of Kreaton

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-02-16

Right now I am out of stock currently. I don't know about Anok. I was just stating that I do sell sword and so does Anok.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-02-20

BilePlaguewind wrote:Everyone spouts that they sell the new swords left and right, but when I am trying to buy a new tech Stabby tip sword it seems about impossible to find someone. I ask around and they are always out of stock or whatever. Message me if you make them and can sell me 2 or 1 stabbing and 1 non stabbing tip. Anok, Tyrial, whoever.

It also helps if you are nice to people... Other than Forged Foam/ Ed Hellen there is no one who is a Walmart of foam fighting supplies, these are people with real lives/jobs and such. * happens, pipe down.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-02-20

I believe Cailen usually has some Edhellen ones for sale. They are actually pretty decent if you arent a super harder hitter. Im sure Thrush would go through them like Fingers through a box of cadbury eggs, but those of us with the softer touch, they are nice. Ive had mine coming up on 2 years now with no issues.

I dont think they are stabbing tip friendly though.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-02-20

Nope, they need to be modified to stab in our game. Bel stabs with them out of the box though, its kinda crazy. The great weapons from edhellen are pretty unsafe in my opinion.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~

shroom2021
Darkonian

Post by shroom2021 » 2012-02-20

When I joined Darkon I inherited a used Edhellen max length white sword. That was a little over two years ago and despite my repeated efforts to break it against Chosen Bloods signature plate armor it has held up very well. The stabbing tip was simply the addition of crossed layers of plumbers foam stuffed/glued under the cover at the tip and has had to be replaced twice during the life of this weapon.
If you are like me an don't have the time/motivation to construct weapons from scratch I would highly recommend buying some from Calien. Most of his items are out of the box ready to go and will serve their purpose. They are easy to modify and personalize and are pretty inexpensive compared to other prices I have seen. I have also spotted a couple of sites online that are selling PD stuff now. I don't have the URLs on hand but I can post them later. the weapons are designed for use in dag so I am pretty sure they will pass Darkon inspection.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-02-21

Sir Tyriel Firebrand wrote:The great weapons from edhellen are pretty unsafe in my opinion.

In mine too. Unreal, those things.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Garwa Mayharr

Post by Garwa Mayharr » 2012-02-21

I like them, but they are just to hard of a foam. My brother has a pair of hand axes. He's a Heavy hitter and those axes just won't break in.

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-02-21

I use a converted edhellen blacksword sometimes, I refitted the stabbing tip. Havnt had any issues with it, but I dont use it too often.

BilePlaguewind

Post by BilePlaguewind » 2012-02-23

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:
BilePlaguewind wrote:Everyone spouts that they sell the new swords left and right, but when I am trying to buy a new tech Stabby tip sword it seems about impossible to find someone. I ask around and they are always out of stock or whatever. Message me if you make them and can sell me 2 or 1 stabbing and 1 non stabbing tip. Anok, Tyrial, whoever.

It also helps if you are nice to people... Other than Forged Foam/ Ed Hellen there is no one who is a Walmart of foam fighting supplies, these are people with real lives/jobs and such. * happens, pipe down.

Thrush
berserk

Thrush, I wasn't being anything but nice to people. I have said how nice I believe their craftsmanship is and am even willing to pay the money they are asking for. I think I was being fairly complimentary. I realize people are busy and was trying to get the word out there was all.
Elder Son of Kreaton

Calus
Darkonian

Post by Calus » 2012-02-23

I have the same problem, whenver I want the latest in swords/shields everyone is out of stock. But it's understandable when demand is so high and only a handful of people take the time to make them and sell them. Cailen does sell good stuff, and out of everyone I speak to he seems to be the only one with something always on hand.
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-02-24

Its cause he can buy it from the walmart of swordfighting lol
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-02-24

Calus wrote:Cailen does sell good stuff, and out of everyone I speak to he seems to be the only one with something always on hand.

He guarantees the stuff he sells.

My sword broke two events ago (glue came loose because the dumbasses at Edhellen don't glue the entire thing). He had it back to me last event and better than ever.
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2012-02-24

Sir Tyriel Firebrand wrote:Its cause he can buy it from the walmart of swordfighting lol

rofl :) actually I sell more spears, daggers, sheilds, and morningstars then blades all of which I make myself.

I do not sell stabby tips because they inherently break down and I like to guarentee what I sell :)

The large swords from edhellen have a beast for a core and they add a lot of foam to help get them to pass but because they can be a hit or miss on weather they pass or not with Darkon I do not sell them ...

Thier min length great sword has the smaller core and holds up extremely well that is why I sell that model.

I always make custom orders (that do not include stab tips) as needed.

Lately got tired of lugging around an armory to events - it takes away from me actually being able to participate and have fun that being said anytime anyone needs anything please contact me and I will get you what you need :) when I am only bringing one or two items to a event it is easy to do and I enjoy the challenge.

Last batch of swords I got two of them that had the exact same issue they seperated from the core soon after they started being used... because I guarentee my sales I resurched a repair then spent out of pocket cash and time and fuel to make sure they got fixed, in the end it actually cost me money to sell them when it was all figured together :) But my reputation is more important to me then any cash therefore I did what was needed to make sure it was handled. I do not make really any profit on the swords that I sell - I get a discount from edhellen on the blade which makes it cheaper to me to buy from them then to spend the time and materials to make it myself. I add a cross guard and sometimes recover them. In the end I sell them at the online price (for the stock blade without quillions) minus 10% and do not charge any shipping which I take directly out of my profits...nor do I mark it up for adding the quillions which they charge 14 to 16 dollors for which is a fair amount. I do it as a labor of love for those brothers and sisters that need safe gear to hit me with :) Also I guarentee all I sell for 6 months which edhellen does not do. So again when a edhellen blade fails (which rarely happens because if it did I would not be selling them) I eat the cost to repair. I do not cover core breakage or obvious mistreating of the blade (sizzors or using a weapon not as intended) but that is common sense.

I do have a edhellen blade I converted to stabby and can show you how to do that to them but in good concience can not guarentee such a blade (mine has lasted 3 years only use it off and on though).

Hope that helps and thank you everyone for the kind words on my goods.
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++