AR3 ARMOR

For the posting of questions and information on equipment usable by the Realm of Darkon.
Dhurkan Toj Akhari

AR3 ARMOR

Post by Dhurkan Toj Akhari » 2012-05-21

Ok, I am going to break down and make some armor. I like learning new things and this sounds interesting. However, I have no idea where to get the leather required for this project. Anyone know where I can pick up some cheap leather? Looking at either making studded, ring or possible lamellar hide. Any help is appreciated

smelton

Re: AR3 ARMOR

Post by smelton » 2012-05-21

Tandy Leather or Brettuns Village.
Smelton MaCath
Blacksmith of Tyrcath
Druid of the Great Bear

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-05-21

justleather.com
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-05-21

Hole punches for rivets tend to die fast. I will often use a drill for extended leather projects.
buy HUNDREDS of rivets. I think with 2 pieces of hide, i use tandy's "medium" size rivet. I also get the "double sided rivet" because the single sided one has a better chance of cutting you or your garb on the backside of the rivet.

Tin snips cut 10oz pretty well. They also have scissors specific for leather, havnt tried them on 10.

Fiebings black dye has always worked for me, and I do all my waxing and finishing with "johnson's paste wax" found at home depot.
I buy just about all other leather products from tandy leather.
If you can bear the trip to essex, you will save on shipping.
10oz veg tanned leather is what you are after. Pre dyed/treated will likely be rather expensive.
a side may cost you up to 125 bucks? Should be enough to make a harness.
just like with rivets, its better to have more than less. I always get a bit more than I need.

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2012-05-21

I use the copper rivets, personally. I find the other snap rivets can come free. If you are concerned about sizing before putting the copper ones in place, you can always use Chicago screws temporarily.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Kobalos

Post by Kobalos » 2012-05-21

-Inox- wrote:I use the copper rivets, personally. I find the other snap rivets can come free.

^This. If you look at my leather harness, you'll see a mix of copper and snap rivets because I've replaced all the snap rivets that popped with copper rivets, which are essentially permanent (if you do it correctly).

I also use the type of punch that you whack with a hammer--the pliers-style punches wear out too quickly for my taste. For both the punch and the riveting, a dead-blow hammer from Lowes/Home Depot works great.
--Κοβαλος

Baron Kobalos
Fauzi ibn-al-Rashid al-Halabi, KR, OR, CB
Steward of House Dubh
Director, First Royal Darkon Trust
Head NC Armor Marshal 2014

Dhurkan Toj Akhari

Post by Dhurkan Toj Akhari » 2012-05-22

Ok, I found a place that is willing to sell some leather cheap, however it is 24 sqft. at 3.05 per sqft. I think that is a fair price, but do I need 24 sqft? Was thinking 6 or 7. What do you Darkonians think?

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-05-22

24' sq is about the size of a side.
if you are going to get 10oz leather that isn't f'd up for 3 dollars a sq ft, you are getting a hella deal. I would buy assloads of this.

You will want a whole side (especially at that price). With that you should be able to make a harness and maybe some bracers/ shins.
often you have to cut around blemishes, holes and warped spots in the leather.

in fact, link to vendor?

5oz leather is about 5-7$ a sq ft at tandy.

Dhurkan Toj Akhari

Post by Dhurkan Toj Akhari » 2012-05-28

No pics of the hide, and it is "economy hide"... Well there goes that idea. I finally found a site that is really cool. Vikingleathercrafts.com. the owner is very nice, and responds to emails fairly rapidly. They also have some cool armor for decent prices.

Dhurkan Toj Akhari

Post by Dhurkan Toj Akhari » 2012-06-25

Ok, I ordered some leather scales (13/15 oz) from vikingleathercrafts.com for a decent price. I plan on making lamellar style armor, but now I am confused by the wording in the Rulebook. If the scales are all laced together one on top of the other, does it still have to be on a backing of heavy cloth or lighter leather?

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-06-25

No, I believe not if it's overlapping. Now, if your scales individually are too thin to be armor grade hide, I'm not sure... Like, my new scale armor is double or triple everywhere on the piece, and each piece individually is hide armor... But it is not mounted onto a backing. It is modeled after an SCA legal piece...

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Dhurkan Toj Akhari

Post by Dhurkan Toj Akhari » 2012-06-25

The individual scales are at least 13 oz. I will bring a couple to practice tomorrow for u to look at thrush...

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-06-26

I am now missing practice due to real life this week... poo

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Dhurkan Toj Akhari

Post by Dhurkan Toj Akhari » 2012-06-26

Yeah I am in the same boat this week....it sucks...

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-06-27

Hide is armor in which a single layer of leather is at least 10 oz. in thickness. Multiple thinner layers that add up to 10 oz. or greater DO NOT count. Any single piece of armor (greave, torso, bracers, etc.) that contains ANY area under 10 oz. in thickness (other than fastening straps) does not count as Hide. Any armor type (scale, lamellar, brigandine, etc.) made wholly with 10-oz. leather (excluding straps and
backing material) shall be considered AC3 Hide armor as long as the scales/plates overlap or butt (i.e., within 1/4") against adjoining scales/plates. A green armband must always be worn with this armor type, so as to readily distinguish it from AC 4.

There is no direct wording for such, so if you can suspend them with the overlap needed, have at. Besides, it wouldnt make sense to add more leather/ substance to an item that already has overlap. You may wish to mount it to a light leather or canvas backing anyhow, though. (unless of coarse the scales are designed as to be used by lace suspension). I would verify with the head armor marshal first (Braxus/ Soul Lo)

Dhurkan Toj Akhari

Post by Dhurkan Toj Akhari » 2012-06-27

The lacing pattern I will be using came from an SCA armor archive. I can't remember the link off the top of my head and is lace suspended. If I can make the next event I will bring a sample for review.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-06-28

If you don't wanna run the risk of not having your hide armor count as AC3, do what I did, make sure there's no place where your already 10+ oz leather isn't doubled up! Also modeled after an SCA legal piece:

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-06-28

oh for *'s sake... we haven't fixed this yet? Never mind, you guys can't see normally formatted pix on this board... sux to be you. I, like most people, have a wide screen monitor, there are 4 * inches of brown background color on BOTH SIDES of this "active screen"... But, guess that's more important than being able to share pix...

here's the link to the actual picture:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash ... 1192_n.jpg

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-06-28

I just right click > view image, personally.

Dhurkan Toj Akhari

Post by Dhurkan Toj Akhari » 2012-06-28

http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/cata ... cts_id=448 here is the link to the scales.

And this is the link for the lacing pattern: http://www.skaldic.com/lamellarlacing.htm