YOUR NEWBIES LOOK LIKE $HIT DARKON!!!!!

For the posting of questions and information on equipment usable by the Realm of Darkon.
Thrush Svartehjertet

YOUR NEWBIES LOOK LIKE $HIT DARKON!!!!!

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-06-11

aka: CLOTHE YOUR NOOB FOR $20 AND HAVE HIM/HER LOOK BETTER THAN HALF OF DARKON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that I have your attention...

It has occurred many times (specifically more annoyingly often since Darkon went to $5 per event) that I have heard Darkon vets and noobs make excuses for * garb because it's unfair to expect someone to spend $100 to look good. Well sure. Fine... have it your way.

There are people in foam fighting around the United States who like good garb and see how the quality of the way players look increases the quality of game play overall. These people know a * ton more about garb than I ever could. They decided to sponsor a $20 garb contest!

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE DARKON, SEND YOUR NEWBIES TO THIS THREAD!!!! Hell, DARKON VETS WHO LOOK LIKE CRAP, please read this thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.dagorhir.com/forums/index.ph ... 077.0.html
(photos/instructions/stores/prices)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So really, if you are ever in a conversation with me about why it's ok or give me an excuse why someone looks like fresh dog dookie... THIS is why I laugh at you and think you suck at life.

$20 to not look like:

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

shroom2021
Darkonian

Re: YOUR NEWBIES LOOK LIKE $HIT DARKON!!!!!

Post by shroom2021 » 2013-06-11

Just a reminder. I do keep extra garb(decent garb at that) in my vehicle at almost every event I attend. Just send your craptasticly garbed newbs over to Elidor and as for Cael. If I have a piece I will lend it out. So far everyone has been pretty good about returning the garb. I also wash everything that gets used in between events.

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Aethilgar » 2013-06-11

I'll take credit/blame for the 4th and 5th slides above... and state that they are both in knee length tunics now.

No excuses... action.

I don't expect my new folks to have everything they need to play... but they will, at least, be in a tunic and using safe weapons.
Baron Aethilgar Sheldwich

Facta non Verba

"Arguing on the forums is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After some time, you realize that you are getting dirty, but the pig is actually enjoying it."

Ericson
Darkonian

Post by Ericson » 2013-06-11

So what exactly is your problem with my garb in slide 8? A leftover pocket, that is normally not visible because of my tunic, showing up while I am lunging towards someone for a hit? I do not see you complaining about your buddies that show off their Under-Armor logos when they garb falls out of alignment.

If a 1" x 3" piece of fabric angers you so much, then the problem is yours and not mine.

Thrush Svartehjertet

shroom2021 wrote:Just a reminder. I do keep extra garb(decent garb at that) in my vehicle at almost every event I attend. Just send your craptasticly garbed newbs over to Elidor and as for Cael. If I have a piece I will lend it out. So far everyone has been pretty good about returning the garb. I also wash everything that gets used in between events.

Seriously, this guy brings loaner garb to every event!!!! (really freakin' awesome btw)

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-06-11

Thrush cannot immerse himself fully in the fantasy realm because you are wearing shorts! Nevermind those cars over there, or the Underarmor shirts on the field! THIS IS SRS BSNESS!!!

:D
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Thrush Svartehjertet

Ericson wrote:So what exactly is your problem with my garb in slide 8? A leftover pocket, that is normally not visible because of my tunic, showing up while I am lunging towards someone for a hit? I do not see you complaining about your buddies that show off their Under-Armor logos when they garb falls out of alignment.

If a 1" x 3" piece of fabric angers you so much, then the problem is yours and not mine.

Just looked like someone in a shirt and shorts and boots who threw on a tunic. Didn't know who it was. I merely scanned through pics from the last 7 months and anything that jumped out at me I grabbed. No faces...

If you think that's good garb, and took your time with it... then I commend you for you efforts. I'm not quite clear who you are by name... and I really didn't pay any attention, just copied stuff that my eyes caught. sorry...

Also, I think under armor looks like crap, PLEASE post pictures from the last year or so of people wearing under armor so we can ridicule them. It is just as terrible as crap garb... Ask Red how often I give him * for his neon blue UA shirt...

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Thrush Svartehjertet

Also, if the top edge of a t shirt or Under Armor protruding from under sweet garb and armor is the same thing in one's eyes as the pictures I posted above as examples of * newb garb... Then we REALLY have nothing to talk about. Being obtuse doesn't get anyone anywhere. I'm trying to make Darkon look better, $20 or less at a time. What are YOU doing?

Last I checked I took my own advice and upgraded every level of my kit:

-23 hours making my own armor
-$40 tunic
-$40 pants
-$30 winingas
-$185 Viking boots

All while wearing Shock Doctor and Nike football padding...

I think me suggesting people try to look like this:

All made for under $20, while giving instructions on a lot of it... Is pretty far within my rights with the effort I have put forth.

But, I believe the term is: "haters are going to hate"... or some such silliness.

Thrush
not a sucka
Warriors Guild

Ericson
Darkonian

Post by Ericson » 2013-06-11

No problem Thrush, I should not have rushed to judgement myself.

That picture was taken during the Jugging tournament, in which I took off all of my armor and padding for the fighting. So that picture is basically me in my medieval underwear, so to speak. Missing is the padded tunic (hand-sewn with faux black leather sides), chain mail shirt, and leather armor which covers my legs. If you look at the pictures of the Elidorian Jugging team, basically everyone did the same thing and dropped all unnecessary garb.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-06-11

get that bitch some shiny pants. bitches love shiny pants.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Ericson wrote:
No problem Thrush, I should not have rushed to judgement myself.

*salutes*

Just got my sweet new Viking hats in from this cool chick in Michigan:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=943

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

shroom2021
Darkonian

Post by shroom2021 » 2013-06-13

I gotta say I completely agree with Thrush. There really is no excuse for looking like crap after your first five events.

Don't have money? T-tunics are inexpensive and can be made out of anything. An hour of hand stitching and your done. Your mothers old linen and some thread will run you a couple of dollars (mostly for the thread). Pants are easy, look for some plain pajama pants. Sweats are fine, but I have found that pjs tend to look a little better. Or look up wrap pants/silly pants. It works and looks fine.
Boots? take some left over bedsheet and a staple gun, staple the bottom to the rubber soles and wrap the rest of the fabric around your boot/shoe. Tie something around it to secure or punch holes and put in a toggle. Not everthing on your feet has to be leather.

Have a little bit of money? Salvation Army, Good Will, Thrift stores. I am constantly procuring stuff from them that requires only a little alteration to look decent. Took a pair of 4 dollar boots that had a single velcro strap and put a buckle on them. Not the best, but it beats Nikes. With this option you will probably need multiple visits to find the right stuff. Occasionally you will find something muslim or indian which in my experience requires almost no alteration. Again, for pants pjs work fine, just try to stay away from the playstation/angry birds pjs. Look for some dark colored boots/shoes. Sometimes you don't even need to alter them to be passing. We seem to be more tolerant of footwear looking modern so long as it doesn't scream NIKE across the side.

Have some more money? medievalcollectibles, badass garb, and a slew of other sites I cannot immediately recall(including the place I purchased my skirtl from, can't remember the name but the price was maybe 60 dollars, a fantastic deal considering I have been wearing it for over 2 years and it only has a little hole in some of the stitching. I think thrush got his blue one from the same place) Hell, ask someone who is dressed well where they got there stuff and then go there, if its too expensive look on amazon or any number of sites. Focus on getting yourself looking good from about 10 feet away and then save some more money and build off of that. Pick an idea and stick to it until you are done.

Have lots of money? Come see me and bring your wallet. I won't make you anything, but I'll gladly accept your money :)

There are plenty of ways to save money. I tried MANY MANY times to wear winnigas right. They just kept falling off my legs and coming undone so I went out to cvs and got some ace bandages. From a distance they look fine, from close up the effect lessens, but they still resemble what I was trying to acheive, they also don't fall off my legs like the real thing. Total cost for me to look slightly more like a Dane from the 800's? 4$ A little bit of dye from walmart and I will have invested a wopping 6 bucks.

Note that I haven't mentioned armor at all. Armor is armor and not garb. It can cover bad garb but you may not always be wearing it. What would you do if your armor doesn't pass check in and the only thing you are wearing underneath is spandex and track pants? Look like crap, thats what. I certainly wouldn't expect you to wear your armor anyway and endanger myself and everyone else on the field just so you can continue to look good.
Plus armor that looks good will look great over an awesome set of garb.

*end rant, consume coffee*

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-06-13

EXACTLY!

www.linengarb.com
http://www.tailoredtunics.com
http://badassgarb.com

All have "cheap" options. But the thread I initially posted from the Dag boards is FOR REAL cheap.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-06-13

I made my own shirt out of $1.50 worth of black broad cloth and stole a pair of my mom's Fruit of the Loom black cotton pants. That was 1993. I still wear them.

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2013-06-13

fingers630 wrote:I made my own shirt out of $1.50 worth of black broad cloth and stole a pair of my mom's Fruit of the Loom black cotton pants. That was 1993. I still wear them.

But now they fit ALOT tighter!
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Survivor of The Asylum Mal'volus
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...

Thrush Svartehjertet

Black is slimming... They say.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-06-13

The pants still fit the same :)
The shirt is a little more snug around the chest, but its all that Iron Ive been pumping!

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2013-06-13

Ericson wrote:So what exactly is your problem with my garb in slide 8? A leftover pocket, that is normally not visible because of my tunic, showing up while I am lunging towards someone for a hit? I do not see you complaining about your buddies that show off their Under-Armor logos when they garb falls out of alignment.

Seriously? What is medieval or fantasy about that outfit other than the Elidor surcoat (which you were handed, and did not make yourself)?

He's right to come down on shorts, boots, and what looks like a modern shirt. It shows no effort is being made, and as long as we're going to be dressing up in funny clothes, making some basic effort is key.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Thrush Svartehjertet

Inox, Ericson seemed to indicate he was in full garb during the Darkon portion of the fighting, but got hot during the jugging tourney/game and it wasn't too out of place to take your outter garb off... I had no way of knowing it from my looking at pictures, so I called him out on it (which changes nothing about the fact that i used it to great effect in my post!!!)... he explained and understood where i was coming from.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-06-14

Current rules state that if you drop your garb level = one stick

I wanted to have it be 1 stick and a 1 hit creature... but hey.

FTR, my goblin costume was literally made out of scraps. All of it. The armor (sans shinguards), headpiece, brown tunic.

Sewing machine+ time+ effort = kit

Ericson
Darkonian

Post by Ericson » 2013-06-14

-Inox- wrote:He's right to come down on shorts, boots, and what looks like a modern shirt. It shows no effort is being made, and as long as we're going to be dressing up in funny clothes, making some basic effort is key.

You will never see me wear "medieval" boots, because I value the use of my ankles and feet too much. You can complain about modern footwear all day long, but there is a reason boots now have rubber soles. I wear the most comfortable pair of boots ever, my black leather combat boots that I have worn for 9 years. And I will keep wearing them because they have no logos, do not stand out in the field, and allow me to walk straight the next day.

It would be more authentic for people to buy a piece of wood and carve out footwear, but I do not see you (or anyone else) doing that because it is a terrible idea and would cause more injuries.

The shorts I wear (only during summer) are a pair of plain brown, oversized, and have the stitching torn out along the bottom. No logos, plain, and the pockets are not normally visible. Does creating the exact same thing with a sewing machine automatically mean it is "medieval"?

And the shirt is plain fabric, no logos. No different than what I would create by hand. I mean sure, I could cut a slit down the front to make it look more "medieval", if you will, but I prefer to have the shirt cover my chest hair and prevent it from being stuck in my chain mail.

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2013-06-14

I think what people are trying to say here is that even though your stuff has no logos, its looks obviously modern. I would agree with the same thing that Thrush and Inox are saying. Garb has gotten pretty bad over the years and people have stepped up, including myself, to make it better. I will admit though, I wear black tennis shoes sometimes so im not gonna get on you about footwear. Your garb does leave a bit to be desired though. I feel like the days of t shirts and sweats need to GTFO.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-06-14

Ericson wrote:You will never see me wear "medieval" boots, because I value the use of my ankles and feet too much. You can complain about modern footwear all day long, but there is a reason boots now have rubber soles. I wear the most comfortable pair of boots ever, my black leather combat boots that I have worn for 9 years. And I will keep wearing them because they have no logos, do not stand out in the field, and allow me to walk straight the next day.

Allow me to introduce you to something super exciting:

http://www.bootsbybohemond.net

All available with a Vibram, modern, sole!!!!!!!!!

I wear these:
They are fairly accurate "Baltic Viking Boots".

With a modern, Vibram sole. LOVE THEM!!!! I wear a size 11 - 11.5, come try them on if you like.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

shroom2021
Darkonian

Post by shroom2021 » 2013-06-15

The shorts I wear (only during summer) are a pair of plain brown, oversized, and have the stitching torn out along the bottom. No logos, plain, and the pockets are not normally visible. Does creating the exact same thing with a sewing machine automatically mean it is "medieval"?

And the shirt is plain fabric, no logos. No different than what I would create by hand. I mean sure, I could cut a slit down the front to make it look more "medieval", if you will, but I prefer to have the shirt cover my chest hair and prevent it from being stuck in my chain mail.

I don't think Thrush hit you with the bus because your garb isn't passing, but because it is only passing. Cutting your shirt down the center won't do anything to dissuade the eye from recognizing a military PT shirt when it sees one. I got it though, it's hot out and the PT shirt is very comfortable in any weather, but it shows little to no motivation to improve upon your appearance. When your wearing your armor it doesn't show as badly, but if you had good garb you wouldn't be getting called out for resembling someone who just stepped on the field a month ago.

Contrary to popular opinion it does not take a lot of money or time to get a great kit together. There are plenty of tutorials on making everything from an arming cotte to a simple bell tunic. Many of these are pretty quick and easy(well maybe not the arming cotte). Hell, when I showed up to my first event I had spent a couple of hours stiching half of a bathrobe onto a fencing half vest because I wanted to look as good as possible, not just passing.

Bottom line here if I am understanding the thread correctly is that people need to put more effort into their garb.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-06-15

Also that it can be done for less than $20! :D lol

I also only grabbed pix that jumped off the screen, wasn't singling ANYONE out. Just tryin' to show what can be done away with for $20 or less... ;)

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild