A "Garb Compendium" to help new/lazy players look good

For the posting of questions and information on equipment usable by the Realm of Darkon.
Thrush Svartehjertet

A "Garb Compendium" to help new/lazy players look good

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-07-03

So Belegarth is another national foam fighting game. They use their wiki incessantly to track things like Character pages and Knight's lineages back to the 80's and stuff. But, there's also some turbo useful stuff on there. Like this:

http://www.geddon.org/Garb_Compendium

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Re: A "Garb Compendium" to help new/lazy players look good

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-07-20

"I'll have what he's having."

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-07-22

?
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-07-22

I think he's saying you must be on something. Possibly because the domain is expired. (Or so it says when I click it...)

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-07-22

It wasn't expired when I posted it.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

[__Yak__]

Post by [__Yak__] » 2013-07-23

I've been sitting here refreshing my browser for the past couple days and it appears to be BACK!

http://www.geddon.org/Garb_Compendium

My work here is done ...

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-07-23

Lord Valfryn wrote:"I'll have what he's having."

Total derp on my part. This was supposed to have been posted underneath your "high tech foam" post.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-07-24

Sweet, I'm glad it's back, we should steal it and put it on the website under it's own page for NEW PLAYERS LOOK HERE!!!

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

[__Yak__]

Post by [__Yak__] » 2013-07-24

I bought the domain foamnomads.org and will probably start putting together resources for newbies. Being a nOOb myself - it's a lot of Hansel and Gretel through the Internet to find information. Yeah - it's all there - but it's spread out all over. Look on the Darkon site and tell me anywhere where it says what time an event actually starts? It's not on the Events page - or under Events in the rulebook. Want to garb up? Sweatpants and a black shirt - go to a thrift store. How about some how-to's? How about showing the $20 Garb Contest Dag has run? How about showing this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ0BY6cuzPs
Want to find a country? Come and hang out with all the countries and decide - great concept, but I don't know how many straight-up walk-ons are suave enough socially to approach people scrambling to get weapons checked to see if they can roll with them for a day. Even though we're all nerds - I'm not sure that's enough of an unspoken bond to transcend the "you're a noob and I'm not" barrier that seems to be there (some people & countries more than others). And I get it - because what is the burn rate on new players? 80%? 90% never show up to a second event? I know people were surprised when I showed up to the second event. I know people were downright flabergasted that I had a tunic at my first event! It's really expected that if you come to Darkon - someone IN Darkon brought you - and all those questions will be answered.

I have mad-crazy respect for everyone who's been in the game a long time. I try to recognize nobility in role play with a little "m'lord" here and a "your grace" there - which by the way - no one else seems to really do. But the longer you've been in the game the easier to forget what it's like to be new.

I get that we're all adults (except the 16 year-olds that keep kicking my ass) and that it's our responsibility to find out information, guides, rules, etc. But it can be made easier - and I think I'm gonna try.

Sorry for the rant - please know that it is aimed at no one in particular and this may not be the best place to air it - but it's been building up inside of me over all the time I've been digging for information. A boil that I will now consider lanced.

- Yak

PS - Thrush - foamnomads.org may sponsor your next sword if you put the URL on the cover! :-)

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-07-24

Anok (Kevin) and I have talked for at least 2 years about making a players handbook for new players. Giving a new player a rule book is like giving an immigrant the Webster's dictionary.

This should happen. A "for your fist 3 events do this..." type brochure that is less than 10 pages in length.

Thrush
berserk

PS: I don't think a url is very in character for a 900 AD Viking... lol
Warriors Guild

[__Yak__]

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:PS: I don't think a url is very in character for a 900 AD Viking... lol

"This pillaging brought to you by ...

... for all your foam-fighting newbie needs.

Also ... Bjorn's Longships ... at Bjorn's we use only the finest woods for our ships. If you are not totally satisfied with your longship you may fight Bjorn any time you like ... "

Boom. Done. I'll have the contract at the next event ...

- Yak

[__Yak__]

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:Anok (Kevin) and I have talked for at least 2 years about making a players handbook for new players. Giving a new player a rule book is like giving an immigrant the Webster's dictionary.

Stop being such secretive bastards!

- Yak

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-07-24

[__Yak__] wrote: I try to recognize nobility in role play with a little "m'lord" here and a "your grace" there - which by the way - no one else seems to really do.

You're just not hanging around the people who do.

House Dubh uses the titles (except for me, there are some people who do not get such titles). Most people in Northern Kingdoms use the titles. BAMC tends to use titles properly as well.

On the other hand, there are countries that don't like the titles, and won't use them because that's simply not how they operate. That is also RP. Laconia has always refused to bend knee before any noble of Darkon and usually does not call them by titles. Ched Nasad is another group that is less likely to call people by titles (and usually will not bend knee before any such titles).

The rest of Darkon, IMO, is in between the two ends.

Oh, and you will also have characters that do not use such titles. I have a cleric that scoffs at the entire idea of nobility and only ever uses them mockingly.

[__Yak__]

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:You're just not hanging around the people who do.

That's good to know. I'm in Ched and there is a big difference (to me) between taking a knee and giving a respectful nod. Service is not subservience. I also do a nice chest salute to anyone I cross who I know and like.

I'm perfectly fine with being disliked because I show too much respect!

- Yak

[__Yak__]

I didn't think foamnomads.org was going to have to have a forum - but this one appears to have its css all busted up!

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-07-24

Daaah, we used to have a "New to darkon?" thread. Not sure if it's on this board or "the board of which we do not speak".

Was a pretty good thread, lots of useful info... then it kind of became a "ding-dong measuring" sort of thread. But the first 3 or so pages were good.

I feel so dirty, but... http://darkonsunofficialmessageboard.yuku.com/topic/568/NEW-TO-DARKON#.UfB_L23ZXOk

http://darkon.org/intro.html

Check-in begins at 12, event starts at 1.

I say the same thing to every new face I see.. "Ask questions, ask around, talk to every unit before buying that matching speedo."

FTR, Yak is a straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-07-24

I just read through that thread, there were like five useful comments.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-07-25

[__Yak__] wrote:
Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:Anok (Kevin) and I have talked for at least 2 years about making a players handbook for new players. Giving a new player a rule book is like giving an immigrant the Webster's dictionary.

Stop being such secretive bastards!

- Yak

It's more that we have all the ideas, and next to no follow through. Also we're just 2 dudes, not in charge of anything.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

[__Yak__]

Post by [__Yak__] » 2013-07-25

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:Also we're just 2 dudes, not in charge of anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVF9lZ-i_ss

"Can't stop the signal, Mal."

We're gonna do this.

- Yak

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2013-07-25

Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Survivor of The Asylum Mal'volus