Walk-ins

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
Reg06

Walk-ins

Post by Reg06 » 2013-08-19

Darkonians,

Coming up in October I'll be moving on to phase 2 of my AIT program, and I get to pick which hospital I go to from the available list (probably the last time in a long time I'll get that sort of freedom). I'd much rather go the D.C. area than any of the other really awful forts, and I do end up over there I'd like to try out Darkon.

Assuming I get my own garb, how likely am I to be able to show up to an event, then 1)get signed up, 2)find someone with a spear to buy and 3)participate in a battle that first event?

Thanks,
Reg06

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Re: Walk-ins

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-08-19

None of these things are exceedingly difficult. The major problem is 2 & 3 cannot be joined together, unless you are using a small spear. We have a rule against new players using a two-handed weapon for their first five events.

Several people sell weapons of all types, though spears are less often sold by people (you might want to talk to Pat Kelly/Cailen, as he has sold spears in the past). Signing up is easy - it happens every event! You simply walk up to a line, tell them you are new, sign a waiver and pay and you're done. After that, you can mill around until the newbie speech (for all people with 5 events or less), and then right into fighting!
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

Zentor

Post by Zentor » 2013-08-20

TJ, they cant use any spears. Even ones considered one handed can easily be used with both, so they dont allow it.

Lots of people have loaner weapons, just ask around. Some countries will invite you over to a build session and help you make weapons for yourself as well.

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2013-08-20

Greetings Reg06,
I am Pat Kelly and I do sell spears when asked. It will not be until your 6th battle that you can use one according to our rules for safety reasons so that you get to know how we do things and get the chance to practice with it before using it on the field. There are many people that lend gear including but not limited to myself just let me know what you want to use and I will try and provide it if I am able so you can try it out. If you have any other questions just send me a personal message anytime and I will be honored to help you as I am able.

In Service,
HRM Cailen Sendor
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Varnak_the_UnNamed

Post by Varnak_the_UnNamed » 2013-08-21

Often you can fight with a country that is already there. I and other costume marshals will most likely be the first to talk to you when you get in line. We will direct you on where to go to get checked in and can make suggestions on who might take you in. My country Ched Nasad is always willing to show a new player how to play and lend weapons. If you like Darkon, then you just need to find a country. Technically you could just be nomad but it always helps to have a team of guys show you the ropes and most countries are always recruiting.
-Suelk Varnak the UnNamed of Ched Nasad

Eclesiarch of Slaa-eth
Keeper of Asylym Male'Volus
The Oathbreaker
Bearer of the Seed
The Lost Prince
Fang of Shub-Rath
Scourge of Ctelotho
Wielder of Y'Drasooth, the ancestral Holy Weapon of the Lost

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-08-21

Varnak_the_UnNamed wrote:Technically you could just be nomad but it always helps to have a team of guys show you the ropes and most countries are always recruiting.

There are also two independent retinues in the game.

It's like being a nomad, but still having a team!
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

Warboss Gutzmangul
Darkonian

Post by Warboss Gutzmangul » 2013-08-21

If you want to come out and find yourself a country, I recommend trying out a number of different groups of people. See who you get along with best, see who's RP style fits yours, see who's just fun to be around. Some groups have try-out periods as you petition to be part of their country. Some folks are less formal about such things.

The orks of WAAAGH! are always happy to have new players run with us if smashing people and yelling is your thing.

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Aethilgar » 2013-08-22

Warboss Gutzmangul wrote:If you want to come out and find yourself a country, I recommend trying out a number of different groups of people. See who you get along with best, see who's RP style fits yours, see who's just fun to be around. Some groups have try-out periods as you petition to be part of their country. Some folks are less formal about such things.

I agree completely; many countries will welcome a new player. It is important that you find a group of people that enhance your fun and fit with your goals and personality.
Baron Aethilgar Sheldwich

Facta non Verba

"Arguing on the forums is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After some time, you realize that you are getting dirty, but the pig is actually enjoying it."

Reg06

Post by Reg06 » 2013-08-23

All good info to have. Thanks everybody.

Reg06

Post by Reg06 » 2013-09-10

I'll be working out of the Walter Reed Army Medical Center (over by the Silver Spring/Chillum area), and presumably living nearby. It's in what looks like downtown D.C. Is that reasonably close to where the Darkon events usually take place?

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-09-11

Yep Darkon is based in the Balt/DC/VA area. DC will probably be 45min -1hr from any event except campouts. Maybe closer to some.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People