Documentary

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
Morlock

Documentary

Post by Morlock » 2012-01-26

Hi,
I saw a documentary on the Game yesterday on tv. It was very interesting. I was wondering when it was made, because in checking the game stats here online I see that the largest country during the documentary is now gone. What happen to Mordom? Are the people in the documentary still playing the game or have they dropped out? And what happened to the guy who went up against Mordom in the video documentary. I can't remember his name. Did he ever succeed in toppling the country of Mordom or was it someone else?
Sorry for all the questions, but I really liked the documentary.

Thanks,
Morlock

SkweeTheGoblin
Darkonian

Re: Documentary

Post by SkweeTheGoblin » 2012-01-26

People will probably step in to correct me but I believe I can answer your questions. I believe it was made about 7 years ago, that is give or take mind you, seeing as I have only been playing for about a year. Mordom is still around but, from what I understand, they purposely went defunct and started what we kindly call New Mordom (it has a proper name but that escapes me at the moment). Most of the people in the documentary are still there except for Bannor (Skip) who had to leave Darkon for personal reasons. I do not know if he ever succeeded in toppling Mordom or not. Anymore questions you have, feel free to ask.
Skweee of WAAAGH!!!
Wearer of the BIGGEST crown in Darkon
Ork proclaimed "King"

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-01-26

Mordom is gone, yes. There is New Mordom, which contains some of the members of Mordom and a lot of new people (as the name could imply).

The people featured in the documentary, for the most part, either don't come out at all or show up very rarely. I can't think of a person in there that fields on anywhere near a regular basis.
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-01-26

They are all too busy for darkon, what with eating dinner at 3pm and going to bed by 4....
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2012-01-26

I was in the documentary briefly (I am the guy that talks for like 5 seconds about the immediacy of the experience, toward the end of the film).

The movie was filmed primarily in 2004.

Anyhow, Skip/Bannor never succeeded in toppling Mordom. The final fight for the movie was a complete rout; they had to edit it to make it look even close. Bannor was killed on the field. A Cleric on our side cast Resurrection on him for that final fight with Keldar. I know, because I was one of the ones hitting him when he went down, and I pretended to cut his head off & then held his helmet up by the mane. That didn't make it into the movie. :D

Skip later left the game for personal reasons, and I wish him well. His leaving, and his failure to topple Mordom are, to the best of my knowledge, entirely unrelated.

Mordom willingly went defunct some time later, as they felt it was what they wanted to do. I will let a Brother of Mordom speak to that.

Keldar is still in the game, as are a bunch of the Mordomians & former Mordomians. Elidor (the green & white) is still going strong. Laconia still exists, Moot still exists, etc.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-01-26

Sadly, the Secret Moot Cabal is no more. They were the ones making plans in the tent with Laconia and had the broccoli on the chest.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-01-26

May the water never boil....

Charneg
Darkonian

Post by Charneg » 2012-01-26

John to be truthful the secret cabal is still there we just don't have land

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-01-27

The movie sucked balls, because the Forgotten Ones were edited out of it. Fact.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-01-27

I remember at least one scene with a Forgotten One in it.

That's about it, though.

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-01-27

I still think the darkon fim wasn't about Darkon. Nor do I think it represented it very well. Most of the people that ask me about the film are usually asking me about the people featured in it. Not the Game itself. When I think of darkon, I think of the game, my playing experiences.. not any specific players in particular.

I did like the surge in RP and costume.

jayjay
Darkonian

Post by jayjay » 2012-02-01

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:The movie sucked balls, because the Forgotten Ones were edited out of it. Fact.

Thrush
berserk

i saw it on IFC a few days ago. there was at least one shot of you, seb.
jayjay
No Quarter!

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-02-02

Yes, true, but they edited out all of our cool stuff. They came and filmed a party at viking House and spent a lot of time at Tuesday Practice...

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

jayjay
Darkonian

Post by jayjay » 2012-02-02

that's a shame they left out tuesday.
jayjay
No Quarter!

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-02-02

The edited out my tackling of the last dude alive in the battle with the boom crane camera, where the Drow turned their ballistae on laconia (didnt see that coming LOL)

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2012-02-02

Hilarious, cause it was me and tyko, that paid the drow to turn the guns on the laconiains. I will never forget it. Before the start, Banner came to Tyko and I and said "it's good to see tha enemies can join together to fight the greater evil." and as the two of us looked at him and replied "die anicient enemy" he took all his men to the other side and left moot to get slaughtered.

Those were the days.
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Survivor of The Asylum Mal'volus
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 2012-02-06

I'm a fan of the movie here just wanted to drop in my opinion. I'm not sure how well it represents the actual game of Darkon, because I'm from Illinois, but its my favorite documentary of all time.

I think it's cool that they made it a fantasy movie rather than focus on game mechanics. Check out Monster Camp to see a movie that spends a lot of time on game mechanics. Personally I think Darkon is a much better movie.

I think parts like the forementioned immediacy of the experience and Skip Lipman's philosophizing broaden the movie to where it applies to other aspects of life in general.

Another thing on the DVD you've got the commentary with Skip Lipman and Kenyon Wells. You don't often see two opposing sides in a competitive documentary come together for the commentary track, for example, King of Kong.

I actually wish there were a sequel but it seems unlikely from what I understand.

Xunyl
Darkonian

Post by Xunyl » 2012-02-06

No offense intended but if I had seen that documentary before I started playing I probably never would have joined the game. It really didn't do a good job of representing us. Though I'm sure it'd make a boring cinema for the muggles if they just filmed it as regular folk who enjoy a hobby that wasn't main stream. But, I'm glad you liked it enough to share your opinion and that it peaked your interest in the club. (Despite the geographical boundaries.)

Though why would they leave out Tuesday practice but spend a while on the guy that hosed out a cat box barefoot and practiced alone? I only had the pleasure of doing Tuesday Practice once or twice but it's pretty intense and it would have show cased some of the athleticism involved in the hobby.
Chosen Blood soldier.

We are beyond the notions of; good, evil, light or darkness.
There is only order, pure and absolute.

For The Order.
http://www.wix.com/chosenblood/dwc

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-02-06

They recorded me saying some stuff without my knowledge over the phone that I did not want getting out, I told them they couldn't use it... They said that broke the whole story line involving the FO, and therefore they left out all the stuff with us, including our courtship at Tuesday Practice...

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

PadreCaedes
Darkonian

Post by PadreCaedes » 2012-02-07

There's alot about that movie that would have been better if different...
I mean c'mon man...they spent close to five minutes showing Skips son stabbing the air in his living room...I mean really...HUNDREDS OF HOURS OF FOOTAGE and they go with that.

Mistakes. There were many.
Warmaster Caedes, Kinslayer
Knight of Ched Nasad
Patron Father of House LeDouche

High Priest of Ched Nasad
Vicar of the Church of Khorne
Steward of NorthHold
House Ledouche: "We Bow to No Man...Because We Can't"

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-02-07

That was one of the only moments of the movie I enjoyed, honestly...

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Defalcone

Post by Defalcone » 2012-02-07

I have to defend the documentary a little bit. Yes it focused more on the people playing than the game itself, but had it never been for the documentary, I would have never known Darkon existed. I saw the movie in the summer of 2007 on IFC. I was intrigued enough to seek out the group and impressed so much so by what I saw I formed a group using the rules here in Missoula Montana that very fall.

Well here it is 2012 and we are still playing, plus we stand on the verge of becoming one of the first Associated Realms; all because I saw the Darkon documentary on a lazy afternoon.

Ogre Solaris
Darkonian

Post by Ogre Solaris » 2012-02-07

The documentary is what informed me about the game too. The first time I saw it though I thought that there was no way I was going to go out and do that. It took seeing it on IFC a few times, mostly in parts after the first viewing, for me to see past the film's limited scope. I figured that I should give it a shot and I came out to join up in summer of 2009 and have been a regular attendee since.
- Ogre Solaris, cleric of Kindred. CB
Kindred Brewmaster
Worshipper of Helios, God of the Sun
http://www.darkon.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ogre_Solaris

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-02-07

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:That was one of the only moments of the movie I enjoyed, honestly...

Thrush
berserk

Having read reviews online, that part was an audience favorite. It's probably a factor in why it won the audience award at SXSW, too.

jayjay
Darkonian

Post by jayjay » 2012-03-29

http://penny-arcade.com/2012/03/28 look who got mentioned on penny arcade.
jayjay
No Quarter!