Elections are aproaching please read and respond.

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Elections are aproaching please read and respond.

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2013-10-13

First and foremost by the bylaws we are approaching the time when elections are drawing near for 2014.

"3. Elections shall be semi-annually.
a. Elections of the Secretary, Treasurer and Magistrate or the re-election of the same to
a following term will occur as the first order of business at the first club gathering of
November of each year. Board members shall be elected by a simple majority vote
of the member representative body known as the Senate (see Article IV)."

So that being said if you are interested in serving our organization in the coming year as Secretary, Treasurer or Magistrate I am making this forum so that you have the chance to place your request to our organization to vote you in. I will not be running for Magistrate and intend to continue to serve the game in 2014 in other ways as I am able and thankful to do.

Thank you to Count Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC - for posting this series of questions for candidates to answer if they wish in this forum previously. I have taken some liberties to modify them slightly but the idea is yours and yours alone brother.

Some questions for the candidates.

1.) What position are you running for?

2.) What is your definition of the concept of the "Spirit of the game" and how do you believe it affects the game of Darkon as a whole?

3.) When you act in the role of elder for our organization, what is your main priority? How do you handle any given "bad situation"?

4.) Any EB position heavily relies on dealing with people as a whole. How well do you deal with people? Please cite examples.

5.) If there was something, ANYTHING, you could change about Darkon RIGHT NOW, what would it be and why?

6.) What, in your opinion, is the biggest obstacle the position you are running for and how do you intend to tackle that obstacle?

7.) What is the worst Darkon-legal thing you see on the field today, and how would you change it if you could?

8.) What advances in the game (laptops, funds, new event places, etc.) can you bring to the game this coming year?

9.) What experience do you have performing the duties of the above position?

10.) If you could put someone ELSE in the position you are running for, who would it be and why?

11.) What, in your opinion, is the most important thing you have ever done for The Darkon Wargaming Club to date?

12.) In TEN words or less, give a short sum up of why you are the most qualified for the position for which you are applying.

13.) What is your favorite thing about Darkon and why?

14) Have you ever served on the Board before? If Yes in what capacity?

15) How do you feel about having Darkon Chapters and do you support it going forward?

please answer as you see fit below :)
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Baroness Keira
Knight of the Realm

Re: Elections are aproaching please read and respond.

Post by Baroness Keira » 2013-10-15

HI everyone!

I'm running for Magistrate in the upcoming elections. Please feel free to message me here or on Facebook or find me at an event if you have any questions about my candidacy, opinions or plans. Why Magistrate? I have served in the Senate and as Magistrate in the past. I know that great innovations start at the core of a group, and the Senate is Darkon's core. One of the things I want to do for this game as a marketing tool and a gateway to the future is an extensive tune up of our rulebook, which needs editing, clean up, graphics improvement, clarity - all things that are in the Senate's purview. I would like to lead the Senate in working with other club bodies and officials to help Darkon grow and modernize.

I want to see Darkon move forward into a bright new future. We can do that so easily, with just a little work and a little creativity, at a very low cost to the club. I'm in favor of chapters, a rule book overhaul ( because it's just tragic, really), new event sites and new planned events. I want to find ways to do things that encourage people to love Darkon and have fun at events, not find obstacles that prevent us from changing and growing. "We've always done it that way" or "How do we do that?" are not reasons to fail to utilize the resources at our disposal to have a vibrant, thriving game. I want to work to make that the future of Darkon, and I hope that you will allow me to do that as Magistrate.

Responses to the questions posed:
Some questions for the candidates.

1.) What position are you running for?

I am running for Magistrate.

2.) What is your definition of the concept of the "Spirit of the game" and how do you believe it affects the game of Darkon as a whole?

The Spirit of the Game is what makes the game fun, functional, and fair. It's that measuring stick that you use when making decisions about Darkon about things that aren't expressly covered in the rulebook. Is this fair to everyone? Is this the most efficient and easy to understand way to do this? Most importantly, is it fun or will it pump up the fun factor?

3.) When you act in the role of elder for our organization, what is your main priority? How do you handle any given "bad situation"?

My main priority is to make sure that things are running smoothly and that I am helping to provide an experience for the players that makes them feel enthusiastic about Darkon. I want people to be having a good time, I want the vibe to be exciting. New players should be getting the hang of things and feel welcomed, and vets should be enthusiastic having fun. Part of that is also, unfortunately, dealing with tempers and hits and problems, but my job as an Elder or in an official capacity is to minimize the disruption that these things cause to the rest of the club's experience. We're all here to play a game and have a great time doing it.

4.) Any EB position heavily relies on dealing with people as a whole. How well do you deal with people? Please cite examples.

I'm quite good at dealing with people. Aside from my extensive customer service and managerial experience, I have a proven reputation in the game as a solid organizer and good event manager. I've been quite successful managing and planning past Darkon events including feasts and day events. I've worked hard on the primary planning team for numerous campouts and 2 Bellums. I have worked successfully with teams, boards and committees as both member and a leader.

5.) If there was something, ANYTHING, you could change about Darkon RIGHT NOW, what would it be and why?

I have two things, equally important:

Our rulebook is a tragic mess. It is contradictory, hard to navigate and just confusing. I would edit and streamline our rulebook, with updated features and sections that make it easier for everyone to understand. It can be shorter, sleeker and better. It's just a huge pain in the ass to deal with and that's a crying shame. We have the capability and the technology available to us to make it much more user friendly.

I would improve our general event excitement level. I think we have great potential to hold enticing and exciting events much more regularly than we do. Some of that is our own failure to innovate. We need to seek out better sites for both camping and day events, and encourage more creativity when planning both camping and day events.

6.) What, in your opinion, is the biggest obstacle the position you are running for and how do you intend to tackle that obstacle?

I definitely think hidebound thinking will be my greatest obstacle. There is no reason to keep doing things the same way just because we have always done so. We can innovate to keep up with the times.

7.) What is the worst Darkon-legal thing you see on the field today, and how would you change it if you could?

I don't like this question. The worst things I see: laziness, lack of creative thinking, ennui, boredom, hyper-criticism, backbiting, distrust, disgust, roadblocks,pettiness, indifference. I would change these situations by making these states unacceptable through creating buzz, encouraging creative, growth oriented thinking and upping the enthusiasm factor.

8.) What advances in the game (laptops, funds, new event places, etc.) can you bring to the game this coming year?

I can offer my brains and experience to help the game thrive. New sites, new events, marketing and demos – I think all of these things are needed to revitalize our game. All of these things are so well within our reach that it's almost criminal that we're not doing them already. Communications and marketing tools are better than they have ever been in the game's history. We have a great community and the potential to grow it so much bigger. I have extensive low budget marketing experience. I know how to use the tools at my disposal and the resources that we have available to get Darkon on track for years of future growth and success.

9.) What experience do you have performing the duties of the above position?

I have served as magistrate of Darkon for two previous terms. I have crafted, advised and reviewed legislation on numerous occasions. I'm really good at organizing people and getting things done in an orderly fashion. I'm approachable, intelligent, easy to talk to and an excellent writer/editor. I can and have made rules interpretations on my own before and I'm not afraid to admit when I don't know something and look it up.

10.) If you could put someone ELSE in the position you are running for, who would it be and why?

Christopher Murphy because his memes are better than mine.

11.) What, in your opinion, is the most important thing you have ever done for The Darkon Wargaming Club to date?

This question also stinks. I'm not here to brag about what I did for Darkon in the past, I'm here to discuss what I can do for Darkon in the future.

I've done feasts, Bellum, demos, marketing projects, press, writing, EB, NC, reams of volunteer work, set examples in characterization and dress – I've done lots of stuff.

12.) In TEN words or less, give a short sum up of why you are the most qualified for the position for which you are applying.

I have vision, enthusiasm, experience, smarts, skills & I'm a hard worker. ( It's 11 words, but that's impressive brevity for someone who gets paid by the word.)

13.) What is your favorite thing about Darkon and why?

My favorite thing about Darkon is the fun. The imagination that people use to create their personas, the epic field fights, betting on pit fights, playing at plotting and scheming, the storylines at campouts, talking smack to an opponent and then having a beer, the vibrant community. All of these things make the fun, and we should all be trying to improve all of that stuff to make more fun.

14) Have you ever served on the Board before? If Yes in what capacity?

I was magistrate twice in the early 2000's

15) How do you feel about having Darkon Chapters and do you support it going forward?

Yes, I support chapters and will gladly work to see the chapters project move forward.
Baroness Keira al'Lathandre, Baroness Von Garren
Queen Consort of Sarum
Crown Princess of Accolon
Foreign Minister of the Northern Kingdoms
High Priestess of The Raven
Knight of the Realm of Darkon

Magistrate

Re: Elections are aproaching please read and respond.

Post by Magistrate » 2013-11-04

Thank you everyone who attended the short senate meeting today - 9 countries were in attendance and the following people were elected to positions and will be volunteering their time to help the game run for the next year.

Kevin Inox Zygmontas (Inox) voted in as Treasurer
Amy Gardner McNeal voted in as Magistrate
David Schnedar voted in as Secretary

Grats to you three! and thank you for volunteering your time for our organization!
They will begin serving in their posts on January 1st 2014.