New Comer!

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
DrekTheSly

New Comer!

Post by DrekTheSly » 2013-10-16

Hello everybody! I just wanted to ask a few basic questions that you've all probably heard over a million times. I'm 17 years old turning 18 next Monday. LARPing is something I've wanted to get into for awhile, but none of my friends do it so to me it's hard to just pick it up when other people have been playing for years. But I really want to get into the Realm of Darkon, but wanted to know how I could go about doing this? What steps should I take ect.

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Re: New Comer!

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2013-10-16

Where do you live? Do you live in the MD/VA area and can make events?
If so, show up to an event. It's okay to come in t-shirt and jeans for the first two events, but the ebtter your garb the better our game looks; even in the beginning.
Check-in is from 12-1. You'll need an adult to fill out your waiver and bring that with you, signed.
Cost is $5/event.
There are ton of countries that are actively recruiting and are willing to lend weapons/garb and teach you how to fight.(mine being one of them)
You'll need to go to Newbie Speech for a brief rules overview and safety talk for the first 5 events. They start promptly at 1pm.
From there, you fight with different groups until you find a "fit". It helps if you have someone that you know from the real world to hang out with.
See also: http://darkon.org/intro.html
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

Magistrate

Post by Magistrate » 2013-10-16

Greetings Drek, If you are 18 on Monday you will be able to sign the waver yourself when you attend a event after that date. If you let me know when you are thinking of attending the 1st time I will bring loner gear for you and possibly some costuming to borrow depending on your size. You will need shoes or boots that are of a simple design with no logos on them and are not tennis or running shoes unless they are a solid color in brown or black leather with no logos. For pants black or brown cotton works best or if needed sweatpants that are a solid natural color. Contact me using the in game message system and I can help with what you need and answer any further questions you have as needed.

Welcome to Darkon

mardux zulammar

Post by mardux zulammar » 2013-10-16

If King Cailen (the magistrate) doesn't have garb that fits you, I will. At least around, I can almost guarantee you're taller than I am, but you're more than welcome to borrow my spare garb pants and a shirt.

I'll be at checkin from 12-1 either checking weapons or spellbooks (or yelling at other people to check books) and at the newbie speech (that you have to attend for your first 5 events). I'll be the skinny guy with blue and yellow.

And again, welcome!
~Member of the Northern Kingdoms
~Phoenix Company, Head of Artillery and Ranged
~Squire to Baron Tyriel Firebrand
~ (Ex)Head Spell Marshal
~Relics Marshal 2013-2014

DrekTheSly

Post by DrekTheSly » 2013-10-17

Hello once again guys, got to say I'm happy with the feedback. I will definitely be going to event once I'm 18! Thanks again for all of the help and feedback!

Magistrate

Post by Magistrate » 2013-10-17

Our pleasure - our group is very open to new people and there are a lot of players that actually seek to help others regularly and enjoy teaching others. If you experience something other then this please let me know :) and we will fix it!

In service,
Cailen

shroom2021
Darkonian

Post by shroom2021 » 2013-10-18

I will also have additional garb that will fit most people. I should have at least a few additional pairs of pants, tunics, belts/sashes, and possibly shoe covers. I am always happy to lend these things out so long as they make it back to me.

[__Yak__]

Post by [__Yak__] » 2013-10-18

If anyone offering loaner garb would like to be listed here - http://www.foamnomads.org/garb/basic-garb - let me know what contact info you want to give out. (name (game or real/both), country, email, facebook profile, etc.)

Thanks!
- Yak

rhalissa_the_axe

Post by rhalissa_the_axe » 2013-10-19

I am a very new LARPer like Drek and have been a fan of it since I was a young teen I just never got the chance to get involved. I will be attempting to attend the event on November 17th, my question is if anyone would possibly give me a link where I can purchase some LARP gear for women?

Thank you all,
Rhalissa
Courage is found in unlikely places.

Magistrate

Post by Magistrate » 2013-10-19

Greetings Rhalissa and welcome. "larp gear" could be many things from costuming to weapons to armor to jewelry. All of which there are many places and a exhaustive list specific to your interests.

- Weapons I would suggest you come out and see what and how we do things so you get a good idea on what you would be looking to get and a understanding of what is legal before either making some or buying something that possibly cant be used. Many of our players actually make and sell or resell weapons depending on your need at reasonable pricing.

- Costuming start simple you want something at first that is comfortable (this is a full contact sport) then after witnessing what people are doing and what is expected then you can add to your kit in ways that are proven to work. Many people in the organization will be happy to assist you in your search depending on the type of clothing you are interested in getting.

- Armor - you cant wear any till your 6th event so I would again suggest coming out to get a idea of what class or direction you wish to go and there are many sites to be able to access and some of our people do make and sell armor.

- jewelry or props once you know what you want to get many here can direct you in the right direction.

Remember before spending a fortune or spending a huge amount of time make sure it is what you wish to do and then get a understanding of the path you wish to take :) that will make easier for people to help you with getting or making what you eventually want.

I personally have over 15+ (with some research) places to get just about anything from other fighting group pages to individual vendors that cater to our needs. If you can be more specific I can help direct you to a resource you would like.

In service,
Cailen

rhalissa_the_axe

Post by rhalissa_the_axe » 2013-10-19

Thank you so much for your feedback and help! I am almost ecstatic to come out and join in with you all, I think for now some plain gear would be best since I am just a beginner at this. Some sturdy breeches and a good top are probably my first stop. Then i think I will let the older and very much wiser veterans show me the way. Again thank you for your help!
Courage is found in unlikely places.