new comer for the 17th

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
Reg06

new comer for the 17th

Post by Reg06 » 2013-11-11

Hello, I've never LARPed before, but I'd like to try it out (Darkon is one of the reasons I chose to get stationed here). The battle on the 17th is the first one I can make, however, I'd need to reach out to the players of Darkon for some assistance.
- transportation is an issue. I have no car, so if someone would be willing to pick me up somewhere, that'd be grand. I live in Silver Spring (near Bethesda), and can take the metro anywhere you need me to. I'd happily go on foot, but it's a little far for a game I've never played.
- gear. I won't have my own armaments, but I gather I can buy/borrow something at the event. How much cash should I bring to cover that? Is sword n board legal for a first timer?
- I definitely won't have good garb this time, but I can manage plaid cotton pants, plain brown boots, and a black knit shirt. Is better garb available at the events, either for purchase or to borrow?
- what is the registration fee for Darkon? And the event itself is $5?

In terms of lending my arm to your cause in temporary trade for gear and garb, I'm in the Army so I can hold up a shield and I can run all day (and I can yell Waaaaagh real loud). But I've never boffed before, so I've no reason to expect in any good with a sword. And I'm 21, so I can bring beer (it's still gaming, so at some point we drink beer, yeah? )

Thanks for any assistance you might provide, even if it's just info.

Darll

Re: new comer for the 17th

Post by Darll » 2013-11-11

You're first event is free . The clothing should work for your first event. Any country you choose to fight with should have weapons you can borrow. There are others that live closer to you. that could give you a ride. This is the link for new players http://darkon.org/intro.html. Fell free to hang with any county.
Ranger
Cobbler Maker of Kindred
Quarter Master of Kindred
OB, OD

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2013-11-12

Greetings Reg06 please check your personal messages and I will help out and answer any questions you might have.

In service,
Cailen
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

shroom2021
Darkonian

Post by shroom2021 » 2013-11-13

I should be at this event. Feel free to swing by the camp with the guys wearing Green with a stag on the front. I usually bring some extra garb for newcomers and the like. I'll be sure to bring a full kit (pants, shirt, boot covers). Most of my stuff is one size fits most. As per usual, my only request is that the garb return to me at some point. Unfortunately some of my things have walked off this year so until I get the motivation to make/find/purchase some new loaner gear it'll be on a first come first server basis.

Mylene

Post by Mylene » 2013-11-15

Is it possible that I could get some information as well? I have not been able to find where the event is going to be anywhere at all.

Darll

Post by Darll » 2013-11-15

http://darkon.org/events.html
This is the link for the schedules and the locations.
Ranger
Cobbler Maker of Kindred
Quarter Master of Kindred
OB, OD

Kobalos

Post by Kobalos » 2013-11-16

All you really need to bring as a new person is $5, the best garb you can find, and a good attitude.

$5 will let you play. The better your garb and attitude, the more you'll impress the folks who will help you out. If all you have is sweats, combat boots, and a simple shirt, we can can work with that. You will find people here with spare weapons and shields.

Make sure your garb is weather-appropriate. Don't try to build your first weapon before you come and talk to foamsmiths and marshals. You'll be fine.
--Κοβαλος

Baron Kobalos
Fauzi ibn-al-Rashid al-Halabi, KR, OR, CB
Steward of House Dubh
Director, First Royal Darkon Trust
Head NC Armor Marshal 2014

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-11-16

Everyone is friendly and helpful (OOC, anyway).

RTFM(at least "new players", combat)
Be sure to mingle.
Ask questions.
Don't ever decide your team based on your favorite colors.
Don't flesh out a primary player character (rp wise) until you've played a bit and "dipped a toe in the realm".
Be assertive.
Ask more questions.
Log a few events before making rules change suggestions.
Bland newbie gear can easily be spruced up, stick to the basics.
Ask more questions.