I hate the FB page

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
CasofElidor

I hate the FB page

Post by CasofElidor » 2014-03-14

That being said I understand it is a social tool that helps promote the club, create a community that people will use (unlike message boards these days) and can be very useful in herding nerds.

What I hate about it.
1) It is an official forum for the game and it looks like crap. With the FB page being official and saying it is official in the description ("An official group of the Darkon Wargaming Club, Inc.") it is how people will get information about our game and where they will develop their first impression. There are days, like yesterday, where I have to check multiple times just to see if I am actually on the right page because half the crap is not even Darkon related (or very loosely related). I go to the FB page to look for information (event details, photos, announcements from the King, ect) and that information can be damn near impossible to find at times.

2)From time to time I am actually bored enough to actually sift through the troll comments our wonderful internet nerds spend all day posting (no hate, I understand we all need an outlet) but then there will be some tiny comment with official information 80 comments into sewage and memes that hold official weight because after all, it is an official forum. That sucks.

3) FB SUCKS!!! at allowing searching old information. That is compounded by the amount of banter that happens in the comments and the number of post not related to an official question or announcement.

Suggestion:
1) Setup a DUMB (Darkon Un-Moderated Book) and let the nerds have their day. Keep the official group clean and easier to find information.

2) Tell Cas to piss off and stop being a grumpy nerd.

3) Something else that wiser and more motivated nerds can come up with.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Re: I hate the FB page

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2014-03-14

I have heard "I'm too lazy to post on both the message board AND facebook"... and "Facebook is easier" so much in the last year or so... Are we really letting our lazyness as an organization result in our (sadly) most likely method of new blood from outside the established game, be a page full of bored people ranting and memes?

Facebook has it's place as a comunication tool, but, it is by ANY definition NOT a message board. And just because some people cross post between the two, doesnt mean Cas' points aren't extremely valid. Our current facebook page should never be the first or even second thing people see, why on earth would any adult join THAT? It's not professional at all... And for ALL the rediculous talk in the last few years of Darkon needing to grow up, to put our facebook page out there as official, is childish and lazy.

But I don't use it, so feel free to ignore me.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2014-03-14

Official stuff definitely needs to be posted here. Takes 30 seconds to copy paste.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2014-03-14

The only real problem is that only one thing can be pinned at a time. If they would change that it would be good to go as all important stuff could be pinned.

(And there are times that some people randomly post important info in a thread - that's on them, though - they should be making a new post so it's easy to see.)

CasofElidor

Post by CasofElidor » 2014-03-14

Was your defense it sucks because it sucks?

Followed by

The people posting suck and that is the problem.

I am sure if enough people decided to use FB they would change things to make it a better user experience.

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2014-03-14

Social media in some form is here to stay. Rather than "get of my lawn" the trend, why not do what Ginger suggested--what Dag already does--and have a moderated and unmoderated Darkon FB page?
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2014-03-15

While I don't want to have to worry about two darkon threads, that might be the answer. I also agree that the lack of keywording and search is a kick in the groin. All "official" stuff should be placed here, or even have a link to here on the FB page, though.

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2014-03-17

CasofElidor wrote:Was your defense it sucks because it sucks?

Followed by

The people posting suck and that is the problem.

I am sure if enough people decided to use FB they would change things to make it a better user experience.

I did not defend it. I don't care to. I like it, and other people like it. Whether you like it or not is moot.

However, I felt that posting possible problems might help the discussion.

CasofElidor

Post by CasofElidor » 2014-03-18

Inox wrote:Social media in some form is here to stay. Rather than "get of my lawn" the trend, why not do what Ginger suggested--what Dag already does--and have a moderated and unmoderated Darkon FB page?

I agree that social media is here to stay, I am not in any way arguing that. The way we use something though can make it awesome or awful. I feel that our current use of the Official FB page is awful. I like the idea of two pages. (I am not in the unmoderated Dag boards for a reason).

Cas

Edit: Grammar

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2014-03-18

If that is the case, I think the EB should set it up, run it, and be the only people posting in it. Official announcements and event information only.

OR people could just post * here on the boards...like they should anyway, and then no one needs to go to the fb page if they don't want.

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2014-03-18

I think we should have one board for Board of Directors, Noble Council, and Event Elder/Promoter announcements ONLY.

Then, an unmoderated one where people can more or less run amok.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

CasofElidor

Post by CasofElidor » 2014-03-19

Inox wrote:I think we should have one board for Board of Directors, Noble Council, and Event Elder/Promoter announcements ONLY.

Then, an unmoderated one where people can more or less run amok.

This would make me happy. How might I help make this a thing?

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2014-03-19

Only if we can add "Head Event Marshall" to the rulebook. Ive held a non existent position for 3 yrs now =P

Calus
Darkonian

Post by Calus » 2014-03-22

Official announcements should be posted here only. People will check the boards frequently and it will draw enough traffic to make the facebook page secondary. To say you wanna be a part of an organization and in the same breath say you are too lazy to check its official site is pure nonsense. Anyone left out of the loop has no one to blame but themselves.
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2015-01-20

This was sent to me by someone in another game trying to find out about Darkon for while they were visiting the area...

http://imgur.com/ojHNhXX

They stopped trying. Well done, Darkon.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2015-01-21

LOL yep, posted by Kate something or another. The chick that's fought like twice and shows up to troll with Ginger. Btw there is a Darkon unmod page now. I think its up to 10 people in it ;)

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2015-01-21

What is the solution to this?
I just read that thread in it's entirety and I feel like I lost some of the precious few IQ points I have.

Everyone seems to be extremely cynical, sarcastic and trolling constantly.

I don't know if an mod'd vs unmod'd group will change anything, but I, personally, feel that some people need to be booted. There is too much profanity and derogatory BS on there.

Can we set up some like legit rules that would lead to actual punish/consequences in Darkon?
(EX: I was warned about my derogatory posts twice. Now the EB/BoD has suspended me from Darkon for 2 events because I'm a dumb ass who can't stop saying stupid stuff on the boards and I hopefully will learn from it)
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2015-01-21

Sir Sturmbjorne wrote:
What is the solution to this?

I just read that thread in it's entirety and I feel like I lost some of the precious few IQ points I have.

Everyone seems to be extremely cynical, sarcastic and trolling constantly.

I don't know if an mod'd vs unmod'd group will change anything, but I, personally, feel that some people need to be booted. There is too much profanity and derogatory BS on there.

Can we set up some like legit rules that would lead to actual punish/consequences in Darkon?
(EX: I was warned about my derogatory posts twice. Now the EB/BoD has suspended me from Darkon for 2 events because I'm a dumb ass who can't stop saying stupid stuff on the boards and I hopefully will learn from it)

Stop using facebook as your business's online presence. There's a reason websites still exist in the business world and legit companies don;t use social media AS their online presence, only as a way of giving updates.

All these nerds can still talk to each other, they do not need a Darkon branded group to do it. This all boils down to lazyness. They all would like to talk about dicks to each other, but want their dick conversation to include the Darkon header above it. Just remove Darkon from Facebook in an unmodified fashion. Will the game shrink somehow because there is not a Darkon branded facebook group? If so, I hope the game disappears forever, because what this is doing to our public image is pathetic and childish, and I don't want to be remembered as part of it...

*shrug* But I'm just a stick jock who doesn't want to socialize with Darkon, I only like to hit the people in it, kinda says it all.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2015-01-21

Just remove Darkon from Facebook in an unmodified fashion. Will the game shrink somehow because there is not a Darkon branded facebook group? If so, I hope the game disappears forever, because what this is doing to our public image is pathetic and childish, and I don't want to be remembered as part of it...

I agree.
The unmodified BS needs to go. We need to be vigilante about this. This is a huge public image problem and looks bad for getting campsites, permits, new members, vendors etc.

BTW, we do have a real webpage www.darkon.org :lol:
But I get it and I'm right there with you.

This makes us look like a bunch of sniveling 9th graders on Call of Duty calling each other names and trying to be as gross/vulgar are possible to somehow impress our fellow 9th graders...

This * needs to end!
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
President 2015

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2015-01-21

Sir Sturmbjorne wrote:
This is a huge public image problem and looks bad for getting campsites, permits, new members, vendors etc.

BTW, we do have a real webpage http://www.darkon.org :lol:
But I get it and I'm right there with you.

Yeah, I know we do, and, much like these boards, lazy people just go to facebook and ignore it. And then we look like "9th graders".... I think you're being kind there, btw.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Cas

Post by Cas » 2015-01-25

The solution is to moderate the Darkon Official FB page. Start deleting post, kicking offenders, and setting a precedent for behavior. It works for other groups.

While Thrush hates all things Darkon I understand it has its place in our world. It just need to be moderated. I moderate the hell out of the Tuesday practice page and people still use it.
Cas
Viking of The Níðstöng
Proud Member of the Warrior's Guild
Knight in HRM Malkin Rex's Court
Commander of HRM Malkin Rex's Levy

Two rules: 1) Don't touch my coffee! 2) Do you have any coffee?

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2015-01-26

Cas wrote:The solution is to moderate the Darkon Official FB page. Start deleting post, kicking offenders, and setting a precedent for behavior. It works for other groups.

This ^^, everyday, allday. Please and Thank you!
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
President 2015

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2015-01-27

Cas wrote:The solution is to moderate the Darkon Official FB page. Start deleting post, kicking offenders, and setting a precedent for behavior. It works for other groups.

While Thrush hates all things Darkon I understand it has its place in our world. It just need to be moderated. I moderate the hell out of the Tuesday practice page and people still use it.

I'm guessing you meant facebook?

I only hate MOST things about Darkon, I hate just about EVERYTHING about facebook. The weird thing is that EVERYTHING I hate about Darkon is MOST of what I hate about facebook.

Thrush
berserk
hater
Warriors Guild

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2015-01-28

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:

FB means Facebook lol. :lol:
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
President 2015

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2015-01-28

Sir Sturmbjorne wrote:
Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:
Cas wrote:
While Thrush hates all things Darkon

FB means Facebook lol. :lol:

?

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild