Remove the fighter class.

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
Thrush Svartehjertet

Remove the fighter class.

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2015-05-27

It was brought to my attention that Malkin posted on facebook that he wanted more two teams and country battles, less scenarios. Which of course brought all the people who “don’t just like fighting” out of the woodwork to say things like there should just be a two team area off to the side always so everyone gets what they want.

This attitude is why the average player of Darkon now is basically a video game nerd in * garb.

Darkon in it’s prime was a fighting game that had some loose adventures on occasion to spice up the fighting. But one achieved most successes with fighting. That was always the fundamental foundation of Darkon: Fighting with foam swords.

These are the two statements that were quoted to me that made me actually want to say something:

“I actually like a reason to fight beyond they are standing over there.”

“It's the only way for everyone to get what they want. And isn't that what we all want: for everyone to get what they want?”

First, in the early 2000s we had around 200 players at almost every event, often more. Most events were 2 teams and country battles. All we did was fight the other guys because they were over there. It was fantastic! Countries hated each other, and getting to fight each other was fun as hell. Darkon’s participants were so super pumped about playing you couldn’t keep them off the field. There were sometimes 6 campouts a year and some countries had to wait a year or 2 to run their campouts. No one could wait to see how the next Country would come up with a way to divide up the realm and make them fight to the bitter end to win a campout (notice I didn’t say a word about mods where players had to wait their turn). If nothing too organized was happening, you went and stole people’s in game stuff and started trouble, so you could fight people. I don’t remember any cancelled campouts because no one would step up to run any until recently.

Second, people used to join Darkon to play Darkon. Darkon was pretty darn awesome, and people wanted to come play it. Now people join Darkon and within a year or 3 try to get Darkon to be what they want. Playing Senate and Proposals is the most active part of the game this side of bitching about fighting.

Let me sum up for the 3 of you who read this board what my problem is:

Last year at a campout at that crummy new property by Reunion Farm I got yelled at by people for challenging them to fight me. “Thrush, fighting isn’t all there is to do here, ya know?!?” I got scoffed at. I asked them why there was a fighter class, and how I should role play a 100th level fighter better. I got no solid answer. So I countered with an offer of good will because I was so tired of people bitching that I come out to play the baddest ass Viking warrior ever:

I said I would cosign the very first proposal to remove the fighter class from the game.

If you do not like me coming out simply to fight, make Darkon the game you want it to be, take away fighters. I do not think it would be fun to come out and to try to aggressively tie first aid bandages on other people against their will. Nor to try to fix other people’s shields or armor without their permission. Damn… I’m all out of fighter abilities already. Other than practicing to be a better fighter. Which I do. Every Tuesday. Because a 100th+ level fighter should be pretty good at fighting, I think (am I wrong? I don't play D&D so I may not understand what a fighter does). That’s my role play, I can swing a sword better than most of Darkon.

“Fighters are the generic ‘warriors’ of the Realm. Fighters are by far the most popular class in Darkon, and the bulk of many Country armies are comprised of them. They are permitted to wield any weapon, use any size shield, don any armor, and wear any style of costume.”

Take these lies out of the rule book. Also, I noticed the battle type list is very long, and there have not been all of them in a long time. There are more things to do than run mods to spice up the fighting. But really, fighting is the basis for Darkon.

Just some ramblings… to the 3 of you who read here… See ya’ll on the field. Role playing a fighter. Who fights. Hard.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Re: Remove the fighter class.

Post by fingers630 » 2015-05-28

Nothing wrong with RPing a fighter that likes to fight. I enjoy two teams. I enjoy scenarios. I enjoying RPing. I think Darkon has a place for all those people and any event I run will have elements of all 3 for people to do. If someone would rather spar than do an adventure, I have no problem with that. Ill gladly donate an elder for "Two Teams" off to the side of any mod I run.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2015-05-28

Your scenarios on battle days are invariably fighting based. House of Cards is just a 4 team CTF, for example. That's still like the best of times in Darkon. Mods with the overwhelming stench of the MVA and it's lines are the dumbest thing you can do to momentum in this game.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Cas

Post by Cas » 2015-05-29

Can I second this?
Cas
Viking of The Níðstöng
Proud Member of the Warrior's Guild
Knight in HRM Malkin Rex's Court
Commander of HRM Malkin Rex's Levy

Two rules: 1) Don't touch my coffee! 2) Do you have any coffee?

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2015-06-01

No! Or... maybe? I dunno.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2015-06-01

Looks like there was plenty of two teams yesterday though I don't think I saw more than 25 per side. Was it a low turnout? I know when I left the two teams had 5 v 5 LOL. I really think from now on at Pax on 95 degree days we should 2 teams in the damned woods.

Cas

Post by Cas » 2015-06-02

Looked like a decent turn out. Most just wanted to sit in the shade though.
Cas
Viking of The Níðstöng
Proud Member of the Warrior's Guild
Knight in HRM Malkin Rex's Court
Commander of HRM Malkin Rex's Levy

Two rules: 1) Don't touch my coffee! 2) Do you have any coffee?

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2015-06-02

Yeah, next to no one wanted to fight.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2015-06-02

Hell, there was a nice spot by area C to fight that had shade. Oh well. 6/28 there will be fighting....think of a bridge with 2 doorless keeps diagonal from each other. Each gets a flag and a rez point....and no armor/class abilities. You guys should be creaming your shorts now.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2015-06-03

Sounds custom made for me!!!!

Too bad I'll be busy checking out every single camp at Ragnarok and writing down who is banned for next year for leaving garbage or burning fires or people behind... http://www.dagorhir.com/forums/index.ph ... 861.0.html

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

mtaylor

Post by mtaylor » 2015-06-10

Thrush;

The statement “I actually like a reason to fight beyond they are standing over there.” was mine. I think a goal to accomplish by fighting makes the fighting more fun, all the better if the goal persists beyond a single lay on. It does not mean I don't want their to be lots of fighting.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2015-06-11

Pride in the martial accomplishments of your country is, mostly in my opinion, long gone in Darkon. I think Chosen Blood and No Quarter! may be the only 2 countries I see get really excited about the prospect of hanging a foot in another country's ass on the field. There was a time where there was some serious "I want to beat them so hard they tell stories", going on out there, just during 2 teams. Because countries didn't like each other. It's sad that everyone needs a carrot to get them on the field and then a cookie afterward...

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild