Official Message Boards of the Darkon Wargaming Club, Inc.

Garb, Feb 12th

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon

Garb, Feb 12th

Postby Lord Valfryn » 2012-02-14

For the most part, we had a good day. Some distinct grumblings, but hey... "thems the breaks". If you haven't figured out by now, I require players to be IN COSTUME for check in. That way, we aren't taking the money of anyone that A: doesn't have the requirements to play the class they are receiving credit for; B: Isn't paying the club money , just so I have to tell them that they can't play later. Yes, it was cold, I understand that coats in the parking lot are normal and often necessary, but please be prepared to present your costume as it will be worn on the field. I am also keeping people's cold weather gear in the "subdued" limits. By all means, wear some brown or black light coats under your tabards, wear brown or black winter hats. Don't expect me to allow coats over garb on the field, items with logos, or fuzzy anime character hats. You all know better. If you think that someone doesn't know better: inform them.

It is your responsibility as a player/ countryman to ensure that a garb marshal has registered your surcoat. We are not in the business of worrying over your country status. Get in line, bring your surcoats/banners/elder tunics to the marshal. Be obvious. Say to the marshal : "I'm in country x, did you count me?" Do not point out people in the parking lot, on the field etc. This is a matter of responsibility and respect, so please be courteous and physically present all needed items in a timely, coherent fashion.

On Holy/Arcane/Nature symbols. Please bring me something tangible, not a button that's already attached to your jacket, serendipitously. I don't care if it's a stick on a rope, but I prefer items that are worn from a chain/lanyard and or mounted to equipment. I see a lot of symbols that are pinned/sewn to garb and armor that look nice, and are obviously deliberate. If your symbol looks shoddy or a symbol of "convenience" please strive for a better looking, and more deliberate looking attempt.

Note: Classes that require items for check in
Cleric:holy symbol
Druid:nature symbol
Mages:arcane symbol,yes, mages need them now.
Thief: skeleton key
Assassin: 12x12 black cloth (not a black and white do-rag) all black.
Cavalier: Sash of alignment, armor no less than chain, or garb befitting "nobility" when off the field.
Also: Rangers and War Mages do not need nature/arcane symbols to check in... but they do need them for their spells.

I want to thank the guy in green foot covers. He forgot his boots, he covered his sneaks. Good on ya'. This picture (and a few others) were saved by him covering his sneakers. This is the type of small efforts that improve our game.

Also:

The guy on the right that Kai is about to/has hit , with the cross on his chest. Excellent example of new player gear. Home made foot covers (furry material) cover up/flair with fabric and tunic. PJ bottoms. Be more like this guy, vets.

Other new players:
Very few people come out on their own. Try to give your newbies a better heads up. No kidding, the game is more fun in costume. Lots of new guys are hung up at first , don't want to get fully on board. Try to at least sell them on a bunch of sweatsuit layers, and put a tabard on them. Even totally unprepared, most people don't go play tackle football in their street clothes.
Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Re: Garb, Feb 12th

Postby lorewraith » 2012-02-14

This a greater post with good photographic examples. That everyone should read over in only once to remember what they need and for those newbie fighters that could use that example for easy garb.
lorewraith

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-02-14

Can we get this board to format pix to fit PLEASE?!!?!?

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''
Thrush Svartehjertet

Postby fingers630 » 2012-02-14

good work newbies! lol someone tell alfred that his sword cover is the ugliest thing Ive ever seen and doesnt need a resevoir tip!
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Thats probably why he's all like "FFFFFFFUUUUU" in the pic.
Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-02-14

Not the * formatting of these message boards?

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''
Thrush Svartehjertet

Postby Lord Dubh » 2012-02-14

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:Not the * formatting of these message boards?

Thrush
berserk

Stop being lazy bitches and re-size them before uploading them...
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/
Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Postby Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-02-14

Lord Dubh wrote:
Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:Not the * formatting of these message boards?

Thrush
berserk

Stop being lazy * and re-size them before uploading them...

The problem is that they are direct-linking to the images from my FB account, so they cannot be resized. If they were to resize them and upload them elsewhere, that'd work... But that's an additional step. And I really prefer people don't do that, anyway.
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!
Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

You dont like your stuff being modified or do you not like them being linked? I can remove them if it bothers you. I did give pause before using them, but I figured that since you linked the pics to the darkon site, you wouldnt mind them being used elsewhere on the site. (That and they were such excellent depictions of what I was trying to convey).
Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Postby Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-02-14

Lord Valfryn wrote:You dont like your stuff being modified or do you not like them being linked? I can remove them if it bothers you. I did give pause before using them, but I figured that since you linked the pics to the darkon site, you wouldnt mind them being used elsewhere on the site. (That and they were such excellent depictions of what I was trying to convey).

I don't mind. I was stating that, if they were resized and hosted elsewhere, I might care. Resizing things sometimes makes them look ugly.
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!
Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Postby Warboss Gutzmangul » 2012-02-14

I haul around 8 tabbards, 3 cloaks and assorted belts, fabric and gloves for new folks coming into the country. Waaagh! tries to keep our newbies decent.
Warboss Gutzmangul
Darkonian

Postby Fiyero » 2012-02-14

I have my arcane symbols in the mail so hopefully they will be in for next event.

I had no idea I needed one so thank you for letting me know and for doing the hard work of a marshal
Fiyero Weyland
Bard
Annalist & Corporal of BAMC
Fiyero
Darkonian

Postby solitaire » 2012-02-15

BAMC just got in a whole slew of newbs so hopefully we will have other examples of awesome newbie garb in the next few events. I Want My Conscripts Lookin' Pretty!
Corporal of the Bloody Axe Mercenary Company
Wearer of the Most Annoying Garb in the Land
solitaire
Darkonian

Postby Taggart MacBannion » 2012-02-15

Those green footcovers were pretty frankly unsafe for that guy to be wearing. He was sliding and tripping all over the place.
- Taggart MacBannion

Quartermaster of the Bendorian Lifeguard
Taggart MacBannion
Darkonian

Postby Lord Valfryn » 2012-02-15

A shame to hear, seemed pretty crafty to me. Probably should have went with "taped down" covers in lieu of full under coverage.
Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Postby solitaire » 2012-02-16

i Agree that they were unsafe. He is even one of our conscripts. We told him that wasn't an option he had anymore if he was going to continue to fight. I really don't feel like it's hard to make garb that is passing. i work and go to school among other things and taking 30 mins a week to make a cool shirt has never and should never be a huge deal.
Corporal of the Bloody Axe Mercenary Company
Wearer of the Most Annoying Garb in the Land
solitaire
Darkonian

Postby Darll » 2012-02-18

Rangers domt have to have an arcane symbol it doesnt say anythiing a bout it in the rule book
Ranger
Cobbler Maker of Kindred
Quarter Master of Kindred
OB, OD
Darll

Postby Lord Valfryn » 2012-02-18

nope, but they need it to cast their spells, a nature symbol. the material component.
Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Postby fingers630 » 2012-02-19

for some spells yes. a few have other components instead of natures symbol (enchant bow, light, poison prot)

Postby Sir Gwydion » 2012-02-20

fingers630 wrote:for some spells yes. a few have other components instead of natures symbol (enchant bow, light, poison prot)

In fact, there are no ranger spells with nature symbol components.

After 29 levels of Ranger, I have never used a nature symbol, but have researched the rules enough to know that the basil I keep in my pouch is necessary and that I have to pick a new leaf of holly each time I want to cast prot poison. I also keep green, red, and white tape as part of my dagger holster, just in case I need it.
Sir Gwydion, Baron of Gladesedge
Sometime mistaken for Avlis, Ranger of the Woods of Elidor (also of Gladesedge)
Sir Gwydion
Knight of the Realm

Postby Keiori Night » 2012-02-20

I would like to state here and now that I am a seamstress and I am open for making tabbards of assorted colors for countries to put their new people in. They are simple to make and easy to put in an order to me. As a costume Marshal myself I can be found in the check in line, I was the person to check in Surcoats, Banners and elder tunics to last event :) I am more than happy to make tabbards for Darkon. I usually arrive at events between 11 and 1130 to help set up the event. If any country members want to order tabbards please see me. I have made garments for darkonians before, speak to Sir Rza, Sam Wright, or Kane from Chendrolyn or any of the people of Mordom if you need a reference. I strive to customize orders and make something that you will love to wear! I am creative and have great ideas for fun garb that is true to your character and looks really cool!
Also a note to the costumes of the Feb. 12th event, great job to the New guy of BAMC in the green foot covers, EXCELLENT effort!

Merideth Kelly is my ooc name. If you need to find me I am in Mordom, game name Keiori Night.
Keiori Night
Head Costume Marshal
Soldier of New Mordom
Cleric of New Mordom
Senator of New Mordom
Keiori Night

Postby fingers630 » 2012-02-20

Sir Gwydion wrote:
fingers630 wrote:for some spells yes. a few have other components instead of natures symbol (enchant bow, light, poison prot)

In fact, there are no ranger spells with nature symbol components.
After 29 levels of Ranger, I have never used a nature symbol, but have researched the rules enough to know that the basil I keep in my pouch is necessary and that I have to pick a new leaf of holly each time I want to cast prot poison. I also keep green, red, and white tape as part of my dagger holster, just in case I need it.

well half of the ranger spells require nature symbol (neutralize poison, feign death, cure light wounds) and half do not (prot poison, enchant bow, light)

page 149ish for ranger spells :)

Postby Sir Gwydion » 2012-02-21

fingers630 wrote:well half of the ranger spells require nature symbol (neutralize poison, feign death, cure light wounds) and half do not (prot poison, enchant bow, light)

page 149ish for ranger spells :)

I'm sorry, I was referencing the last three rulebooks that I had, and didn't reference the new rulebook where all material components were removed in what I would refer to as the "I don't want anything in the rules that I don't like" proposal of 2011.

Way to go guys...you made Fingers right. Now we'll never hear the end of it.
Sir Gwydion, Baron of Gladesedge
Sometime mistaken for Avlis, Ranger of the Woods of Elidor (also of Gladesedge)
Sir Gwydion
Knight of the Realm

Postby fingers630 » 2012-02-22

every once in a blue moon, the stars align....yeah I had to double check as Id never heard of nature symbols either. of course I still carry a rabbits foot on my ranger..

Postby Inox » 2012-02-22

Sir Gwydion wrote:I'm sorry, I was referencing the last three rulebooks that I had, and didn't reference the new rulebook where all material components were removed in what I would refer to as the "I don't want anything in the rules that I don't like" proposal of 2011.

It's always nice to see how I have so much support in my own country.
Duke Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
½ Drow Devotee of BABALON
Warriors Guild, KR, OSW, CCx5
••• With Emptiness, With Instinct, With Impurity, and Will •••
Glory unto the Scarlet Woman, Babalon the Mother of Abominations, that rideth upon the Beast
Inox
Treasurer

Next

Return to General Forum