Facebook Advertising

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
Sir Caetrel
President

Facebook Advertising

Post by Sir Caetrel » 2012-04-12

Putting this in a separate post because we should be doing it. This is how you generate customers. When I say customers, I mean people actually coming out and playing Darkon at an actual event. It does no good to have FB fans unless they are patronizing what your FB page represents. So you have got to have a complete follow through.

1. Create or organize a Darkon relevant FB page dedicated to showing off recent game activities, advertising upcoming game events, with a focus on helping out noobs and mundanes who may want to become noobs. The object of this page is mainly to receive new people who click an add.

2. Get all of us who currently play to join. This part is easy.

3. Create a FB ad for the page. It can be as simple as "Hit People with Swords In Maryland!" with a clear pic of people fighting. You add a brief paragraph and they can click the add to go to your FB page. The parameters of this add are your to define. If you want to target males between 18 and 30, within 50 miles of Washington DC, who are not already fans of the page, whose likes include LOTR, D&D, WoW, Game of Thrones, whatever. You put in a max bid for the click, which will be like 50 cents to $2 it really changes alot. You set a max daily budget. Your ad then gets spammed to that demographic until enough people click your daily budget away. You'll get 1,000s of impressions for every click, which are free.

4. On the other end, we have a person or group of people designated on the FB page to answer questions and turn these people into first time foam fighters. This only works if you have a good follow up.

Now to look at the ROI for this. If we set a $10 daily limit and do this for a month, we spend $300. We need to get more than $300 in dues out of this to not lose money. You are going to get about 300 people clicking onto the page for that investment. If you get 5% of them to try the game out once that is 15 people coming out to try it. $75 bucks back. If 3 of those people stay and play for 15 events, you got your money all back. And as you know, when people join Darkon, they almost always bring friends.

This requires very little work, all of which is electronic, and would instantly give us feedback on if it was working or not. We'd either get comments on the page and new faces showing up, or not.
Baron Caetrel Von Garren, KR, OSW, OR, OG, CC, CS
Lord Protector of The Northern Kingdoms
King of Sarum
High Priest of Torm The True, First Born of The Dragyn
Brother of The White Mantle
Knight of The Realm

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Re: Facebook Advertising

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-04-12

Before any of this happens, someone put some pics in the darkon.org gallery that are newer than 2008 and remove all the pictures that are of 1-3 people fighting in the distance.

We constantly tell people to go to Darkon.org for info, lets not have blurry, old, desolate photos be their first looks.

After that, your idea sounds like a hot one..

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-04-12

On the above photo note, I'm allowing any of my photos that I've posted on the forums (anything on the links to them, etc) to be used for this purpose - on this website to help give us a better image. But only in that regard. Have at it if anybody has access.

BTW, this includes links I may've posted on the old forums (DUMB), which include both flickr and Facebook postings.
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

Sir Caetrel
President

Post by Sir Caetrel » 2012-04-12

Lord Valfryn wrote:Before any of this happens, someone put some pics in the darkon.org gallery that are newer than 2008 and remove all the pictures that are of 1-3 people fighting in the distance.

We constantly tell people to go to Darkon.org for info, lets not have blurry, old, desolate photos be their first looks.

You are 100% correct. Every bit of our visibility needs to make us seem friendly to the public and needs to be representative of the Club's best qualities. Too much of our online presence is centered around the convenience and use of vets, or simply outdated. We need to make the surface stuff all about potential noobs. It's not hard to maintain a good web presence but it is real easy to lapse, like a garden.
King of Sarum
Knight of The Realm

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-04-12

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:On the above photo note, I'm allowing any of my photos that I've posted on the forums (anything on the links to them, etc) to be used for this purpose - on this website to help give us a better image. But only in that regard. Have at it if anybody has access.

BTW, this includes links I may've posted on the old forums (DUMB), which include both flickr and Facebook postings.

You're hired if you want it.

Anyone other photographers interested in being a contributor to the gallery??
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

BaiterofBAMC
Darkonian

Post by BaiterofBAMC » 2012-04-12

I'd like to put my hand up as being one of the mods for this. My presence in Darkon has mostly been virtual since the last year anyhow.

Sancho

Post by Sancho » 2012-04-12

Have you thought about Meetup.com? It is how I found a local boffer group here in Hawaii. We got a few people that way (about 20% of our group,I believe) I am pretty sure there is an annual cost, but I don't think it is that expensive. It would also take very little work. Just posting about events, links to the other website (and facebook page) and updates of pics and information on a semi regular basis so people know the site is active when they get to it.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-04-13

You are welcome to use any of my pictures if you wish. I should be taking more at the Tourney should the weather be nice.

You have to use these two pics though:

and

Last edited by fingers630 on 2012-04-13, edited 1 time in total.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Sir Caetrel
President

Post by Sir Caetrel » 2012-04-13

omfg laughing so hard....
King of Sarum
Knight of The Realm

Taggart MacBannion
Darkonian

Post by Taggart MacBannion » 2012-04-13

If somebody does decide to make the FB page or whatnot, it would be great of them to emphasize the fact that whilst we are a fighting-havy contact sport, that Darkon is also a roleplaying game. It would be excellent to get some people in with ideas and motivations RP wise.
- Taggart MacBannion

Quartermaster of the Bendorian Lifeguard

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-04-13

Alfred's pic needs to be on the front page of everything.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Taggart MacBannion
Darkonian

Post by Taggart MacBannion » 2012-04-13

Sir Tyriel Firebrand wrote:Alfred's pic needs to be on the front page of everything.

This, but get him while he's standing next to people.
- Taggart MacBannion

Quartermaster of the Bendorian Lifeguard

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-04-13

Links, Y U no work?

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-04-13

sorry i was messing with the albumums yesterday. should work soon!
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-04-13

Lord Valfryn wrote:Before any of this happens, someone put some pics in the darkon.org gallery that are newer than 2008 and remove all the pictures that are of 1-3 people fighting in the distance.

Yeah, there's a * ton of good photos out there now form the last few years that make Darkon look good, let's use them. Ask people if we can use their pix from facebook, I doubt many will turn us down.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-04-13

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:

Yeah, there's a * ton of good photos out there now form the last few years that make Darkon look good, let's use them. Ask people if we can use their pix from facebook, I doubt many will turn us down.

Thrush
berserk

Check the gallery now.

Sir Gwydion
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Gwydion » 2012-04-16

fingers630 wrote:Image

The best part is knowing exactly who Alfred was talking to during this picture and how he was defending the Country of Elidor against some truly silly shenanigans.
Sir Gwydion, Baron of Gladesedge
Sometime mistaken for Avlis, Ranger of the Woods of Elidor (also of Gladesedge)