Spring Tourney 2012 Results!

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
Sir Caetrel
President

Spring Tourney 2012 Results!

Post by Sir Caetrel » 2012-04-22

Thanks everyone for making a great event out of today despite the non-stop rain! For those who were not there to see the results, here's a quick rundown:

2012 Spring Yourney Champion: Kai of No Quarter! (unbelievable 17/21 point score!)
Second Place: Bruhl of Nurgle (6 points)
Third Place: Gutz of Waaagh!/ Cort of Ched Nasad (4 points each)

Individual Event Winners:

Sword: Kai
Florentine: Kai
Sword and Shield: Kai
Great Sword: Kai
Dagger: Bruhl
Polearm: Bruhl
Freestyle: Kai

Best Five Man Team & Winners of the Chairs: Chosen Blood

Arts & Sciences First Place: Sir Dritz of The Northern Kingdoms
Arts & Sciences Second Place: Chaotika of The Northern Kingdoms
Arts & Sciences Third Place: Caedes & Guy of Ched Nasad/ Keori of New Mordom tie

Baron Wraith successfully defended The Noble Council.

Sir Gwydion won Cavalier rights and fighting status by test of arms.

Sir Braxus won Cavalier rights and fighting status by test of arms.

Many thanks are in order:

Marquis Bendore organized the Court and Worlds Fair.
Brittany of No Quarter! planned the A&S and ran it with judging help from the rest of NQ!
Baron Martin and Baron Wraith stepped up to defend in the title bouts.
Sir Dritz, Sir Faleris, Sir Tyriel & Dame Keira for making the Tourney prizes.
Kindred for providing a food and drink Tavern all day ala the Naughty Nymph.

And thanks to EVERYONE who stepped up to fight in the pouring down rain!

HAIL DARKON!
Last edited by Sir Caetrel on 2012-04-22, edited 1 time in total.
Baron Caetrel Von Garren, KR, OSW, OR, OG, CC, CS
Lord Protector of The Northern Kingdoms
King of Sarum
High Priest of Torm The True, First Born of The Dragyn
Brother of The White Mantle
Knight of The Realm

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Re: Spring Tourney 2012 Results!

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-04-22

Caedes & Guy from Ched and Keori (I think that is the spelling) from New Mordom were the third place A&S people.

Sir Caetrel
President

Post by Sir Caetrel » 2012-04-22

Thanks Iltz!
Baron Caetrel Von Garren, KR, OSW, OR, OG, CC, CS
Lord Protector of The Northern Kingdoms
King of Sarum
High Priest of Torm The True, First Born of The Dragyn
Brother of The White Mantle
Knight of The Realm

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-04-22

Good times despite a horrible weather day. Thank you to the nobles who stepped up to fight/defend, and congrats to all the winners. Everyone fought well in the ring today.

Thank you to all those that helped organize and set up that battle, and that made up/gave out the prizes. I hope the Fall Tourney is as nice.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-04-23

Sir Caetrel wrote:
And thanks to EVERYONE who stepped up to fight in the pouring down rain!

How many people went out and fought in the rain at what time? Erikjetter and I were there sparring in the rain with a handful of people from Ched, and Gutz from Waagh from 1pm till 2pm. Tyriel tried to get the rez battle going at 1:15 and no one showed up.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-04-23

Little to no 2team action. Tourney was about it, but the commoners events ran until 4 or so.

Sir Gwydion
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Gwydion » 2012-04-23

I'd be curious to find out how many people came to the event. My best friends came out to support me and you should have seen the looks on their faces when they saw what a Noble tournament was like. In fact, they enjoyed the whole event.

This event was as close to the Ren Faire as we get at Darkon, and it was AWESOME. I think that I will have to agree with what Fingers posted to the Elidor boards: if you showed up just to fight, this event was not for you. But if you wanted a Ren Faire feel with weapons on board, this is where you want to be.

Suggested improvements for next event: Provide Kindred with a budget for buying food so they can have more. Or, ask a genuine food vendor to the event.

As the event gets more popular with craftsmen, it will make the event more popular with Darkonians, and even with mundanes. Great opportunity for advertizing to the world who we are. In order to include fighting with all of this, I think that we need to encourage increased attendance. Rain certainly was against us this time, but maybe we'll be luckier in the fall.
Sir Gwydion, Baron of Gladesedge
Sometime mistaken for Avlis, Ranger of the Woods of Elidor (also of Gladesedge)

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

My wife said something like that. This day could be made more like a "day festival" of sorts. If you use this venue for fall and spring tourneys, you can easily make that happen. Perhap have performances or other nonfighting entertainment available. We could even encourage this to be a "family" event. That would allow us to drag out our friwnds who dont want to dress funny and see what they are missing.

Does the park still allow "cup beers" during day use? This could also aid in attendance.
If we offer entertainment, we can set a "non fighting" ticket fee to offset cost of operation.

Ogre Solaris
Darkonian

Post by Ogre Solaris » 2012-04-23

Having something like that once or twice a year definitely has potential. I'll have to get off my lazy butt and get some garb made for sale next time. Actually, that involves sitting on my lazy butt at the sewing machine... so get off my lazy butt to go sit on it some more. I think I can do that :)
- Ogre Solaris, cleric of Kindred. CB
Kindred Brewmaster
Worshipper of Helios, God of the Sun
http://www.darkon.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ogre_Solaris

Darll

Post by Darll » 2012-04-23

I thank all that liked the idea of food being served at this event . Ill glady do it again at fall event.
Ranger
Cobbler Maker of Kindred
Quarter Master of Kindred
OB, OD

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-04-23

Yeah I think the weather played a major role in the lack of fighting yesterday. My weapons didnt even get removed from the car. Hell I only came down to support the Noble fighters and take some pictures.

that is definitely a sweet site due to the bathrooms, pavillion, barn and great fields to fight in. hopefully next event down there will have better weather.

i think garb makers and weapons / armor makers could make a ton of cash there as well.

Sir Gwydion
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Gwydion » 2012-04-23

This would also make a great venue for establishing a coin economy in Darkon. Hmmm, I think I need to write this idea up and submit it to NQ for the next A&S tournament (assuming they continue to run it, given their great success in the Spring).
Sir Gwydion, Baron of Gladesedge
Sometime mistaken for Avlis, Ranger of the Woods of Elidor (also of Gladesedge)

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

How could darkon coin aid in RL sales? Beyond people giving discounts for darkon coin? Frankly i wouldnt expect that from anyone, as RL time and RL money goes into crafting. Unless we did carnival games(money wheel, ring toss, etc) and betting, using coins as tokens/tickets and then having a prize booth or something? I still would want the coints to be purchased. This could be a hella fund raiser, actually.

This doesnt fit your idea too well though, im guessing.

Ogre Solaris
Darkonian

Post by Ogre Solaris » 2012-04-23

I did sell something for coin, but only because I was just trying to get rid of it in the first place. That normally wouldn't happen.
- Ogre Solaris, cleric of Kindred. CB
Kindred Brewmaster
Worshipper of Helios, God of the Sun
http://www.darkon.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ogre_Solaris

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Well we could have booths with in game prizes, that are paid for with in game coins, in addition to the RL goods for RL cash.

also Food and Beverages for coin is a great money gatherer. have the club donate x amount of food to the chef, and comp the chef's dues for the day. then sell the food for actual gold and silver coin, cash only, no withdrawls from country coffers allowed that day. this brings coin out from the shoe boxes in peoples basements.

having run taverns at campouts, and robbed them, I can attest for TONS of coins changing hands. nothing beats buying RL food and beer for fake ass coins.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-04-23

Lord Valfryn wrote:My wife said something like that. This day could be made more like a "day festival" of sorts. If you use this venue for fall and spring tourneys, you can easily make that happen. Perhap have performances or other nonfighting entertainment available. We could even encourage this to be a "family" event. That would allow us to drag out our friwnds who dont want to dress funny and see what they are missing.

Does the park still allow "cup beers" during day use? This could also aid in attendance.
If we offer entertainment, we can set a "non fighting" ticket fee to offset cost of operation.

I like this post. Maybe start the whole thing at like 10am. Have it run till evening. Advertise at other nerd friendly events, hand out fliers at ren fair/otakon/nerdfest5000 whatever... Use it as a recruitment/family/wahtever day. But if yer gonna recruit people who don't suck, we gotta put hard, team fighting on display too.

Thrush
berserk
Last edited by Thrush Svartehjertet on 2012-04-23, edited 1 time in total.
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Does using coin for beer bypass "sale of foof and alcohol"?

Also: what of us who never withdrew coin in the first place? Kind of lame, saying that by being responsible with game currency and not leaving it in your basement in thefirst place hoses you, no?

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

1. It has in the 16 years I have played. It is/was done at campouts all the time.
2. This would be announced prior to the event, most likely on the boards, which all countries should have at least 1 rep. If you wish to withdrawl coins an event or two prior it will not be an issue.
3. If we set a limit on the coin withdrew day of would that make it more feasible?

I am not a gold horder, I have maybe 20 coins of gold and silver to my name, but obviously others horde it for some reason. I dont know why. I just want to get it back into the game.

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2012-04-23

I hoard coins, cause I buy boats in hard coin.... Ask thrush.

But as of now I only have 80-90 gold. Only 910ish more ta go!
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Survivor of The Asylum Mal'volus
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-04-24

Troof! Love that guy...

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2012-04-24

I'm on board with any event that will get coin into use more often. Particularly things like the tourneys. I will admit to disappointment that there was almost no betting done on the matches.

Straight from the rules

"To prevent Darkon from losing physical coins, player should turn their coins into the Banker of Darkon at the end of each event. The Banker will then place them into the player’s account. Alternatively players may take their coins with them, but they are encouraged to have at least 50% of their wealth with them at all times."

If anyone doesn't know at this point, here's a friendly reminder. I'm the banker of darkon. Please make use of my services.

Valfryn, feel free to come see me anytime. I'd love to see chosen blood as a country actually use coin.
Rake, roustabout, vagabond and general no account sketchy
Some disreputable folks even go so far as to call me a mountebank
Holder of non-noble titles to numerous to mention

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Boo the Fatman

Post by Boo the Fatman » 2012-04-26

This event was awesome. I didn't fight for more than 2 minutes and still had hours of fun. I am renewing my vows to darkon, I love you.