May 20th Battle

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
fingers630
Knight of the Realm

May 20th Battle

Post by fingers630 » 2012-05-07

It looks like the 5/20 Battle is to be an Elder's Choice at Burtonsville. In addition to the typical 2 team battle, I was wondering what else people would like to have that day. Some options:

5 Man Teams
Country Battles
Bridge Battle (no AOE)
Bridge Battle (multiple bridges)
Defending the Keep Battle
Other options?

Suggestions welcome.

In addition, during check in (12-1) I will be selling adventure potions good through 12/31/12. These potions are good during any adventure day (most land searches also) and are various little hug fruity flavors! The purpose of these potions is to bring some of the hoarded coins back out onto the field of Darkon, so dig into your closets and bring some out.

Potions and prices listed below:

5gp Potions
Cure Disease
Cure Light Wounds
Neutralize Poison
Holy Water

10gp Potions
Cure Serious Wounds
Protection from Fire
Stone Skin
Missile Ward

15gp Potions
Cure Mortal Wounds
Gaseous Form
Growth

30gp Potions
(All potions have mysterious effects, usually multiple spell effects or something similar to a Darkon Spell)
Arch Mage Fingers' Mysterious Love Potion
Dragon's Blood
Potion of Insight
Andrick's Bane
Potion of Long Windedness
Potion of Wizardly Might
The Mead Horn's Special Brew

40gp Potions
Ressurection
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

ylinett
Darkonian

Re: May 20th Battle

Post by ylinett » 2012-05-07

Maybe this would be a good time to test Inox's armor proposal?
Thane of the Northern Kingdoms
Warrior and Brehon of Albion
Lord of the Realm and Knight of Tuesday
OG OR OS OD CC CB CS

Sir Caetrel
President

Post by Sir Caetrel » 2012-05-07

My 2cp...

5 Man teams..do them as icebreakers, that was fun as hell at Redland this past winter.

Country Battles..these always suck. Too much time wasted, usually won by the best safeties. An elimination style country battle might be cool. Pair off countries to fight while the rest watch and let the winners advance, as in a tourney. We have rarely ever done this.

And why not House of Cards, or Sir Martin's coliseum battle?
Baron Caetrel Von Garren, KR, OSW, OR, OG, CC, CS
Lord Protector of The Northern Kingdoms
King of Sarum
High Priest of Torm The True, First Born of The Dragyn
Brother of The White Mantle
Knight of The Realm

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-05-07

House of Cards is July 29th. Since no one has offered, i still have to make approximately 200 armbands for it :)

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-05-07

Multibridge was fun, no aoe...
5mans (unless it's first in order) will send people home.

jayjay
Darkonian

Post by jayjay » 2012-05-07

i'm a big fan of old timers v wipersnappers. put old and bitter against youth and vigor.
jayjay
No Quarter!

Ericson
Darkonian

Post by Ericson » 2012-05-07

Bridge battle with no AOE, please!

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-05-07

The High King is also holding his Court. (I think, still waiting on confirmation)
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-05-08

Ericson wrote:Bridge battle with no AOE, please!

Multibridge, no AOE would be AWESOME! Do the Halcon Bridge setup from a few years back:

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Thrush Svartehjertet

Hands down my favorite foam fighting scenario.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Sir Gwydion
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Gwydion » 2012-05-08

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:

Thrush
berserk

Very Exciting.
Sir Gwydion, Baron of Gladesedge
Sometime mistaken for Avlis, Ranger of the Woods of Elidor (also of Gladesedge)

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-05-08

CB+ Exilium team A

Thrush Svartehjertet

That's one hell of a hold the gate team... If this battle had AOE, it would suck balls...

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Yea......
fight
fight
fireball
fun over

Zentor

Post by Zentor » 2012-05-08

Alot of people go to Darkon to play Darkon. If you are taking away the only reason to play a mage, then maybe you should lose your armor and shields and black weapons so the mages are at an even playing field, eh?

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-05-08

^ that is possibly the most nonsensical I have heard on this new forum(I said possibly). Saying that taking away AOE from a mage is like taking armor, great weapons, and shields from fighters is dumb. Fireball is ONE spell. Mages can take two hits from anything, except green(which only they can throw btw). Mages have a dickload of other spells they can use as well, that have no AOE, that are very useful.

One could even say that maybe mages could be more creative, and use a spell in a bridge battle beside fireball??????????........ Just a thought.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-05-08

Sir Gwydion wrote:

Thrush
berserk

Very Exciting.

Can also do a line battle, forcing people to face off in groups and not allowing them to flank. Would go fast.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

Thrush Svartehjertet

Zentor wrote:Alot of people go to Darkon to play Darkon. If you are taking away the only reason to play a mage, then maybe you should lose your armor and shields and black weapons so the mages are at an even playing field, eh?

*, I HATE that I rely on heavy armor and a shield for all my kills.

I would so gladly trade fireball and/or AOE for shields, armor and great weapons. Do you know how * unstoppable the Knights of Tuesday would be? Jesus... listen to the dumb crap you say sometimes. lol

Aoe fireball will ruin the Thermopylae scenario, because one fireball can take out 60% of the 10' gap that the non rezing small team have to hold....

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Thrush Svartehjertet

Lord Dubh wrote:
Sir Gwydion wrote:

Thrush
berserk

Very Exciting.

Can also do a line battle, forcing people to face off in groups and not allowing them to flank. Would go fast.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-05-08

Sir Tyriel Firebrand wrote:^ that is possibly the most nonsensical I have heard on this new forum(I said possibly). Saying that taking away AOE from a mage is like taking armor, great weapons, and shields from fighters is dumb. Fireball is ONE spell. Mages can take two hits from anything, except green(which only they can throw btw). Mages have a * of other spells they can use as well, that have no AOE, that are very useful.

One could even say that maybe mages could be more creative, and use a spell in a bridge battle beside fireball??????????........ Just a thought.

As long as you promise not to call yourself dead and actually stand there for the full five minutes (not you, particularly, but anybody that gets hit). I try to not use fireball, so instead I use ice storm, and then the person just calls themselves dead... Which defeats the purpose of what I was trying to do: cause a blockage on their side of the bridge.

And when I've feebleminded people before, they just call themselves dead before anybody kills them. Instant death from fireball seems to be the way to go. At least they're actually supposed to be dead, or at the very least, close to death via mortal wounding.

So you can instantly die a bunch, or you can sit out for five minutes at a time from our other spells. I mean, which would any of you rather have? I try to mix things up unlike a lot of other mages, but it just ends up being cheesed by someone who would rather fight again 10 seconds later instead of playing by the rules.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-05-08

Would need 4 elders to watch lines, but could definitely run the above battle next event. I believe bard said we had lots of rope and stakes. It could be a "Plateau Battle". If you step over, are pushed over, fall over the line, you fall off the plateau.

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

This is about a game scenario being broken by a single spell effect. Also holding action due to elder intervention and confusion.

Half casting times for AOE spells during these scenarios, make them Direct Effect. Yahtzee.

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2012-05-08

Mages could probably take a hint from Assassins: If you use your Special Powerful Thing™ all the time, and it starts getting in the way of people having fun with the many other aspects of the game, people are going to start looking to curtail it.

Oh, the horrors stacked upon horrors!
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Thrush Svartehjertet

Lord Valfryn wrote:This is about a game scenario being broken by a single spell effect. Also holding action due to elder intervention and confusion.

Half casting times for AOE spells during these scenarios, make them Direct Effect. Yahtzee.

Love it. No AOE, half the words for these scenarios.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Thrush Svartehjertet

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:
Sir Tyriel Firebrand wrote:^ that is possibly the most nonsensical I have heard on this new forum(I said possibly). Saying that taking away AOE from a mage is like taking armor, great weapons, and shields from fighters is dumb. Fireball is ONE spell. Mages can take two hits from anything, except green(which only they can throw btw). Mages have a * of other spells they can use as well, that have no AOE, that are very useful.

As long as you promise not to call yourself dead and actually stand there for the full five minutes (not you, particularly, but anybody that gets hit). I try to not use fireball, so instead I use ice storm, and then the person just calls themselves dead... Which defeats the purpose of what I was trying to do: cause a blockage on their side of the bridge.

And when I've feebleminded people before, they just call themselves dead before anybody kills them. Instant death from fireball seems to be the way to go. At least they're actually supposed to be dead, or at the very least, close to death via mortal wounding.

So you can instantly die a bunch, or you can sit out for five minutes at a time from our other spells. I mean, which would any of you rather have? I try to mix things up unlike a lot of other mages, but it just ends up being cheesed by someone who would rather fight again 10 seconds later instead of playing by the rules.

I ALWAYS stay standing in the middle of the fighting when frozen, I think it's awesome and what makes Darkon, Darkon. But I also only hate on magic when it RUINS the games, not just because it exists. Inox hit it right on the head.

-Inox- wrote:Mages could probably take a hint from Assassins: If you use your Special Powerful Thing™ all the time, and it starts getting in the way of people having fun with the many other aspects of the game, people are going to start looking to curtail it.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild