Financial Troubles of Todays Yutes.

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Re: Financial Troubles of Todays Yutes.

Post by fingers630 » 2012-05-16

When i first started fighting, I made swords from camping foam $10 at sunny's made approximately 4 weapons, pvp pipe for $3 (made 3-4 swords) a roll of duct tape (lasted a year) and a can of dap for $7 that also lasted years.

I made my own shirt for $2 from a roll of broadcloth, and wore $10 fruit of the loom cotton black pants (I wore both a couple events ago, 16 years later).

I drove myself, paid for my own gas, made a shield from a couch cushion and old belts/plywood and never once complained.

shrug. like i said, if darkon is too expensive, do something else.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2012-05-16

How to save money on gear...

Lowes - go to the post office and ask for a change of address packet ( they will give you 3-4 if you ask for that amount depending on the teller) in the packet is a lowes 10% off coupon (it will also work at home depot as they price match and will scan the code at the register)

yard sales
craigs list
salavation army stores

for leather call a local sadler maker and ask if he or she is willing to sell you scraps (they normally have to throw out as time goes by)

for arrows ask if they have any non stock returned or old unsold shafts ... I just got 9 aliminum gamegetters for 20 dollars at a local store other day

ect.... where they is a will there is a way and it never hurts to ask for a lower price
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Ericson
Darkonian

Post by Ericson » 2012-05-16

Saddles are great, that's how I get my leather. Used saddles are worthless, becuase they can only be used on the horse they were custom fitted for. So if horse isn't fit to ride anymore, saddle basically gets thrown away. I picked up 4 used saddles for 80 bucks, which has enough leather for 2 complete sets of armor.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-05-16

flea markets (north point) are great spots to get discounted stuff. also OTHER DARKONIANS. IM sure there are plenty of people around with old garb they have replaced, sitting in a trunk, that they would be willing to part with for a small fee.

there is even a section of the boards dedicated to weapons and garb i believe.

"hi, im a new guy and was wondering if anyone had an old tunic, size Large they had laying around they would get rid of for $5-10. Please message me"

Zentor

Post by Zentor » 2012-05-16

Hey Pat, one of my shields is still 3 layers of Carpet padding. It is around 18 years old or so. heh.

Ulrich

Post by Ulrich » 2012-05-16

Yeah what he said, but there will always be a place in my heart for that dirtball player who looks like hae hasnt showered in a month coming into camp and bumming beers and smokes.....just screams Darkon. You know who you are.

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-05-16

^I do not like this. Not at all. Old spice homie, it makes you not smell like your old and moldy.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Ogre Solaris
Darkonian

Post by Ogre Solaris » 2012-05-17

We're still talking about this?

Ok, I will say this again. If you can't afford a $3 dollar dues increase, you can't afford to make and maintain safe weapons and I would rather not see you trying to check that stuff in and try to hit me with it. It's $3, not $100. Assuming all other costs are constant (your gear is roughly the same price it was 6 months ago, right?) it all comes down to 3 bucks.

Here's how you save that much or more to pay for your dues.

- Smoke one or two less cigarettes per day. They're what, about 20 cents a piece, right?
- Order water with dinner instead of soda or beer. Better yet, cook it yourself and save even more.
- Go to your local library to check out DVDs for free instead of Netflix, Redbox, or Blockbuster. Even better, read a book instead (libraries check them out free too).
- Skip the starbucks one time every two weeks.
- You don't need Red Bull before every event. Humans have a natural way to restore energy, it's called sleep.
- Use a free grocery store loyalty card, buy generic, and use coupons. The savings on each visit for me are 30% on average.
- Pack a lunch instead of eating out on your lunch break. One day should cover your dues.

While I'm at it, here are some ways to make the extra 3 bucks or even more. **Check the laws in your area before attempting some of these**

- Panhandle. It shouldn't take long to get 3 dollars in change.
- Mow your neighbor's lawn. This worked out great when I was 10, should still work now.
- Talk to Fingers, I hear he has some Warhammer figures he needs painted :)
- Babysitting pays pretty well.
- Ladies, there's always stripping.
- Anyone with musical talent, you can busk for money (busking, look it up).
- Lastly, I will pay someone's dues at campouts to help me carry all my gear from the car to Kindred's campsite. I bring a ton of stuff.
- Ogre Solaris, cleric of Kindred. CB
Kindred Brewmaster
Worshipper of Helios, God of the Sun
http://www.darkon.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ogre_Solaris

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-05-17

Ogre Solaris wrote:
- Ladies, there's always stripping.

I owe you a drink at campout. Thanks for being awesome.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-05-17

Cailen, it warms my cold black heart every time when you eventually cut through the do-goodery, right to the "prop or GTFO".
Well said.

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-05-17

Sir Tyriel Firebrand wrote:^I do not like this. Not at all. Old spice homie, it makes you not smell like your old and moldy.

"It's called speed stick, it's not expensive
It's called speed stick, it's not expensive"

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-05-17

I spent $4 on a can of "Axe" body spray in 2005. It sits in my trunk, and after any battle I wear my ringmail, I spray said armor with the axe, and let it sit in the trunk until I wear it again. I cant wash my ringmail, and Im sure my fat ass sweats when I wear it, but I have never had anyone complain when I tackle them that I smell like Arioch's ass. So Im guessing it was a good investment.

Sancho

Post by Sancho » 2012-05-17

Alright you guys win. I see the whole "maybe think about how what you are saying sounds" thing has fallen on deaf ears. Good luck all.

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-05-17

Sancho wrote:Alright you guys win. I see the whole "maybe think about how what you are saying sounds" thing has fallen on deaf ears. Good luck all.

Maybe they did think about it?

Calus
Darkonian

Post by Calus » 2012-05-17

I have thought about it and the whole argument that the strain of your average day to day costs will be compounded by an extra 3 dollars per event just doesn't do it for me. If you spend 40 bucks in gas and 30 dollars in cheap gear and garb you are still spending 75 dollars in total to go to attend event as opposed to 72 dollars before the price increase.

Just to keep things basic lets just say there are 2 events every month for 12 months. Before the increase you would be spending 48 dollars in dues. After the increase you're looking at 120 dollars in dues for the whole year. If you have absolutely no form of income and can't find a way to find an extra 72 dollars in a year that is a personal problem, not a darkon problem.

This is to me is a small adjustment taking into account the benefits we get as a result. People have already explained numerous ways to make up for the difference.
Sic Semper Tyrannis

jayjay
Darkonian

Post by jayjay » 2012-05-17

Ogre Solaris wrote:- Order water with dinner instead of soda or beer.

you had me right up to the no beer part.
jayjay
No Quarter!

Pope Faleris I

Post by Pope Faleris I » 2012-05-17

To keep the dues at 2 bucks, due to the " economic strain" mindset, will simply take a piss on the minimum garb requirements rule. I don't see how you can have both. i.e. dues stay at 2 bucks because person x can't pay 5. Costume marshall sends them packing 30 seconds later because they need proper boots, replace their cargo shorts, and get a shirt with less slip knot on it, and that * costs more than $3. There are certain startup and maintenance fees. I don't care if its fisbee golf (NERD) or bowling (fogey) or softball (ma'am). You need equipment, and dues. and if you can join a league of any goddamn thing, for five bucks, than you are smarter than me. However, my hatred of bitching is always free of charge, and in ample supply.
Darkon on the whole has always wanted to have its cake and eat it too.

-F (u) ;-P

shroom2021
Darkonian

Post by shroom2021 » 2012-05-17

I usually bring a bag of stuff that can garb a bunch of newbies, this includes but is not limited to:

Pants (1 pair, first come first serve and they do get washed between events)
Tunics (Hand sewn from various fabrics, I like the stuff I purchased better, but then too get washed)
Boot covers (I have 1 pair of old boots with the soles cut out, soon to be 2. The rest are made from *gasp* scraps of fabric and some string)

If you are ever in need and I am at the event come to Elidor and look for Caeldoarn, I almost always have the big bag o' * stuff with me.

I have some reservations with the dues increases, but not because I don't think people can afford them, mostly because I think it turns Darkon into an and/or situation for a percentage of players. Lets face it, sure I can forgoe taking my girl to the movies to go play Darkon, but am I going to do this? Hell no. Instead I will go to Tuesday Night Pratice because for now it's free.
(Shameless plug aside)

While I do have some reservations about the due increase, it is mostly because I am a cheap person who doesn't care to shell out an extra three dollars. I am sure most people can afford it. Do they want to? If they are a casual gamer then probably not. If they are like me and only really out here to make some good memories and swing a stick (IE. don't really care about the whole land map thing) they won't want to pay more money to do something they can do for less on another day.

Kesrya

Post by Kesrya » 2012-05-17

Caeldoarn hit the nail on the head for me. Can I afford this increase - sure. Is the value of what I get out of the game worth the increase for me - no. And that's not because I don't love Darkon. It's because I had a baby a little over a year ago and there have not actually fought on the field for that year plus 10 months prior to that. So when I show up for Darkon now, it's either to talk to my friends or to do something that resembles more work (helping my countrymembers get geered up, assisting someone doing some sort of administrative duty for the game or my country specifically) than it resembles fun. Previously, I didn't mind dropping $4 an event (my husband plays too) to do said work while holding a baby back on the sidelines. But now it would be $10 an event to do that. So it's just not worth it - and my husband enjoys fighting a lot more than I do, and doesn't have a demolished ankle that rebels after an hour on the field - so it's more prudent for our family to have him go for $5 than both of us for $10. It's like Fingers has said -- it's all about priorities; and while I don't think a change from $2 to $5 will make or break the budget I'm saving up to buy a new house - it's enough of a difference, and my priorities are such, that as a casual gamer, I'd now rather find something else to do with my Sundays.

I do think Darkon needs / deserves the money to make certain improvements -- and while they are all ass far away from my house (god I wish we could get a site in Southern Bmore County / AA County again) -- I do really like the new sites of Oregon Ridge and Patuxent Whatevertherestofthenameis Park.

I would have liked to see the price of campouts go up instead of just day events - since now we pay the same for a few hours of activity that we pay for two nights / three days of activity. I think that is what shifted my priorities - I don't think the value of day events is equal to the value of campouts; so seeing these two things be the exact same price, in my head I thought - why don't I skip the day events for awhile and see if I can find a babysitter for a campout weekend to enjoy - because that's more valuable to me, and hell it's the same price. Hell, even if the campout price was raised - because I find it to be a greater value, I would have willing paid that (I was the one in Senate who argued for keeping the $7 campout fee rather than allowing that to sunset).

Anyways - that's all. I don't think this is a big enough price that it will actually keep the youngins out - they have parents to pay their bills, and they don't have families ad children of their own to support. $5 a weekend for someone who still lives with their parents is no big deal. It will just cut out those of us who are casual gamers - and I don't think you'll even miss most of them anyways.
Lady Kesrya Ravine, Mage of Elidor
Torynn, Ranger of Elidor
Fouchon, Party Girl of Redemption

Elidorian Minister of Information
Chair of the Unofficial Elidorian Welcoming Committee
Unofficial Minister of Bitch
Goddess of Cheesy Bacon Potatoes

Gore Bludklaw
Darkonian

Post by Gore Bludklaw » 2012-05-17

I am fine with the increase. Only as long as Darkon sees a return for the money.

1.) New and better sites. Which is happening.

2.) Membership cards. !!!! oh NO! if not, take it out of the rulebook!

3.) Armbands! oh no! Instead I have been providing armbands for people so they can wear their armor (as an Armor Marshal).

4.) More $$$ for campout costumes.

I could go on and on but I will leave it at that.
Gore Bludklaw
- Warrior of Ched Nasad
-- Warhound of Ched Nasad

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-05-18

LOL dont provide armbands for people. If they are that lazy, I want them taking their armor off (til the rule gets changed =P)

I agree with new and better sites and better costumes for NPC monsters. If these things dont happen, i will gladly voice my opinion on reducing day event costs.

And i would be with raising campout costs to $10 per campout, however as it stands I do not plan to attend many at Reunion, so I think that would be dishonest of me to pawn the costs off on others.

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-05-18

That's how I feel about camp outs. I was more for raising the cost of them due to their extended play time and site fees, but since I don't attend them; I couldn't in good concience try to raise their price.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-05-18

The cool thing about your situation, Kesrya, is that you can still come to day events and do everything you liek to do at Day events and not pay to check in! That's a win win win!

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Sir Gwydion
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Gwydion » 2012-05-18

Except attend senate :(
Sir Gwydion, Baron of Gladesedge
Sometime mistaken for Avlis, Ranger of the Woods of Elidor (also of Gladesedge)

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-05-18

Tell your senator what you want done.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild