House of Cards Battle- Information and Question Topic

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
fingers630
Knight of the Realm

House of Cards Battle- Information and Question Topic

Post by fingers630 » 2012-06-04

As the time grows closer, I have decided to make a post for the 2nd Annual House of Cards Battle, scheduled for July 29th at Patauxant Park. This event will use NORMAL BATTLE RULES.

This event will begin promptly at 2:00pm and run until approximately 4pm, with 4 thirty minute "Quarters"

At 2pm, all persons interested in "playing" will be asked to line up on the field in 2 separate, semi straight lines. Line 1 will be all Darkon Vets with 5 years playing the game and more. Line 2 will be everyone who has been playing for under 5 years. Guesstimates are perfectly fine.

Four Veterans of the Realm will be introduced as the "King" of each of their teams. Each King will choose 1 participating female to be his "Queen" for the day. After that, playing cards will be passed out to the line of Vets, and the line of Non Vets, attempting as "even" teams as possible. If one team is severely imbalanced, I will use my judgement along with the other elders to make some adjustments.

In addition to the Kings and Queens, each suit will have 3 other special players. A Jack, an Ace, and a Joker. Each of these special cards will be given a sheet with their abilities and any specific "goals" they might have.

Once teams have been decided, each suit will go with their deisgnated Elder (we will need 5 for the day) to their designated keep (there will be 4 keeps on the large Patauxant field that day so volunteers please show up around 1130.) Inside the designated keep, each player will be given an Armband with his or her suit on it, and 1 flag will be located in the keep.

Lay on will be called when all elders signal their team is ready. Each team will have its own elder. IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUES DURING THE DAY, BRING THEM UP TO YOUR ELDER. He or she will discuss them with the other elders and myself during each hold.

Once lay on has been called, teams have 30 minutes to take other team's keeps, banners, kill their "Noble Suit" players, and for Jokers to perform their special task. After 30 minutes, a Hold will be called, points tallied and everything reset. Each keep will get their flag back, and will rotate one fort clockwise from where they were last time. During this time players are encouraged to grab a drink or find some shade if it is particularly hot.

This process will repeat 4 times, so each team controls each fort at least once.

Scoring:

Teams acquire points in the following ways:

Having their own flag: 10pts
Each opposing suits flag: 5pts each
Joker achieving goal: 5pts
Each keep held*: 5pts
Each "noble" killed: 1pt each

* In order to hold a keep, your team must have at least 1 non mortally wounded player inside the keep and NO other suits have a non mortalled member inside the keep.

Nobles (King, Queen, Jack, Ace) need to inform the Hades Elder of the suit that kills them each time they report to Hades. Hades will also have a special reduced time. Once you are killed, and report to the designated Hades area, you need only count to 60 and you are alive once more. No fighting is allowed within 50ft of Hades

At the end of the event, the elders will meet and total up the points for each team, and the winners will be declared. Each member of the winning team will win any potion or scroll (with the exception of ressurection) of their choice.

In addition, each Elder will choose 1 member of their team for outstanding roleplaying during the event.
These 4 individuals will win a prize tbd after I submit them to the EB for approval.

Does anyone have any questions at this time?
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Thrush Svartehjertet

Re: House of Cards Battle- Information and Question Topic

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-06-04

Why don't you run all events? Thank you. For real.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-06-04

My monk would be super high level with elder credits!

Also one other note, for some reason the gates for these keeps are poorly constructed, and will come down like a (wait for it....) House of Cards! Therefore, any gate destroyed may not be mended in any fashion and will remain down until the next quarter begins.

smelton

Post by smelton » 2012-06-04

I'm hoping to get a whole bunch of dudes to come up for this. I was excited when I first heard about it, and more so now knowing all the rules.

Hopefully I can pull about 10-15 to come up for the day. I'll be there with a couple at the very least.
Smelton MaCath
Blacksmith of Tyrcath
Druid of the Great Bear

Guy The Bloodied

Post by Guy The Bloodied » 2012-06-05

Question: Do we get extra points for dressing up like the card-soldiers from Alice in Wonderland? I can see it now: Merry singing from the Khornites of Ched Nasad as we set about our work:

"We're painting the roses red (WITH BLOOD!)
We're painting the roses red (WITH BLOOD!)
Not blue, not green, not aquamarine
We're painting the roses red (WITH BLOOD!)"
Guy LeDouche the Bloodied
Chosen Warboss of Ched Nasad
Chaos Monk of Khorne
Matron Mother of House LeDouche
"We kneel to no man...because we can't"

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-06-05

I feel that would ruin a perfectly good day of good pictures with shoddy, campy costuming. Like where your heart is at, though.

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-06-05

If you're going to wear cardboard on either side of you and attach it so it hangs over your shoulders, it should say "THE END IS NIGH" and not be a playing card.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-06-05

LOL I will not tell anyone what they can and cannot wear. Costumes dont mean jack to me, Id fight in shorts and a t shirt if allowed.

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

I will.

If your "special event costume" is a stylized version of a legitimate darkon legal medieval fantasy costume, then so be it.
Personally, I would rather people invest effort in their (or their countrymen's) standard costumes before worrying about nitch costumes for extra points.

If the post about the card costume was made in jest, (which is likely), this still can stand as an official stance from me. I do have the tendency to read things literally (in the figurative sense).

Lord Valfryn Ken'virr
Head Costume Marshall

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-06-05

Debbie Downer, ruining the fun in this thread since 6/5/12...

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

There will be no fun. Only service, strife, and toil.

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-06-05

fingers630 wrote:Debbie Downer, ruining the fun in this thread since 6/5/12...

I'm working on my card right now. And my tower shield that looks like a card.

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Ulrich

Post by Ulrich » 2012-06-06

I always wondered what the rest of the picture on the bottom of Valfryn's posts looked like.

Cheers.

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-06-06

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:
fingers630 wrote:Debbie Downer, ruining the fun in this thread since 6/5/12...

I'm working on my card right now. And my tower shield that looks like a card.

Why is this a problem for you Valfryn? If it is clever, looks good and adds to the atmosphere what is your issue?
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-06-06

Big IF. Also, did you read my post? I clearly stated that if the costume conforms to styling that reflects medieval fantasy styling, I could care less ( encourage in fact). Look at solitair from BAMC. Exemplary themed costume.

Players may by all means make tabards designed to represent suits, and etc... but I don't want people running around with foam cards sammiched over themselves looking tardy for the party.

There is no reason that we should give two flying futons about people wearing nike airs, and gnome designed steamwizard codpieces to darkon, if we are going to encourage players to make silly, shoddily made costumes that are more or lessed designed to make our game appear more immature and hodge podge than it already is.

Everything is in the execution, and far too often someone will drop loads of effort into a project that looks like poop. I have done it, though I have the good sense to toss those failed experiments in the garbage can. I am not trying to stop people from creating legal darkon costumes, I am telling them not to creat ugly, nonlegal costumes. If I have to bench players wearing underarmor logos (barely noticeable) I should also key in on other violations. Or should we just say darkon has an open dress code on house of cards day? If we want to have fun with it, Im cool with that. But I really don't feel comfortable giving some kid gruff about green shoelaces if other vets are going to show up looking silly in non medieval fantasy gear.

Just how I feel about it.

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-06-06

We have an entire day every single year which dedicated to making shoddy props that make us look ridiculous, to be quite honest.

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-06-06

Lord Valfryn wrote:Big IF. Also, did you read my post? I clearly stated that if the costume conforms to styling that reflects medieval fantasy styling, I could care less ( encourage in fact). Look at solitair from BAMC. Exemplary themed costume.

Players may by all means make tabards designed to represent suits, and etc... but I don't want people running around with foam cards sammiched over themselves looking tardy for the party.

There is no reason that we should give two flying futons about people wearing nike airs, and gnome designed steamwizard codpieces to darkon, if we are going to encourage players to make silly, shoddily made costumes that are more or lessed designed to make our game appear more immature and hodge podge than it already is.

Everything is in the execution, and far too often someone will drop loads of effort into a project that looks like poop. I have done it, though I have the good sense to toss those failed experiments in the garbage can. I am not trying to stop people from creating legal darkon costumes, I am telling them not to creat ugly, nonlegal costumes. If I have to bench players wearing underarmor logos (barely noticeable) I should also key in on other violations. Or should we just say darkon has an open dress code on house of cards day? If we want to have fun with it, Im cool with that. But I really don't feel comfortable giving some kid gruff about green shoelaces if other vets are going to show up looking silly in non medieval fantasy gear.

Just how I feel about it.

Thank you. That should help people who may be planning something.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-06-06

No worries, and with all things: anyone is welcome to PM/msg me for advice, tips or plausability questions. I do pretty well with concept visualization, and can go over designs and sketches as well as offer imput on possible online purchases.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-06-06

Just to add, I have no say in who the elders vote for as to "best insert suit here" of the day. I am simply the Shuffler of the Deck, who will deal out the cards, and see where they may fall. I am pleased to announce our four Kings:

High King Slindar will be the King of Hearts
Lord Valfryn will be the King of Spades
Warlord Cort will be the King of Diamonds
Lord Soulo will be the King of Clubs
(In the event HKSM is unable to fight, Prince Cailen will step in as King of Hearts)

As in the past, the Clubs and Spades have a long lasting feud, as do the Diamonds and Hearts. Therefore at no point in time may the two suits ally together (ie hearts can ally with spades or clubs but not diamonds. and if allied with the spades, no clubs may join up until that alliance is broken). Feel free to roleplay it up your hatred of the other suit's king and nobility, make up anti suit chants (keep it mostly clean)

ylinett
Darkonian

Post by ylinett » 2012-06-06

Previous comment deleted. I am being too cryptic. Maybe you should switch Valfryn's suit.
Thane of the Northern Kingdoms
Warrior and Brehon of Albion
Lord of the Realm and Knight of Tuesday
OG OR OS OD CC CB CS

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-06-07

ylinett wrote:Previous comment deleted. I am being too cryptic. Maybe you should switch Valfryn's suit.

If you are referring to what I think you may be referring to, I would definitely concur.

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-06-07

No way. Maybe if this was the time I went "full theatrical", but I assure you, it's not.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-06-07

You can swap with Soulo if he agrees :)
Diamonds and Hearts were already requested