something to think about

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

something to think about

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2012-07-14

Greetings all ... I came across this on FB posted by Blackhawk who was quoting Alric:

"When I check weapons, most either clearly pass or fail. The few times when I had trouble were with weapons that were right on the edge; the foam had started to break down, the pommel was *just* able to slide through t...he template (was I pushing it too hard?), it hurt a little too much on the hit test. Should I pass the weapon or fail it? That's when you have to draw seemingly arbitrary lines in the sand, and those are the weapons that will generate complaints about weapon checker inconsistency because they fail one day and pass the next. That's because they're borderline, and unlike clearly passing or failing weapons, borderline stuff can go either way.

I've never had trouble getting onto the field in my garb because I'm a costume nut. And you don't hear the dude who tries to fight in nothing but a tshirt and soccer shorts complaining that people were nitpicking his garb because he knows he wasn't wearing any. It's the people whose garb is right on the edge that are going to have / cause the problems, just like it's the borderline weapons that make weapon checking difficult.

Obviously, the guy who has no tshirt showing is fine, and the guy who is wearing nothing but a tshirt isn't. The guy who has a tshirt poking out from his good garb is like a weapon whose foam is starting to break down but which is still safe for the moment: it's right on the line, and that means it's going to generate some inconsistency as different people use their best judgment to find the fairest, most correct way to apply the rules of Dagorhir.

Don't want to get hassled at garb gates? Do the same thing you do to avoid hassle at weapon check: make sure you're well above minimum, check your stuff ahead of time with an honest eye for anything that someone might fail in check, and fix any issues before a big event.

Treat garb rules like weapon check, build your stuff with the checkers in mind, and be prepared to fail if you aim for min specs."

Very well said and something to think about reguardless of the organization you call home.

It 100% applies to us as well - think about it.
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Re: something to think about

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-07-14

Great statement. I used to always suggest contacting me (head marshal) before buying/ building borderline armor/garb... less that 5 people have taken me up on that in the years I have been checking the lines. All too often the marshals are not utilized as tools for success at darkon check-in. But just as the above states, clear and objective self observation should solve most of the arbitration issues. If a player knows he is "toeing the line", he should not be upset when called on it. If you were just to toe the OTHER side of the line, you'd be made!

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2012-07-17

Great statement... Except in this Realm in the past year or so, at weapons check you fail weapons because it's unsafe and blown out. You then get attacked by the dude and told that "the blown spot won't be used" when *he* fights with it.
And you hear able it for months later.

Its best to tell the people on the fringe of passing/failing to fix the issue and bring it back.

So with the garb side of the game... Have you all seen an up tic for the good in the look of garb?
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Survivor of The Asylum Mal'volus
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-07-17

Warlordcort wrote:Great statement... Except in this Realm in the past year or so, at weapons check you fail weapons because it's unsafe and blown out. You then get attacked by the dude and told that "the blown spot won't be used" when *he* fights with it.

Dude... for real, what the * is up with this attitude?!!?!? It's just a foam sword, I'm not bashing your mom... Eff them Lanham, don;t take crap, fail * that should fail.

Warlordcort wrote:So with the garb side of the game... Have you all seen an up tic for the good in the look of garb?

Getting a little better. BUT, I'm seeing many well established countries letting brand new newbies field in civies... That's BS. I fielded my first event ever with Valdimar, and they expected black sweats and unmarked shirts at the least. There's new kids on the field 2 EVENTS IN A ROW in cargo shorts and *... That's crap. I DO feel that a few more vets are stepping up to bat on their garb. Which is awesome!

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

I'm goin to bash Wilber here but it's only because he jumped on the issue before I could notice that a few people were wearing tunics and cargo shorts with boots with lashes. One of them was him!
I forced two of my boys to garb up better, and a newbie was put in a surcoat.
If any of you see one of my boys looking shotie, grab me and I will take care of it either then or by the next event.
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...

Thrush Svartehjertet

Yeah he was pissed as hell his pants did'nt make it to the event... I'm willing to give the well dressed vet the occasional pass when something gets left at home. But newbs coming out in goth mart shorts 2 events in a row?!? Ew...

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Step up buddy.... You one of the nobles now.
Then again, I'm unaware if the costume prop with teeth went through.
If you don't want to say something to them, tell me and I will talk to them.
"hey newb, so I saw ya here last week, and you didn't meet the standards that we have... And ya don't meet them now... In two weeks if you don't meet the garb standard------

I've got some for ya... But you have to fight with me all day, deal."

Recruiting at its finest.
But seriously, vets should grab the newbs and garb them or talk to them about better garb.

Agreed
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...

Thrush Svartehjertet

I pointed them out to a noble in their country... I am not a REAL noble, I can't do anything. But I am a good looking vet, so I'll run my mouth.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-07-17

Yeah no doubt. UNLESS you are walking by the event, and come over and start playing, there is 0 excuse for not having a minimum passing set of garb. maybe not period boots, but sweats and a tshirt, and a piece of broadcloth with a head hole cut out and belt.

Most "newbies" come with a darkon vet, a vet who SHOULD know what constitutes a passing costume. Personally Id like to see the free credit revoked for anyone who's newbie shows up looking like ballsack.

The rest of the newbies see the website, and come out. Again, there are pics of what people SHOULD look like, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to follow the dotted line...
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-07-17

I carry 3 extra pairs of black sweats in my car.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Lord Valfryn wrote:I carry 3 extra pairs of black sweats in my car.

Noted.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-07-17

LOL for when he taint sweats through the first pair....

Thrush Svartehjertet

Those are the ones he lends to newbies.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Nah, brand new. Used one pair for cut offs the other week though. People have turned down clean new passable sweats often. They would rather wear taped up civvies to cover logos pockets etc... never ceases to amaze me.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Unreal...
Warriors Guild

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

My personal fave was after telling a player that their garb failed.
He says "what am I supposed to do about it?"
I say, "fix it, or borrow a pair of sweats from me, I have them in my car."
he says "you mean to tell me I have to fix my pants or use yours to play?"
I say "yes"
he says " man, that's some real * up options you are giving me."
I say "you mean where I say that in stead of not being allowed to play, I lend you something of mine so that you can play? Yea, sounds real * up to me."

I saw him later, tapeing up the garb offense, rofl.

Thrush Svartehjertet

I love the sense of entitlement...

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-07-17

If I would have known that you had sweats I might have asked. Don't think your my size though. I asked some people around my build if they had some pants, but no one did. Also, I lent out the garb to him because he came to the event with no garb last event. Since it costs like 8 bucks for me to do laundry, I had no clean garb pants. My tunic was pretty long though.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

You'd be smooth looking in my sized sweats.

shroom2021
Darkonian

Post by shroom2021 » 2012-07-17

Even if it is not present in camp, my big bag o' crap is always at the event with me. So far since I posted about it I have had two well garbed people grab some boot toppers. To reiterate, I bring enough with me to adequately garb at least 2 full costumes, plus extra. This includes boot tops, pants, tunics, shirts, hats, belts, sashes, and a little armor. Its a bit of a jumble, but it is all there and washed when used.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-07-18

Personally Im going to stop wearing pants so I can borrow Vs.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-07-18

Personally, I'm going to stop wearing pants. Gonna wear 4 strategically placed swords only.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Havoc
Squire of the Realm

Post by Havoc » 2012-07-18

Oh god no!

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-07-18

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:Personally, I'm going to stop wearing pants. Gonna wear 4 strategically placed swords only.

Thrush
berserk

Ein schwanzeschwert bitte.

Fiyero
Darkonian

Post by Fiyero » 2012-07-18

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:Personally, I'm going to stop wearing pants. Gonna wear 4 strategically placed swords only.

Thrush
berserk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... mDr0mPuyQc
Fiyero Weyland
Bard
Annalist & Corporal of BAMC