Feast 2012 Update - Menu and Entertainment

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
Kesrya

Feast 2012 Update - Menu and Entertainment

Post by Kesrya » 2012-09-08

Thanks to the many players whom completed my two Feast feedback surveys over the last year, this year's Feast will incorporate that which is most important to you -- ambience!!! You spoke, and I heard you. You don't necessarily need authentically, historically documented foods and entertainment, but when you step into the Darkon feast hall, you want to feel like you've truly stepped back in time. You want to forget that you live in the year 2012 and feel like you have been transported back to medieval Europe.

In that vain, I give you this year's menu and entertainment.

After much research, I've created a menu that would have been found on the tables of traditional four course English and German Feast from the 12th through 16th century. But better than that - I've included something that would not have been found in a traditional medieval feast -- more meat!!!! Sorry to say that our concept of medieval times is not totally congruent with history ... which would have served an abundance of cold, deli like meats in the second course, but only one or two dishes of hearty hot meats in the third course (since they were difficult to digest and very expensive).

But you love meat, and lots of it - so ... I give you a third course of five hearty meats, all traditional to a medieval banquet. I have close to a pound and a half of meat per person!!!! That's a lot of meat :-)

Darkon Feast 2012 Menu

First Course (6pm):

Medley of Fruits, Nuts, Roasted Seeds and Cheeses
European Olives and Stuffed Grape Leaves
Chyches – Roasted Chickpea Dip with Lemon and Basil
Pickled Eggs
Spynoche – Dip of Spinach and Crème

Second Course (6:30pm):
Gourdes and Apple Potage – a Vegetable Soup of Butternut Squash and Apples
Hearty Breads and Honey Butter

Third Course (7:30pm):

Pumpes – Meatballs in a sweet, spicy sauce
Sausedge – Sweet Italian Sausage
Gelyne Endoryed – Roasted Chicken Legs seasoned with Sage and Thyme
Corned Beef Brisket – salt cured roast of beef
Pork Ribs baked in Honey

Perry of Pesoun – Minted Peas and Carrots
Cabochis – Stewed Cabbage and Seasoned Root Vegetables

Fourth Course:

Payn Puff – Cream Puffs
Additional Fruit and Cheese
Apple in Confyte – Apples in spiced wine (21+ - served at bar)

Mead -- honey wine
Wassail – Spiced, sweet warm wine
Burgundy -- red table wine
Keg of Cider
Keg of Yuengling

Sodas, Water and Juices

Also keeping with the desire for ambiance, the first, second and fourth courses will be self serve in the main dancing hall, and the third course will be plated in large, feast like portions and already on the tables when the banquet hall is opened for dinner. No more waiting hungrily for food platters to come out to you. Walk in, sit down, feast!!!

This year we will again have long rectangular tables - so you will not have to split up your country! The tables will be arranged in a traditional U banquet arrangement with the King, if he desires to attend, in the center table to oversee the entirety of the festivities.

Please be aware, serving you traditional large roasts in a traditional style means that, in addition to your individual plates and silverware, someone in your country should bring a carving knife or other serving tools for you to divide your portions. Each platter of meat will be portioned to serve 10 people. You may also wish to bring a mug specifically for your pottage - a pureed soup that you can drink from the mug as you converse in the dancing hall.

Remember - you are permitted to wear your live steel this year!

Entertainment

This year's professional entertainment will be provided by Sine Nomine, a group of 6 players trained in early music from the Renaissance and Baroque periods. The group plays a wide variety of early instruments including, but not limited to: recorders, viols da gamba, crumhorns, cornemuses, cornetti, rauschpfeife, bowed psaltery, various and sundry percussion instruments, bladderfife, guitar, flutes, etc. Group members have diverse training in early music such as post-graduate degrees from Peabody Conservatory and other nationally acclaimed music programs. Members hold faculty positions in area college music departments, and have played individually for area symphonies including Baltimore, Annapolis and Harrisburg Symphony Orchestras.

The group will play in the dance hall from 8:30 - 11pm, so wear your dancing boots!

I am still seeking Darkonians with entertainment skills to perform for the King during our dinner hour. Do you have professional or semi-professional skills in comedy, belly dancing, or other medieval entertainment? Please contact me at kesrya at gmail dot com. Eligible Darkonian performers will receive a complimentary ticket to Feast in exchange for their short performance. Please do not send me a PM or FB message.

P.S. Can a mod please pin this?
Lady Kesrya Ravine, Mage of Elidor
Torynn, Ranger of Elidor
Fouchon, Party Girl of Redemption

Elidorian Minister of Information
Chair of the Unofficial Elidorian Welcoming Committee
Unofficial Minister of Bitch
Goddess of Cheesy Bacon Potatoes

Kesrya

Re: Feast 2012 Update - Menu and Entertainment

Post by Kesrya » 2012-09-25

Bump - it would be super hot awesome if a moderator could pin this please.
Lady Kesrya Ravine, Mage of Elidor
Torynn, Ranger of Elidor
Fouchon, Party Girl of Redemption

Elidorian Minister of Information
Chair of the Unofficial Elidorian Welcoming Committee
Unofficial Minister of Bitch
Goddess of Cheesy Bacon Potatoes

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-09-25

I talked to Mod Gnosis who said he saw no "pin" button on his choices, he can delete it for you though =)
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Lady Ether

Post by Lady Ether » 2012-10-03

I'm bumping this up for Lady Kesrya:)

Don't forget - This Sunday (10/07) is the last day you can purchase tickets at check-in. Bring extra money!!
Countess Ether Angelline of Elidor
Mistress of the Stag

Sir Gwydion
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Gwydion » 2012-10-04

Really starting to look forward to this! I had the joy of listening to some of the tunes presented to Lady Kesrya and I think there is going to be exceptional ambiance. The food selection is amazing and there will be a lot of it!
Sir Gwydion, Baron of Gladesedge
Sometime mistaken for Avlis, Ranger of the Woods of Elidor (also of Gladesedge)

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-10-11

Bump