Crown War November 4th

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Crown War November 4th

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2012-10-08

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen of Darkon, my name is Cailen Sendor and today I have announced my intention to have a Crown War to become King of Darkon. I think it is important to make some things about my declaration clear so that it is placed in the proper framework and to share my personal beliefs and goals for the game we love. This crown war shall be the first time in Darkon’s history where the people of Darkon will have say in whom is the King and who will represent them. This is your chance to pick a side and make your opinion count.

It is my belief that the King should serve the people and not the other way around.

It is my intention and dream for over 20 years to one day have the right to become King. In my path to the current time frame, I have done everything within my ability to help every member of our organization in any way I can. I will first state below my resume with regards to Darkon and then I will publicly state as King what my policies would be regarding my rulership and what you could expect from me as your King if that time comes to be.

Resume:
 Started fighting Darkon in 1985
 Was one of the few in game who chose to play lawful good instead of evil or being neutral
 Member of Alentar (country of elvish archers)
 Member of Valdimar serving directly under Archduke Tarim von Reanor
 Champion of Archduke Tarim von Reanor First High King of Darkon
 Founded Elidor in 1987 as its 1st King
 Appointed Earl Alfred Goldenhue King of Elidor retiring to Archduke of Elidor in 1997
 1st to fight with spear and flail
 Noble fight record of 30+ victories and only two losses in the ring
 During one of my Noble fights had a heart attack ½ way threw the fight and succeeded in defending the title successfully
 Had 4 stainless steel stints put in to open my arteries and after a short healing time I started eldering events until I got the clearance to fight again
 Have had over 10 in game squires, both male and female with most being not in the same country as myself
 Defended the weak or outnumbered when they were unjustly persecuted regardless of alignment or beliefs
 Played both a ranger and a paladin and one of the most experienced archers and cavaliers in the game
 Brought over 100+ people into Darkon
 Trained over 100+ people in Darkon in all forms of weaponry
 Designed the check in boards and every year make more for the incoming new marshals
 Designed and built and store at my home the current Noble ring
 Help new players to both understand the rules / instruct them in fighting / help them with gear
 Always treat others in a fair and unbiased way
 Always help the organization in any way I can
 Personally help run events whenever needed
 Long history of defending in NC ring fights whenever needed
 Always held to my word and do everything in my power to keep the promises I make
 I have attended every single Noble meeting that I was able
 Helped out with the bylaw review committee and attended all meetings
 Live 1+ hour away from just about every event and even though this is the case I attend almost every event
 Started selling weapons to the game at large at very little profit (almost at cost) and guaranteeing them for 6 months so that people needing weapons get weapons that make our game look better and at the same time are safe
 Whenever needed stepped up as a representative for the game with local event owners and authorities and done so in a positive manner
 Always available to any player regardless of in game politics or alignments to help them in any way
 Run / Planed / Eldered / Volunteered / Directed too many events to count threw the last 27 years

Policies:
 Every country is sovereign
 Every person has the right to worship any religion they chose
 No person or country is required to serve the Crown it is their choice what involvement that they wish to have
 No country or person will ever be taxed by the Crown - the Crown has its own money and that money will be used to promote the welfare of the people not the other way around
 No person or country will ever be forced to kneel to the King – If the King has not earned that show of respect then it is not warranted nor will ever be asked to be done by the King or his court
 The King should protect the people he has been granted the right to rule over in all ways possible if his people bleed then so should he
 Even though I am Lawful Good and essentially a Paladin I understand that all trades in the realm are ways for people to support their families and themselves these trades should not be taxed nor regulated
 Any and all instances where the Crown has to make a ruling on disagreements the ruling will be made in a fair and unbiased manner – and justice will be done without regard to alignment / heraldry or religious belief
 At times there are reasons for war and this is a part of life and death and will be dealt with as the cases arise
 Any country that is attacked by a non Darkon threat (like the current zombie plague) will be dealt with ASAP by the Crown without regard for the Crowns own safety
 The King should be active both in attendance and role-playing, constantly developing and accepting ideas from all of Darkon on how for all of us to have more fun killing each other as well as non fighting role-play while our events are occurring

What you can expect:
 Because there will be an active King there will also be a active court for those who wish to involve themselves in it
 The mages will be approached to research the ability to raise a temporary season islands. These islands will be above water for 10 months, they will start as unexplored and on them we will have war. The wars will last the full 10 months then they will sink back into the ocean. The rules for these wars will be later explored and agreed upon (how many troops – can mercs be used – can structures be built). It will be a mad rush that will lead to warring all year for control of these islands and the country that at the end of the season holds the most land will be declared the war victor and will then receive prizes. I hope future Kings will continue the process so that every year we war over temporary land that nobody owns for the right to call their country “ War Victor 2113”. In this manner our game and culture will grow threw war without the negative things that have occurred in the past.
 The King will offer to personally pay for each country to have a structure that the country it is located on will own and can use for their own protection from outside attacks but will be available to the Court to visit (a enlightened period where by buildings will be built that will add to more role-play inter country wise)
 The King will offer to personally pay for each country to have a town to support that castle
 A new monetary unit “ The Castle Mark” it will be introduced as a inscribed brick of gold and will have the value to build both the town and the protecting structure so a monetary unit will be handed to the country at court to represent the gold that is needed to make what is proposed they can either turn it in to the coin marshal as payment for the structure or keep it for role-playing purposes and pay the cost for what is to be built from the country coffers (will have to be passed by senate as a new monetary unit and there for will be in effect real gold )
 I wish during my reign to assign points for every volunteer work that all nobles perform in their role for instance:

Go to a NC meeting 5 points
Speak to a player for violations on behalf on the NC 5 points
Run a Event 10 points
Assist running a event 5 points
Sign in to a event 2 points
Hold an EB position 15 points
Attend new player speech 2 points
Run a new player speech 5 points
Check in weapons at an event 2 point
Hold a non-elected position for the club 10 points

The points are not yet in stone but need to be worked out. The basic idea is each year at the anniversary of the coronation of the King when the King has the ability to appoint new titles to current nobles say the top 3 nobles on the list will receive automatic title raise from me as King. Outside of anything else that occurs. This will help to make sure there is no favoritism involved and people will be judged on what they do for the game in a fair and unbiased way.

 I believe the Crown when it does not change becomes stagnant
In addition the Noble who has the highest point total will have the option to face me in a ring fight for King. While I am King this is what I will offer to who ever does the most work for the game because that is honorable and fair they will have the ability to have the fight or choose not to. This is not a rule and is just something I have been throwing around and needs to be fleshed out before final submittal to the NC for approval for me as King to offer this to the person.

This is just some of the things as King I wish to provide to the realm at large as always I wish to serve the game and the people that I have come to consider friends and family. I hope that what I have stated above helps you to chose the person you will support in the war on November 4th. I humbly ask for the support of the realm in this endeavor and whatever way it resolves itself I am overjoyed to have this opportunity to allow Darkon to chose its next King!

One final note: I respect our current King more then I could ever put into words and have served him honorably. If any other knight chooses in the first fight to place themselves as the new challenger I will fight alongside my King to protect his right to rule against the usurper even if I have to do so outside his keep.

Prince Cailen Sendor

Aka Patrick Michael Kelly
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Thrush Svartehjertet

Re: Crown War November 4th

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-10-08

The basic idea is each year at the anniversary of the coronation of the King when the King has the ability to appoint new titles to current nobles say the top 3 nobles on the list will receive automatic title raise from me as King. Outside of anything else that occurs. This will help to make sure there is no favoritism involved and people will be judged on what they do for the game in a fair and unbiased way.

Um... On Sunday, Sir Tyriel did not get to fight in a noble tourney because he was to fight Avlis, WHO HAD ALREADY FOUGHT, and was injured, because there are not enough active FIGHTING nobles in the realm. Your goal is to just appoint more titles through a point system? Everyone gets a trophy... This is symptomatic of the reasons I will never strive for a title that does come through hard work IN the game, not outside it.

Thrush
berserk
Anti Poofta Noble

PS: to quote the once great Raven Bart Scott: "Can't wait!" ( http://youtu.be/QJshw2Axsqc?t=1m2s )
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Saris Fey-Branche
Darkonian

Post by Saris Fey-Branche » 2012-10-08

With respect(and I honestly do mean that this time),

Isn't "High King" an in-character position? If so, shouldn't this post be in the IC forums without all the references to real life contributions to the game etc?

I'm not at all comfortable with the large amount of mixing of IC and OOC in this post. That is, once again, a huge problem Darkon has that needs to be minimized whenever possible.

I think it's all well and laudable that Patrick the player has cured ebola and convinced the U.S. congress to institute a no-kill policy on all government run animal shelters, but that has nothing to do with Cailen as a PC. [Obviously, some of the original post's content does have IC bearing]

If you want an IRL position that puts you in charge of Darkon ooc, you should run for President. Otherwise, this should all be handled in-character.
Last edited by Saris Fey-Branche on 2012-10-08, edited 1 time in total.
Chosen Blood Officer

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2012-10-08

I find myself in complete agreement with Saris. A Crown War is an entirely in-character affair, and this blending makes me uncomfortable as well.

Prince Cailen should be declaring because his character has reason, and that's where it should stay: in the context of the game we are playing. Pat shouldn't be asking people to side with Cailen because of what Pat's done over the years, and because Pat wants to be king now.

We are still playing a game, right?
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2012-10-08

Don't we have senate/elections the 4th? That's going to take awhile in and of itself, couple that with land events and I see a recipe for disaster given just how long this is going to take. As the land marshal I'm asking you to reschedule this.
Rake, roustabout, vagabond and general no account sketchy
Some disreputable folks even go so far as to call me a mountebank
Holder of non-noble titles to numerous to mention

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Thrush Svartehjertet

Move senate/elections. ;p

Also, Saris hit this whole thing right on the head. This isn't an election, you're declaring IC war. Period.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm

I am sorry but I feel differently on this - In costume on the feild on the sidline and at events I have worked tirelessly to ensure our players get training - and help with anything they need. If you like I will post something the the in character section which I intend to do but will take me time to draft to my liking. What you should realize is this is a game - one in which I have taken time to volunteer my services to and ACTIVLY work in the interest to support it.

I am sorry you feel that it might tip things one way or the other but who I play in character is who I play out of character that person is one in the same and knowing me this would be hard to refute. The King by the new rules can be a popularity contest - people can choose thier King on any ground they wish - and I as a petioner to play that role have the right to state outloud for all to see and comment on why I believe I would do a good job and serve the game and the people within that game.

If you wish to dispute what I have stated above feel free - if you wish to make a list of what the current King has done in character and out of character to earn the right to stay our King feel free but to be clear the realm has the option now to put in place any player they deem will be in thier interests and who will further the game at large going forward.

The fight is only 2 two team battles - if we do not have enough time to do that I will be surprised. The timing of calling the Crown War and the date of the Crown War was requested by our President to fit within the events we have coming up.

As to the statement about appointing titles (these are title increases not new noble appointments) The King by the rules has the right to appoint these in our rules I am just making a way for those appointments to be fair and clear and unbiased... these are title increases for the 3 hardest people on the NC that year who have done volunteer work for the game - they are not bozo prizes nor will they be handed out to everyone they are a way to gaurentee that those players who take time out of thier schedule the most to help the game we play and our members get something back without any politics or douchbaggery --- these players will have earned that title and I entend to make sure they are rewarded for thier hard work.
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm

When I say the King should work for the people and support the people not the other way around ... I really mean that. That is the King I intend to be - that is the King I strive to become - that is the King as the founder of Elidor I had a history of being - and that is the King I am allowing the people of darkon to put forward to represent them.

If you do not like it so be it that is your choice which I will respect but have the right to not agree with.

Our organization has a history of people making other people feel * at times.... You can not deny this ... My post and declariation is positive - my intention is positive - as King I will work tirelessly to have our "game" be positive while we beat the crap out of each other over and over and over.

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm

And finally ... to be once again clear I am declairing WAR

You wish that war to be by your "rules" so that you can manuplate the outcome. I am a Paladin my war is coming to your door and my intentions are clear and justified you can keep your rules to yourself welcome to a period of enlightmenment

I have been told to "bring it"

so... it is now "brought...."

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-10-08

I could stand to see appointments used and abused more often. Gives people a reason to oust the king. The goal would be depose the one king for cronyism, so you could elevate your own cronies!

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Also, as this is an OOC thread, I can say this... I will always prefer an active IC king than an OOC king. Not saying that you would be inactive, Pat.. because I do think you will give it your all IC. I just really think we need to seperate "earning the right to be King" from our PLAYERS and let our CHARACTERS handle this.

For example: I play a Lawful Evil Noble Lord. I cannot allow my character to be undermined by my players preference. Even if you, Pat, paid my rent for 6 months while I was in a coma... My character would ALWAYS follow his lord-King until his Lord is seen as "unfit to rule".

The flipside to this, is if you seize the crown (by any means), you will become my King (until you prove yourself unfit to rule.) All IC, all day.

Do not think your OOC accomplishments are taken lightly, or overlooked, but that is a different merit scale all together, and I cannot allow that to influence my Character's alignment or loyalties. The game, the landmap, the idea of RP is out the window, once we let our "personal" allegiences dictate the actions of our characters. At that point, we are not playing a RPG, we are just an NPO with sticks.

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2012-10-08

Lord Cailen Sendor wrote:I am sorry you feel that it might tip things one way or the other but who I play in character is who I play out of character that person is one in the same and knowing me this would be hard to refute.

I think this is a huge, huge problem. We've been friends a long time, but I have to state for the record that I do not think it's healthy at all to let it be "one in the same" between your character, Cailen, and you, Pat.

Sure, we may well choose to exaggerate characteristics in our in-game personas that we actually possess as players. That's probably inevitable in many cases. However, characters must still be clearly separable from players. This becomes even more critical the more you roleplay and get into that aspect of the game.

That this is unhealthy is underscored by the fact that you say "who I play out of character".
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-10-08

Lord Cailen Sendor wrote:The fight is only 2 two team battles - if we do not have enough time to do that I will be surprised. The timing of calling the Crown War and the date of the Crown War was requested by our President to fit within the events we have coming up.

I'm not sure John considered this overall, as the siege portion could take up the better part of a day. In the past few years, some siege battles have lasted 45 minutes, and that is simply between two countries. If you have a siege battle with ALL of Darkon involved, that could go on far longer. The initial field battle won't be too bad, but that castle siege could take up far too much time.

President

Post by President » 2012-10-08

The EB and NC both have logistic to work out.

I would like to start everything an hour earlier, with the NC arriving early and ready for any ring fights that may be needed. Followed by Senate. Everyone who was a land marshal could help elder those land events and get them all done pretty much at one time and finally the Crown War.

It can be done, but you cats have to be ready to be herded.

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm

Then at senate propose a rule change :) as a Lawful Good Paladin and member of our organization I am playing by the current rules :) and feel free as your Lawful Evil Noble Lord to support who ever you like! :)

I know who I am Inox I understand your point and in my case that point does not bother me in the slightest I have a clear seperation of who I am as a player and who I am as a father -husband - and man.

People have the right here to chose who they support - and the reasons why they give or do not give that support.

Snudge by the current rules there is nothing to my knowledge preventing me from showing up declairing the Crown war that event and forcing the realm to react ... I want to give the current king again every chance to gather support and keep his crown - and the realm at large some time to make an informed decision and chose a side or chose to stay out :)

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-10-08

I have no problem with this being posted in the OOC general forum, however I think you should make an in character challenge to King Slindar on the in character boards, wherein people can reply in character :)
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Caelen, I will have to use devil faces to counter you from here on out! :twisted:

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm

rofl who is this Caelen person

the IC post is now up if any want to take a look at it ... I stand by both war declariations and hope by the grace of God the peoples will is heard and either way I will honorably abide by the results :)

In srevice,
Cailen

Baroness Keira
Knight of the Realm

Post by Baroness Keira » 2012-10-08

I think this is a case of just posting in the wrong forum out of eagerness to get the info out, and a new post has been made in the IC forum correcting the original situation. This is going to be very interesting and fun for the game!
Baroness Keira al'Lathandre, Baroness Von Garren
Queen Consort of Sarum
Crown Princess of Accolon
Foreign Minister of the Northern Kingdoms
High Priestess of The Raven
Knight of the Realm of Darkon

Thrush Svartehjertet

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:
Lord Cailen Sendor wrote:The fight is only 2 two team battles - if we do not have enough time to do that I will be surprised. The timing of calling the Crown War and the date of the Crown War was requested by our President to fit within the events we have coming up.

I'm not sure John considered this overall, as the siege portion could take up the better part of a day. In the past few years, some siege battles have lasted 45 minutes, and that is simply between two countries. If you have a siege battle with ALL of Darkon involved, that could go on far longer. The initial field battle won't be too bad, but that castle siege could take up far too much time.

Couldn't we agree to just * fight on a field? Why siege? Why not test of arms of Cailen's force and Slindar's force? Hell, best of 5 would only take 30 minutes once the forces are assembled. The set up might take a moment... but the fight, not so much. Darkon HATES open field combat wars.... Always sieges and crap... This is a man challenging a man to fight with each other's homies as back up. It could be awesome, but we'll have to bring fake castles and crap into it to ensure maximum butt hurt.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:
Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:

Couldn't we agree to just * fight on a field? Why siege? Why not test of arms of Cailen's force and Slindar's force? *, best of 5 would only take 30 minutes once the forces are assembled. The set up might take a moment... but the fight, not so much. Darkon HATES open field combat wars.... Always sieges and crap... This is a man challenging a man to fight with each other's homies as back up. It could be awesome, but we'll have to bring fake castles and crap into it to ensure maximum butt hurt.

Thrush
berserk

It's the way the rules were written. You must win both to become king. First all knights get their folks together and everybody fights... The last person alive gets to declare who the King should be. If somebody says someone other than Slindar, that person must gather their army and siege the castle... Or surrender if they are, in fact, loyal to him.

So we don't HAVE to siege... And there definitely is an open field battle. It was done to be semi-realistic of an actual overthrowing of a King, and to make it a little harder on the challengers.

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Lord Cailen Sendor wrote:rofl who is this Caelen person

the IC post is now up if any want to take a look at it ... I stand by both war declariations and hope by the grace of God the peoples will is heard and either way I will honorably abide by the results :)

In srevice,
Cailen

I loved the bit about clerics helping you after your heart attack. Great way to bring that IC.
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

Thrush Svartehjertet

Ah, I missed that part, so if we win, we're done. I dig it. Well, then in the name of not crapping on the whole day for everyone... Guess we'll just win.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

jayjay
Darkonian

Post by jayjay » 2012-10-08

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:Ah, I missed that part, so if we win, we're done. I dig it. Well, then in the name of not crapping on the whole day for everyone... Guess we'll just win.

Thrush
berserk

jayjay
No Quarter!

Sir Caetrel
President

Post by Sir Caetrel » 2012-10-08

I don't think it is fair to fault Prince Cailen for including OOC information in his statement of intent, especially in light of this being the first time anything like this has ever happened.

Previous Kings, all of them, first earned the priviledge to fight to become king based largely on OOC committment and contribution to the game. For that matter, at every step up the rank ladder they were judged so. No one who has ever been king of Darkon reached that position without a large amount of OOC work through service to the club. Tarim, Keldar and Slindar all became King based on their work both on and off the field.

What Cailen has done is offered up his record to everyone, not just the Noble Council. This way people have a better understanding of what they will be getting should he succeed in Crown War. So, on the contrary, I think it would be a bit shady for someone in his position to ignore or gloss over his OOC backgournd. I am glad he chose the route he did.

Should this sort of thing exist in an IC vacuum? Your King is in a position to affect world plot changes that can effect the growth and health of the game. He is in a position to proclaim IC laws that can effect how you will be playing the game during his reign. He is in a position to deeply affect international relations. His actions have the potential of touching every small corner of the game.

When someone on the NC petitions to advance in rank, they are judged and the NC looks for every reason why they should not advance. One has to demonstrate themself as worthy as a player and as a club member. Crown War opens this judgment to the entire realm. Why deny Darkon the right to look at someone's accomplishments (or lack thereof) before they choose to support him or not?

Ultimately, 99.9% of us are going to side with either Slindar or Cailen for strictly IC reasons. Why? Because they are both great guys and worthy of the position. We might not always have that luxury in the far flung future.
Baron Caetrel Von Garren, KR, OSW, OR, OG, CC, CS
Lord Protector of The Northern Kingdoms
King of Sarum
High Priest of Torm The True, First Born of The Dragyn
Brother of The White Mantle
Knight of The Realm