Friendly reminder/spells at crown war

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
mardux zulammar

Friendly reminder/spells at crown war

Post by mardux zulammar » 2012-11-02

Anyone who plans to use a spell at the next event should get their spellbook checked by a marshal. This includes headband armor (mage, wm, and Druid), protection spells, pillows, neutralize poison, even feign death. All of it. They need to be written in a book or find a scroll.

I have offered my services to help the spell and weapon marshals, and although I'm not the head marshal (this year), I'll be more than happy to find someone who will talk to you about using your spells without getting your stuff checked. In the last 5-6 events, I've seen maybe two dozen people go to spell marshals, most of which are the same people at different events. That needs to stop. :)
~Member of the Northern Kingdoms
~Phoenix Company, Head of Artillery and Ranged
~Squire to Baron Tyriel Firebrand
~ (Ex)Head Spell Marshal
~Relics Marshal 2013-2014

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Re: Friendly reminder/spells at crown war

Post by fingers630 » 2012-11-02

I will be at the event, with spell marshal check flags. i will have the elder inspect each and every person with a spellbook before the fight. if you do not have a flag, you will not be casting spells.

it is not my job to find you, come find me.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-11-02

Like Fingers, I will not be searching you out at check-in. If I think you are a caster, I might say "SPELL BOOKS CHECKED HERE" loudly as you walk by. If you ignore it, oh well. The think is, like Fingers said, when the time comes, there will be no spell casting for you.
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

I am not hard to find either. I am standing by check in or will be nearby it with bright orange sox on.

btw, which side are we using for check in this time? left side or right side of school?

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2012-11-02

Yes, and remember also:

You MUST SAY the full invocation line before any spell takes effect or BEFORE throwing the spell ball. It is the same for every spell: "I [your name], invoke [spell name]!" If you slur out "Iblahblahinvofirebl!" and it's in the air before you finish, it's not valid. Seriously, don't screw this up and make it extra hard for the Elders.

The rulebook is also clear: "The invocation line of a spell must be shouted and read continuously." No mumbling, and no "I...AwesomeDude...invoke...<waits for a good shot>...Fireball!" Say it, then throw or do whatever.

"...any line or phrase may not be repeated more than five times per spell."
This does not mean that a spellbook will fail because we see "the" more than 5 times, but it does mean that changing only one or two words in a phrase you repeat again and again for the whole spell is crap, and not at all the intent of the rule.

I saw one spellbook that was written thusly: "I have a spellbook, I have a spellbook, I have a spellbook, I have a spellbook, you have a spellbook, you have a spellbook, you have a spellbook, you have a spellbook, they have a spellbook, they have a spellbook, they have a spellbook." etc. etc. Don't do this.

"If an active spell ball hits a player or any part of his equipment, even if it’s only a graze, the spell attack is considered to be successful and its effects are visited upon the player."
This means that, unlike all other weapons in Darkon, spell balls affect you even if it just whistles by and skims your hairdo. The first point of contact of any kind is where it takes effect. Which is related to:

"Spells with a radius of effect take effect from the center of the initial point of impact. Any player who is in the radius effect area of a spell at the spell ball’s point of detonation will suffer the effects of the spell. Spell balls, like any other missile weapon, may not be intentionally blocked or deflected from their course. If a player intentionally deflects a spell ball with his weapon that player will suffer the effects of the spell and become the point of impact for any radius of effect spell."

If you are blocking Fireballs with your spear, you become the center of impact. If an AoE spell hits your weapon unbeknownst to you, or with you otherwise not attempting to block, it takes effect in the radius from impact, which may put you outside the radius if your weapon is large enough.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Ogre Solaris
Darkonian

Post by Ogre Solaris » 2012-11-02

-Inox- wrote:

You MUST SAY the full invocation line before any spell takes effect or BEFORE throwing the spell ball. It is the same for every spell: "I [your name], invoke [spell name]!" If you slur out "Iblahblahinvofirebl!" and it's in the air before you finish, it's not valid. Seriously, don't screw this up and make it extra hard for the Elders.

^^ This

I hear it all the time on the field, people are using the wrong ones still. What has it been, a year since we changed them? How long does it take to write 4 words in your spellbook and read them? I usually hear this and don't see who did it which is unfortunate because I can't actually address it with the individual if I don't know who they are.

PS. I'm a spell marshall also. I'll be at checkin and unless I have to costume marshall and check in surcoats, I'll be checking spells too. I'm playing my goblin superhero, it should be obvious which one is me.
- Ogre Solaris, cleric of Kindred. CB
Kindred Brewmaster
Worshipper of Helios, God of the Sun
http://www.darkon.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ogre_Solaris

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

"I fingers invoke fireball from the sun" still works under this rule as the invocation line has been met. From the sun doesnt matter anymore and you are not required to say it, but some people (myself included sometimes) are creatures of 10+ years of habit. Plus I like to mock Mordomians and their Great UnSun project failures!

I want to smack people who write things like "i have a spellbook" in their spellbook. seriously? you dont have to write epic prose, but take a little pride in your spells!

Id like to formally request Elders be extra vigilant about watching for Spellballs and Seige weapon radius' for at least the first 2 minutes of the battle, when they will most likely be in effect. Nothing is more frustrating as a player to be killed by 4 guys you just fireballed because you rocked that * right at their feet, and they didnt see it. I expect elders to be jumping in and calling people dead left and right.

On a personal note I just want to say I look forward to the first Darkon Crown war. I think it will be a hoot and honestly could give a * less which side wins as long as people have a blast doing it.

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Both ways should be acceptable as the NEW rules were never ratified by last year's EB. I have yet to be told if they were ratified by this year's EB.

But since the rulebook says it, it's a rule... But since it's not a valid rule, I've been allowing people to say either/or. Makes for a good year transition period, anyway.
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

Ogre Solaris
Darkonian

fingers630 wrote:"I fingers invoke fireball from the sun" still works under this rule as the invocation line has been met. From the sun doesnt matter anymore and you are not required to say it, but some people (myself included sometimes) are creatures of 10+ years of habit. Plus I like to mock Mordomians and their Great UnSun project failures!

From the rulebook:

When the caster is ready to invoke a spell, he says, "I, [Name], invoke [Spell Name]!” and the spell effects will take place.

What that says is as soon as you said fireball, you were required to throw it because it has been invoked and the spell is over, regardless of what you said afterwards. So yes, you can say "I Fingers invoke fireball from the sun!". but the "from the sun" part is not part of the spell, therefore could not count towards total word count and could just be said at any time outside of spell casting (like right afterwards).

The problem I have with that is that the invocation lines were standardized to get people yelling the name of the spell last so people who are possible targets know what the hell you're throwing at them. Adding additional words totally negates the point of that change. If that's how you want it enforced though, I'll do it that way, but I won't count it towards word count because it doesn't count. The next time I hear a cleric "turn the living dead" instead of "Invoke Turn Undead" I'm going to have to find out who it was. I always miss that first part where they say their name (which means they're not loud enough to begin with).
Kindred Brewmaster

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Ogre Solaris wrote:The next time I hear a cleric "turn the living dead" instead of "Invoke Turn Undead" I'm going to have to find out who it was. I always miss that first part where they say their name (which means they're not loud enough to begin with).

I wouldn't bother them. If "turn the living dead" is what it used to be, that is what it should still be, as the EB never passed the "invoke" rule. I've talked to the President about this many times, and unless he tells me the EB voted for it this year (if they even were allowed to), then both seem valid (as one appears in the rulebook, but is not actually a rule, and the other was never really gotten rid of as no ACTUAL rule overturned it).

I've also spoken with three members of last year's EB who said they never voted on it, which means it was impossible for it to have passed.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

As soon as I say the word "fireball" my hand is in motion throwing said Fireball at a target. From the sun no longer matters, I could say "suck my hairy nipple" after the word Fireball if I wanted to, I have satisfied the requirements of the invocation line, and am in the process of throwing my spell ball, the effect is in the process of taking place.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

The problem I have with that is that the invocation lines were standardized to get people yelling the name of the spell last so people who are possible targets know what the hell you're throwing at them

Seriously? When someone yelled "I SUMMON ICE FROM THE NORTH" and smacked you with a white spell ball, did you honestly think you were just feebleminded?

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2012-11-02

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:
Ogre Solaris wrote:The next time I hear a cleric "turn the living dead" instead of "Invoke Turn Undead" I'm going to have to find out who it was. I always miss that first part where they say their name (which means they're not loud enough to begin with).

I wouldn't bother them. If "turn the living dead" is what it used to be, that is what it should still be, as the EB never passed the "invoke" rule. I've talked to the President about this many times, and unless he tells me the EB voted for it this year (if they even were allowed to), then both seem valid (as one appears in the rulebook, but is not actually a rule, and the other was never really gotten rid of as no ACTUAL rule overturned it).

I've also spoken with three members of last year's EB who said they never voted on it, which means it was impossible for it to have passed.

TJ is correct here. It bothered me in the beginning of the year; because somehow it just went straight to ruleboook. This definately did NOT go through the EB last year. I was at the Senate that it passed, but there was no EB vote to get that stuff through. (2011 Treasurer)
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

Ogre Solaris
Darkonian

Wow, how did it make it into the rulebook? It's been in the last two. Having no visibility into what the EB passes and what they don't aside from what's actually in there, how is anyone to know?
Kindred Brewmaster

Ogre Solaris
Darkonian

fingers630 wrote:
The problem I have with that is that the invocation lines were standardized to get people yelling the name of the spell last so people who are possible targets know what the hell you're throwing at them

Seriously? When someone yelled "I SUMMON ICE FROM THE NORTH" and smacked you with a white spell ball, did you honestly think you were just feebleminded?

No, I know what you're throwing because I read the rulebook and knew the invocation lines. The proposal to change them cited that as one of the reasons, or at least the discussion about the proposal did. Apparently not everyone is as well informed as you and I about them :)
Kindred Brewmaster

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

LOL silly people that dont read the rules :)

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

This year's EB did pass this before July, even though no post was made about it and I was not informed that the situation changed.

Still, out of a force of habit, I'd let people go for the remainder of the year as it's a lot to change to "I INVOKE" after so many years of playing - but that's just me (and Finger seems to agree that sometimes people will slip and it won't be a big deal).

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Well I do say invoke, but i personally dont care if someone yells "Tickle Chickens with a broomstick" if i see a red spell ball hit me in the chest, after 3 events I knew exactly what to do.