Venting

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
Artex

Venting

Post by Artex » 2012-12-20

I've seen a few things on the field that are bugging the * out of me.

#1 Jeans and Cargo pants on the field. Did I miss something? When did this become okay? Seriously if this is now an acceptable thing I'll drop it. And no I'm not talking about bellum. I'm talking some of our median players who should know better.

#2 If you ring mail is missing rings why is it passing? If I have to build armor to meet the rules should people have to maintain it? I actively (and politely I should add) told a guy he was missing rings off his armor. He shrugged and went back out calling armor. I saw this with at least 1 set of ring and 2 sets of studded.

#3 Beyond jeans the state of garb is appalling. What happened to having a costume marshal at check in? Years ago I had friends turned away at check in for failing garb.

On the upside Plastidip is making the game look better, I need to invest in a plastidip shield.

I've seen some new people coming out with some great attempts at garb. I just don't want them to be discouraged by the dude in black jeans and a tabard.

Artex

Re: Venting

Just a note I'm just venting my frustration. I'm not trying to bad mouth the game or anyone in it.

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2012-12-20

Artex,
(1&3) We do have Costume marshals at every event and it is up to them to speak with people. I see the costume marshals at least attempting to correct the issue by giving guidance to players on how to improve on an evently basis. (2) That is the perogative of the armor marshals, which it seems that many of them give warnings on things that are not necessarily safety issues (such as your mentioned ring mail that is falling apart), these things need to be followed up on for sure. (ALL) These things are a constant battle as we are consistently getting new players that require some time, money and help getting to an appropriate level. As for the Vets or non-new players that are under-dressing, shame on them.
We have some recent rule additions that make it possible for ejections/seating of players with inadequate garb that I have not seen enforced yet, but that is up to the Elders discretion.
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

Artex

And I totally get that. And maybe the answer is really to have more people volunteer. But maybe we need to expand the roles we have. Are there Assistant Garb Marshals? I know they have assistant Armor marshals.

I'm glad we have new rules. I hope that our new EB is intending to push higher standards then what I have seen the past few months I've been back. Or maybe I'm catching the one or two people each event slipping through the cracks.

Mostly I was just blowing off steam. I'm not trying to * on anyone.

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2012-12-20

I know you are Artex. Better to vent here than at the player with crappy garb! ^^

Everything you have mentioned are things that we NEED to work on as a whole.

Darkon needs to be able to be seen as a game with great garb standards; this will bring more people and make us look better to possible cross-gamers and just passers-by in general.
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2012-12-20

Agree 100% its a tough slope to get everyone on board with excelent garb but when it does occur it makes us all look better. Really the costume marshal can only do so much its up to all of us when we see someone who is not up to snuff to speak up and offer that player help if possible so that every one of us has the best chance to have the best garb we can get.
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Artex

It would be one thing if I was CM I just don't want to be that guy who says "Hey Elder that dood is be wearing jeans *mouth breathing*"

Calus
Darkonian

Post by Calus » 2012-12-21

Well I agree with you but I have to say the garb situation has much improved since a few years ago when cowboy hats were an accepted thing.

I think part of the problem is people not speaking up. Some people just don't like confronation, but I think you did the right think by politely bringing it to his attention.

Most people take is as an insult when you question them about..well..anything. If we change this mentality and make everyone realize it's for the betterment of the game we'd have a lot less isssues like this.
Sic Semper Tyrannis

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2012-12-21

I know my answer to this but where do we (Darkon) draw the line.

How many studs/rings missing fails an armor?

If I have a piece of armor with hundred studs, and it's missing 5 in spots. Does it fail?

I at one point in time when trying to go for armor marshal said I would enact a yellow card/red card policy. I feel this is how we fix these issues.
What do you think about that idea?
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Survivor of The Asylum Mal'volus
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...

Kobalos

Post by Kobalos » 2012-12-21

Warlordcort wrote:I know my answer to this but where do we (Darkon) draw the line.

How many studs/rings missing fails an armor?

If I have a piece of armor with hundred studs, and it's missing 5 in spots. Does it fail?

Yeah, we should have some proportion. 95% (1/20th) sounds reasonable--it's a high standard, but still allows some slack. This is a somewhat arbitrary number, and I wouldn't die if someone else suggested 90%.

Another rule to fall on is: "Armor must cover at least 75% of the upper/lower appendage or torso in order to be considered armor; for example, belts and buckles are not considered armor." That might result in some crappy looking armor, but I could see a case where the studs/rings/whatever don't cover 75% of the limb, but the backing material does.

If we used that 95% rule, then yeah, you're 100-stud armor fails if 5 are missing. And it's also a round number thing. If my chainmail is missing 5 rings, it's not a huge deal, since it's still functionally intact, because the other 1000 are fine. There's always the gap rule, too. If you're missing enough rings or studs to constitute a gap in your armor, play it that way.
--Κοβαλος

Baron Kobalos
Fauzi ibn-al-Rashid al-Halabi, KR, OR, CB
Steward of House Dubh
Director, First Royal Darkon Trust
Head NC Armor Marshal 2014

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-12-22

For the longest time I thought armor had to cover 2/3 of the area it is on to count. I didn't see a rule for it when I looked though. I don't think missing rings are a big deal, but if you have a gap you should take the gap.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-12-22

If you see jeans, and I don't.. report it to me.
Same goes for cargos.
Same goes for anything.

Saris Fey-Branche
Darkonian

Post by Saris Fey-Branche » 2012-12-22

I think he's making it all up, anyway. Names or it didn't happen.

Next time ask their name. Then post their name on these boards as a representative example of what not to do.

That's how friendships are made.
Chosen Blood Officer

Gor Strayhorn

Post by Gor Strayhorn » 2012-12-22

Artex, about the armor, as an armor marshal, I am usually found at the weapons check line, checking armor and generally fondling people's armor while they wait for their weapons. I can probably guess the people who are missing studs and rings (I have spoken to them and they have been warned to fix their armor). Because it isn't a safety issue I don't fail it on the spot. I first tell the player to fix their armor, if they don't listen then next is a warning, and finally an armor fail. So far I haven't gotten to the last one on missing pieces but some have had close calls. If you see a problem come find me, I'm hard to miss.
Gor Strayhorn
Great Wolf - Battle Leader of Asaheim
Warden and Warhound of Asaheim
First Ranger of Asaheim

Artex

Post by Artex » 2012-12-23

I could mention names, But I won't. I won't call someone out on here, they know damn well who they are.

Artex

It just pisses me off it costs 6 bucks to buy a pair of sweat pants at walmart and 2 seconds to cut the elastic out. WTF people.

Artex

Lastly I detest being called a liar, PM me for my face book I have pics. I won't call people out in public though.

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-12-23

Artex wrote:Lastly I detest being called a liar, PM me for my face book I have pics. I won't call people out in public though.

I agree, less that 20 dollars solves most minimal garb problems, and I would rather a player sit out 4 events to save 20 bucks to sort out that problem (and likely their life)... but I digress..

On topic:
How about next time, report it to a noble, a marshal, or go to the source. In all the time I've been involved in any variety of interaction, passive aggressive complaints do not help.

Usually the person that is the culprit
A: is oblivious enough that they don't think it's them.
B: doesn't care and won't care until directly confronted.

"People need to take their hits better."
"People need to clean up their trash."
"People have been playing without checking in."
... nothing solved.

Hey, elder..THIS GUY is not taking his hits.
Hey, EB... THIS country is not picking up their trash.
etc..
... steps may be taken for resolution.

I, on the other hand have ZERO problems confronting people. I also have ZERO interest in playing superspy to get pics of someone wearing cargo pants so I can give them grief.

If I see it, I call it. If you see it and don't want to call it, call me, point the person out, and I will call it by proxy.

If you genuinely care and you have a decent amount of common sense and enough credits, apply for costume marshal position.

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-12-23

I also realize that this is a "vent post" and therefor may not actually desire resolution. My responses are for the millions of peoples on the interwebs that may benefit from the responses given on these forums.

Artex

I'd like to do something (on a side not while thinking of it, not superspy pics these are just pics from the events) I've caused waves in the past and without having any official capacity I don't want to do so again. Darkon has a long memory.

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-12-24

I don't remember you... but then again, I don't recall seeing any snow covered grizzly bears out at the last few events.

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2012-12-24

He was in the Darkon movie, actually. He's been away for a while (though we ran into each other at Rag. :D).
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Saris Fey-Branche
Darkonian

Post by Saris Fey-Branche » 2012-12-24

Artex wrote:Lastly I detest being called a liar, PM me for my face book I have pics. I won't call people out in public though.

Well, I have pics of your pants on fire.

Instapoke me on Twittertube and I'll send them to you.

Not photoshopped at all.
Chosen Blood Officer

Artex

Post by Artex » 2012-12-24

-Inox- wrote:He was in the Darkon movie, actually. He's been away for a while (though we ran into each other at Rag. :D).

Yeah I moved away for a while I was really active 1998 till the movie got made. That was a great Rag.