2013 Schedule

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
Kai Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Re: 2013 Schedule

Post by Kai Firebrand » 2013-01-24

I agree that this years schedule is kinda awkward... Why are there like 4 thousand adventure day battles at the start of the year and none at the end? can we remove some and use those days for pre-adventures and campouts and make them more occasional? perhaps spread them out? while it has been said I thumbs up the fact that Late September/early October is awesome campout season. We have a campout the final event of September though and that is good weather. all in all we have 1 more campout this year than last year, which is nice.
Master Kai Mortisius Firebrand (KMF)
SwordSlinger of No Quarter!
Knight of Tuesday
Warriors Guild Member
Knight of the Realm
Order of the Sword (OS)
Order of the Griffon (OG)
Spring Tournament '12 Grand Champion

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-01-24

It would be nice if they werent all crammed together. We learned in the past, when we actually had like 7 campouts in one year or something ridiculous, maybe only 6(?)... that putting too many in a row means people pick and chose... Based on host country and crap.

And while I understand your desire and plan to make Bellum Aeternus a 4 day event (and I knew that the dates were only due to the park being popular, and also ideal IMO for this event) and huger and whatnot, I just hope not a lot of Darkon cash goes into something like a Thursday night adventure that may not have many people at it... Know what I mean? I don't think Wrynn or I think ANYTHING ya'll are planning sucks, more that a slow build to a 4 day event may prove more "thickly" populated throughout the 4 days...

But, whatever, this has little to nothing to do with my complaints with the majority of the 2013 schedule.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2013-01-24

Start of the year has more adventure rules days because I made the schedule for the first month or so of 2013.

I fail to see why the whining about too many adventure days. It did not end the world or ruin the game like many thought but I guess the Board felt the complaints they did get were valid.

You guys are getting 5 camping events this year, one more than last year.

I hate that BA is in the Summer but in the original post you pointed out it was missing MDRF which I know was the goal of some on he committee. Shame too since one of the features of Darkon is the use of armor and it doesn't get used as much in the heat of summer.

And the schedule misses most of the holidays, another request met.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2013-01-24

I am going to add to what others are saying about ACS...that's supposed to be a nice break from armor during some of the hottest times of the year. Putting it during a good armor-wearing time is unfortunate.

Similarly, the Bizarro should be during a LESS warm time of year, so people who want to wear armor in their alternate class can do so comfortably.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-01-25

Lord Dubh wrote:Start of the year has more adventure rules days because I made the schedule for the first month or so of 2013.

I fail to see why the whining about too many adventure days. It did not end the world or ruin the game like many thought but I guess the Board felt the complaints they did get were valid.

You guys are getting 5 camping events this year, one more than last year.

I hate that BA is in the Summer but in the original post you pointed out it was missing MDRF which I know was the goal of some on he committee. Shame too since one of the features of Darkon is the use of armor and it doesn't get used as much in the heat of summer.

And the schedule misses most of the holidays, another request met.

The missing of major holidays IS actually a great idea and a good thing. The biggest problem is too many campouts in too many months in a row... Not the number of them. The "whining is NOT ENOUGH adventure days. Re read. When was this committee announced, who could be part of it? This schedule just reeks of personal agenda... Not trying to sound conspiracy-esque here at all, but it does not make sense from so many angles, compared to the way most years have gone in my 13 years, that it just smells of someone on the committee getting their preferred schedule. It's kinda crappy.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-01-25

sorry if i came off as whining about adventure days. Im fine with just a few for normal day events, i was just asking if the preadventures would be adventure days, even if 1. there was no adventure, and 2. during the 2 team part or just for the "adventure" part.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2013-01-25

thrush i am sorry if you feel the following is true..."Not trying to sound conspiracy-esque here at all, but it does not make sense from so many angles, compared to the way most years have gone in my 13 years, that it just smells of someone on the committee getting their preferred schedule"

I was at the meeting when it was proposed and involved in the overview of this schedule

it is based on trying to:

not hit holidays (which a lot of the previous schedules did)

not hit any major crossgaming events (which again many events in the past did hit) and yes when we fight every other sunday that is a hard thing to accomplish !!!

not have more then the regular events in the year we would have had (one event is off of the regular schedule rotation of every other week schedule but that was do to when we could get the site)

all of which these things were acounted for and included - I am not against switching some things around like the sugestions here reguarding acs and other types of events but to think or elude that the schedule was done because of some personal adjenda by any of the current Board that is not true and not fair to the people that are volunteering thier time to do the best job they can given the situations and circumstances noted above

there is no commitee to make the schedule if you want to be on such a commitee then I sugest you run for a spot on the Board of Directors next year which I will be more then happy to support - mudslinging from a armchair does neither you nor your volunteers justice.
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-01-25

Like I have time to be on a board for a game? No way man. I can't even make every event. I would however happily be on a 1 time scheduling committee. It's not mudslinging if I'm not actually accusing anyone of anything. I merely said it SEEMS like it... Due a weird smooshing together of campouts, and thus cause the first (in my admittedly bad memory) 6 month gap between campouts ever. Unless you're gonna tell me we're gonna do a January or February campout in 2014...

The schedule sucks, I'm not the only one who looked at it and thought: "HUH?" I'm just backing up what I observed with suggestions and defined observations.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Prince Andrick
Knight of the Realm

Post by Prince Andrick » 2013-01-25

Wow. I made the schedule. I presented it to the board and some minor changes were made and it was posted. We wanted to get something up quickly. It amazes me anyone would even think of "personal schedule " coming into play. I looked at holidays, other games events and even tried to schedule campouts when the moon would be out. The suggestion that I in any way did this for personal reasons is offensive.

So, that said I have zero problem with making adjustments such as moving the ACS to hotter weather. We have a campout the last weekend of Sept. That's pretty damn close to Oct. Adding and Oct. date would create campout event campout, which I tried to avoid (and did so, all others have at least 2 events between)

All pre-adventure days are intended to be adventure rules for the entire day. Pre BA2 because there will be an adventure run will also be the pre-adventure for that if they need it.

Hope that answers some of the questions, and I certainly hope people calm the hell down and constructively ask for reasons behind decisions. I am always will to listen, but not to ridiculous accusations.
Prince Andrick VanDahl KR, OSW, OR, OD, CM, CC
High Priest of Thor
Elidorian Minister of War
Field Marshal
President 2013

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-01-28

Ya'll overreacted to the least important part of what's been discussed.

Let's put that to bed now, no one ACTUALLY thinks anyone thought of themselves for the schedule.

I'm impressed with thinking of the moon phases... that's new. lol

A late October campout is a full month after a late September campout... Um, duh? In September, we often are still wearing shorts and swimming in Ocean City, in late October, it often flurries... Weather wise, those 2 months could not be much different. That was the point I was trying to make about the lacking October campout. But also, Andrick, YOU were part of the most adamant group of people I have talked to saying that hot weather campouts suck... That you would not see that we have lumped all but 1 campout into the hotter part of the year, surprises me. You're a member of the larger race last I checked. lol

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-01-28

Giants?

=P

Thrush Svartehjertet

If that's what we're gonna call them now... You're just a short one. rofl

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-01-28

I thought we finally 86'd ACS? There a reason why this one is back at all? Did like 2 guys (who don't usually wear gear) and all the archers ask about it?

Thrush Svartehjertet

No man, it's a supremely popular event in the hot months. It's a florentiner's wet dream... minus the archers.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-01-28

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:No man, it's a supremely popular event in the hot months. It's a florentiner's wet dream... minus the archers.

Thrush
berserk

They should just allow everybody to deflect arrows as if a monk on that day. It'd even things out a bit.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-01-28

and ban black weapons.

Artex

Post by Artex » 2013-01-28

I think it's fun to be forced to go out with a weapon combination you don't normally fight with. One year I went out with a short spear and a flail and had a blast.

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-01-28

fingers630 wrote:and ban black weapons.

Nah - they're blockable, still. I only suggest the deflection ability since arrows aren't legally blockable by anything other than a shield.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-01-29

I dig it, that would be fun.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-01-29

Not that I care that much to bring this up.... but we are consistently trying stop things that FORCE players to play as something that they don't want to, or play in a way that isn't fun to them. ACS takes away half the reason I come out to fight. I go to practice to fight no armor, with silly weapons...
Again, not a big woop. I play in full metal all year (zero * given about the heat), and can fight somewhat "OK" without my gear....

I did like the year that CB allow shields smaller than towers, that way fights could go on as normal... not like dropping 5 cats into a bag.

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2013-01-29

I love ACS battles. It would be cool if they allowed shields for some of the battles though.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~