Narratives in the IC Forum

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
Saris Fey-Branche
Darkonian

Narratives in the IC Forum

Post by Saris Fey-Branche » 2012-01-18

To board moderators etc.:

The descriptive text of this board's IC forum seems to carry the implication that it will be run more sensibly than the last one and includes specific mention of narratives.

It had been previously mentioned that once a narrative was posted all of the information in that narrative was immediately known to the character of any player who read it. In the words of another player, "stumbling upon their diary in the woods". Does this still apply?

I understand that some discretion should be used in the public sharing of information, but I certainly haven't and won't be posting any narratives so long as they are the direct equivalent of making a third person blog post on the fantasy internets, freely open for in character comment by the Darkon hoi polloi. I'm certainly not the only one, and this is unfortunate as they can be a substantial contribution to a richer backdrop for the game.

So... might there be a change in the way the IC forum is run in that regard, now that it is "official"?
Chosen Blood Officer

DarkonAdministrator

Re: Narratives in the IC Forum

Post by DarkonAdministrator » 2012-01-18

This forum does not have a policy on narratives so their are no assumptions that just because it's written in the IC forum means everyone knows it IC. I also don't know how you would expect the invisible overlords of the forums to regulate how people use the information posted here.

You could always simply state that the post is a narrative for the enjoyment of the reader and no information is available IC.

Saris Fey-Branche
Darkonian

"This forum does not have a policy on narratives so their are no assumptions that just because it's written in the IC forum means everyone knows it IC."

As ridiculous as it may seem, the common consensus seemed to be that this was precisely the case.

"the invisible overlords of the forums to regulate how people use the information posted here."

Only in terms of board activity, of course.

"You could always simply state that the post is a narrative for the enjoyment of the reader and no information is available IC."

I'd been left with the strong impression that said disclaimers were not an option. If they are, I will post accordingly and consider any responses counter to said disclaimer to be invalid.
Chosen Blood Officer

ylinett
Darkonian

Post by ylinett » 2012-01-18

I would suggest that anything you want to keep secret you not post. Even if you state that it is OOG, someone might relate it at an event, another person overhears it...and then suddenly it is IG.
Thane of the Northern Kingdoms
Warrior and Brehon of Albion
Lord of the Realm and Knight of Tuesday
OG OR OS OD CC CB CS

Saris Fey-Branche
Darkonian

Naturally. That's why I bolded the line in the original post. Some discretion is called for.
Chosen Blood Officer