April 7th Battle- The Kraken Scenario

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
fingers630
Knight of the Realm

April 7th Battle- The Kraken Scenario

Post by fingers630 » 2013-03-25

Kraken Darkon Boat Battle Scenario
Special:- Adventure Rules in Effect (Spell Points reset between battles)
- No AOE on boats
- Lightning gains AOE in water
- Boats will not sink if hit with Warp Wood/Fireball
- Swimming in water permitted with Armor Class 2 or less (Studded-No Armor) with nothing in hands. Also you may not have more than 1 limb lighted while swimming. If you sustain a second lighted limb or fall in with multiple lighted limbs, you will sink. Players must crawl as if climbing a wall, and are subject to missile fire only while in water.
- Players may physically jump from 1 boat to the next, provided they can make the jump. Falling in the water constitutes losing anything in your hands when you land, or sinking to your death if over AC 2 (chain or above).
- Items lost in water are gone for duration of battle. Arrows may not be retrieved, however spell balls are returned by Elders.
- Each team will have 1 flag, this flag may be used AFTER the battle is over to instantly rez 1 member of its team. You may only rez a player from the team the flag represents, this means it is possible to raise one of the “enemy”. Regular rez rules are in effect, so that person may decline the rez if they wish, either way the flag has 1 “charge”.
- When the battle is over, you have 5 minutes to rez and mend your team. You can only rez and mend the members of your own team, with the exception of 1 player rezed with the enemy flag. When this 5 minutes is over, all dead will be cleared from the ship, and the Kraken will reveal itself. The winning team now fights the Kraken, either killing the “head” or cutting off all the tentacles, and causing it to flee.

Two boats set up, approximately 5-6 feet from each other. Basic square style boats with a slightly curved “prow” of the ship, using ropes to mark the outline. At the opposite ends of the boats, a small “plank” is roped off, using different color string. This represents an indestructible, immovable, plank wherein 1 person at a time, may cross between ships.

Spells may be precast as if this were a land search event (pouches, enchant item, “pouch” spells, and headband armor). Lay on is called and both sides fight to the death. Adventure boat rules in play, wherein players in AR 2 or less may “swim” with nothing in their hands. Players may fight across the planks, or jump back and forth, or fight across the sides of the boats. Shield bashing into the water is permitted. If you are in AR2 armor or less, you lose anything in your hands when you land. If you are in AR3 or greater, you sink to your death. (Players killed in water may not be rezzed)

When a winner is decided, that team may use the 2 flags for rezes. You may only use a flag once, and you may only rez a member of the team the flag represents. As per the spell, they have the right to decline the rez, and the charge is spent. You now have FIVE MINUTES to prepare for the Kraken’s assault. Rez as many as your team as you can, mend your armor, sharpen your blades, and prepare for battle!

Why would I rez my enemy? You may ask (as Thrush did!) Well, in the eyes of a Kraken, you are all nothing but food. The winning team will now face the mighty beast that has been plucking off your warriors during the 2 team fight, and every sword counts! This will give 1 member of the losing team the opportunity to join your battle against the mighty beast. Perhaps he impressed you with the way he held the ship against your charging warriors, or perhaps she is an arcane power house that you think might turn the tide in your favor. Either way it is up to the winner’s who they choose (and they don’t have to choose anyone if they don’t want to). All of the rest of the dead will clear the field to watch the beast try to devour you.

In order to defeat the Kraken, you must either Kill the Head, or destroy its tentacles. If the Kraken has no more tentacles, it will dive under the water and flee. If you kill the head, it will die.
Last edited by fingers630 on 2013-03-26, edited 1 time in total.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Re: April 7th Battle- The Kraken Scenario

Post by fingers630 » 2013-03-25

Just some quick reminders:

-Normal Battle Rules for the day (2 teams)
-During the Kraken Scenario Adventure Rules will be in effect and spell points are reset to full
-There is no such thing as "swimmng under water". If you are in the water, you may be shot with arrows, hit with spells, and attacked by the Kraken.
-If you drop an item into the water, you lose it until the scenario is over. This includes fired arrows. Spell balls will be replaced by elders.

I will need 4 elders for this scenario, as well as 7 NPCs. 6 of which will need spears/pole arms. The 7th will play my Kraken Body and should be advised that there will be lots of people hitting them lots of times :)

We will also require 2 Country Banners. These should be safe enough to have on the field of combat.

Interested parties please message me or see me at Check in. The Kraken Scenario will begin at 2:30pm to allow for Land Events. This event will be postponed if for any reason it has rained and we are not allowed to use Burtonsville field. I will not be running it in the woods.
Last edited by fingers630 on 2013-03-26, edited 1 time in total.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-03-26

RESOLVED

Thrush
berserk
Last edited by Thrush Svartehjertet on 2013-03-26, edited 1 time in total.
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-03-26

Ah good catch, for this scenario you are only affected by missile fire, spells and the kraken as the boats are friggin huge. NORMALLY however, you can be speared. Someone at the campout was claiming immunity to damage while swimming due to swimming under water.

I fixed the above :)

Kobalos

Post by Kobalos » 2013-03-26

Looks like fun!

To eliminate confusion, you may want to switch your armor references from "AR" (old) to "AC" (new).
--Κοβαλος

Baron Kobalos
Fauzi ibn-al-Rashid al-Halabi, KR, OR, CB
Steward of House Dubh
Director, First Royal Darkon Trust
Head NC Armor Marshal 2014

Thrush Svartehjertet

For "Air Conditioning".

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2013-03-26

fingers630 wrote:Ah good catch, for this scenario you are only affected by missile fire, spells and the kraken as the boats are friggin huge. NORMALLY however, you can be speared. Someone at the campout was claiming immunity to damage while swimming due to swimming under water.

I fixed the above :)

Man, I hate when people make stuff up like "underwater swimming". This is inherently the problem with abstractions like that, though. The more it's a pure imagination element, the more people are going to find some silly way to try to cheese it.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Air conditioning fixed!

Yeah especially when it was told to a newbie trying to kill said person.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Wow... That's a new level of dickish I GOTTA WIN AT ALL COST... to a newby no less? Lame. Almost as lame as * next to a toilet.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Is taht what that was? Yeah when I left Sat about 8 I noticed some brown smears on the floor. I had hoped it was mud...

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-03-29

Bump. Just a reminder I will need NPCs and Elders for this event.

CHED NESAD has offered to aid as volunteers for the Kraken. We will still need elders.
Last edited by fingers630 on 2013-04-03, edited 1 time in total.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-04-03

THIS JUST IN!! CUPCAKES!!!!!!!!!!!

There will be Kraken Themed Cupcakes for sale at the event as well. The cost is 5 gold coins each hard coin only. Baked by BAMC's very own Muffin, so you know they will be good. I have confirmed they are not Kraken flavored, sorry Thrush.

Also in an attempt to further bring coin back to the Realm, I will be selling potions for the Kraken Scenarios. These potions will be good for as many battles as we do in the Kraken Scenario and any two teams that happens AFTER the Kraken Scenario. They are not good for Land Searches or anything prior to the Kraken Scenarios.

Potions will be limited in quantity, and you are limited to purchasing 1 of each type. You are also responsible for material components so plan ahead.

Prices are as follows:
Missile Ward 5gp
Protection from Ice 5gp
Protection from Lightning 5gp

Protection from Fire 10gp
Captain Ig's Armored Fish Oil* 10gp

Resurrection 20gp

*Armored Fish Oil is applied to a suit of heavy armor before one of the Kraken Scenario battles. The user then dons a purple arm band on his or her off handed arm. For the duration of the battle, if the user happens to fall into the water, he or she may swim as if they were wearing no armor at all. Anything held in hands is still lost for the duration of the battle, however it gives them the chance to swim back up onto a boat.*
Last edited by fingers630 on 2013-04-04, edited 1 time in total.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-04-04

A few notes about the Kraken.

The Kraken is a HUGE beast that will pull itself up onto the ship after the 2 team ship battle is over (approximately 5 min after). It has a huge beak as well as 6 giant tentacles. The Kraken itself is Giant Sized with a 15ft range. The boats I am making will be BIGGER than 15 ft, so if you stand at the back of the boat, you will be out of range of the Giant Growth. The Kraken body itself MAY NOT BE GRAPPLED.

The Kraken is a Magical Beast and as such is HIGHLY RESISTANT to physical damage that has not been enchanted or blessed by a god. Dont feel however that normal weapons are useless, as the tentacles of the great beast are not as tough as the main body.

Speaking of the Tentacles, they are immune to any "growth" spells that PCs might use but they will not cause you to get on your knees. Tentacles will be attacking from all sides of the boat, and will be doing DOUBLE YELLOW damage. This counts as a single strike for Iron/Stone/Steel skin, and the equivalent of "2 pts" as far as armor is concerned. Tentacles can grapple you, and pull you from the boat! Be advised that you will lose anything in your hands when you hit the water, and that heavily armored individuals will drown (if only there were a magic elixir you could purchase for 10gp to save you from drowning available at check in...)

The Kraken also breaks shields so be forewarned that hiding behind them will only save you a little while.

The Kraken may also slither back into the water to regroup. Remember that when in the water, only missile weapons and lightning bolts/magic missiles will affect it.

Finally the Kraken has the ability to cry out with a sonic scream. This functions as the "Curse" spell and will effect whomever the Kraken strikes with its spellball (either red or pink but Ill display before we fight).

Fight Hard. Die well. And may the water never boil!

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2013-04-04

How are teams generated? Just what can fit on a boat?
Beast of BABALON

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-04-04

I will break up countries as "balanced" as I can make them for the boats. No seige equipment on boats, however there should be plenty of room for people so everyone isnt packed tight like sardines.

Everyone will remain in character so old grudges can be settled at any point during the battle, should someone feel froggy....

After the initial battle, if teams were unfair or people wish to swap up, we can easily do that for further fights.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-04-07

Thank you to Ched for supplying the tentacles of the Kraken, and Maggot for playing the body. He seemed to have an absolute blast killing you all and breaking your shields. Apologies for the cheaply made ship but I worked with a small budget. Ill try to get some thicker rope and more stakes for the next time :)

Thanks to Soulo and Lanham for Eldering and to Muffin for providing the awesome Kraken cupcakes. I haven't counted it yet, but I believe I raised another 100gp for the game, bringing the total of returned coin to 350.

I hope everyone enjoyed the event. Id like to get it going longer but there seemed like a lot of other things going on at the same time so Ill probably get something going on again after the next campout.

Tsukebe

Post by Tsukebe » 2013-04-07

That event was quite fun... Even I can't find anything to complain about...

Thank you Fingers!
[hr]
[move][font=center]Contact Me[/font][/move]
[hr]

Guy The Bloodied

Post by Guy The Bloodied » 2013-04-07

On behalf of all of us who played the Kraken, I'd just like to say BLOOLOOLOOLOOLOOLOOLOOLOOLOO!!!

That is all.
Guy LeDouche the Bloodied
Chosen Warboss of Ched Nasad
Chaos Monk of Khorne
Matron Mother of House LeDouche
"We kneel to no man...because we can't"

Banditt
Darkonian

Post by Banditt » 2013-04-08

That was an awsome fight. I haven't had that much fun in a long time, or this sore. Thank you Fingers.

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2013-04-08

Yes, thank you for running that scenario, and thanks to all who helped. It was a blast.
Beast of BABALON

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-04-09

Indeed!

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2013-04-10

Awesome battle dude. If only more of these battles were played instead of two teams.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-04-10

And essentially....it is two teams, but with a twist!

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-04-11

fingers630 wrote:And essentially....it is two teams, but with a twist!

Best kind! Well... that and any CTF scenario.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild