Darkon Coin

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
Siren
Darkonian

Darkon Coin

Post by Siren » 2013-03-27

Hey guys,

Coin Marshal here, and for once it's not about the best times to find me or get in touch with me for withdrawals.

We need to talk about hard coin. At the campout excess of 1000 G was distributed out to the realm in a variety of ways. a little bit under 1/5 of that made it back to the coin bag.

If you are hoarding gold, if it is hiding under your couch, please get it back into circulation. At the current point in time we are frighteningly low on coin. This means, that in the very near future I may not be able to pay people out of their coffers because we simply do not have the hard coin to cover it. I've been fluffing the coin bag for several months now with my own coin so that this does not happen.

If you have friends, or country members who do not come out, but have gold get in touch! I can only work with what is in the bag, it is our responsibility as players to make sure that we keep the gold we have in circulation so that it doesn't dry up and make hoarding gold necessary again.
~Siren

Az'Sirenythe Azuviir Kreatondaughter
Warrior of Ched Nasad
Leader of the Myrmidon Entertainment Guild
Sailing Master of the CNS. IHM. Eastern Pride
Way too many other titles to list here...

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Re: Darkon Coin

Post by fingers630 » 2013-03-27

And considering the number of thieves bitching about people not having any coin on them this is unacceptable. Maybe we should put a cap on coin removal at events or something. I was personally astonished to see people pulling out hundreds of gold to purchase potions. * If I happen to have 10 gold on me I feel rich.

Maybe we should just do away with coin in the game since people just hoard it anyway. Make coffers for land related transactions and have it all on paper, no hard coin need be used and the club doesnt have to waste money replacing what sits in some schmuck's basement.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2013-03-27

Or, just make it so PCs can only loot NPCs. People would carry it on them and spend it at the taverns and such.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2013-03-27

Coin should be an annual expense. Order 2500 coins a year as an expected expense and move on.

Seriously, coin is one of the most unique aspects of the club. Don't stop using it.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

I may auction off some Items of Campout winning next campout for hundreds of gold.

"Here is a potion that allows you to do double black and shield break in 1 hit. 500 gold, hard coins only please."

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-03-27

Oh neat, it'll be like Friday night of this past campout. *smirk*

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Exactly. So much fun, you'll * on the floor...

Siren
Darkonian

I'm working on an idea to deal with the issues with coin, and try to get a system set up with the game where we do get x amount of coin every year. But taking away coin from the game would make me cry. Seriously.

There is already a cap on coin, but now that there are Province marks in play you can trade up for a higher denomination coin and gold come back to the bag.

For me, coin is an integral part of game play and taking it away or changing how it works would take away from one of the most unique and fun aspects of Darkon. At least for me, and I suspect a number of other players who come out more for RP than for fighting.
~Siren

Warrior of Ched Nasad

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

What is the current withdraw cap for coinage? Ive always liked darkon coin but when people have more gold than some countries it just seems silly to me /shrug.

Siren
Darkonian

A country can pull up to 500 if I know it's going into circulation and the bag is healthy.

As of right now, everything is capped at 200 because of the dearth of coin.
~Siren

Warrior of Ched Nasad

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-03-28

fingers630 wrote:Exactly. So much fun, you'll * on the floor...

Thanks... I just snorked my Monster.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2013-03-28

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:
fingers630 wrote:Exactly. So much fun, you'll * on the floor...

Thanks... I just snorked my Monster.

Thrush
berserk

Ok, cussing is one thing but talking about self pleasure....really?
Master Thief of Darkon

____

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-03-28

lmao

Zodiac89

Post by Zodiac89 » 2013-03-28

I think he meant the Energy Drink, Monster. Not his..never mind. I don't want coin to go away either, I spent almost 60 coin at camp out on potions and food.

I've seen some people saying that part of the issue is that there isn't enough things to spend coin on that would help out the coin shortage problem the club is facing. Since if you hire an assassin or buy potions from a mage or hire mercs, that helps the person or country in question, not the club.
Barknell: Druid, observing the realm, beholding the beauty of Mother Nature.
Every rose has its thorns, every book, a story.

Never suffer Betrayal.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

That's up to the country hosting the event. The problem is the coin goes out, and stays out, and the club now has to waste money buying more coin. Even with "banks" of darkon, i guarantee you 99% of the population has all their coin sitting in a box or bag at home, and it stays there.

Jen said she gave out a TON of coin last campout, and at least 5 people I spoke to said "not a single dead person had coin". Where was it? Squirreled away in camp tents, or in cars. And therein lies the problem.

Perhaps coin should change color based on the year. 2013 we have gold coins. in 2014 the coins are now blue, your gold coins are not valid anymore. So no point in hording them all at home. Of course 5-6 years from now, when we use the color gold again, if youve horded your coins, you have a year to spend them...

Calus
Darkonian

Post by Calus » 2013-03-28

Maybe implement a rule that states all coin belonging to individuals should makes its way to campouts and events?

Even so, people still horde them in their tents and only bring them out just before they buy something.

Me and a fellow newbie theif searched about 20 people together at the last campout and found absolutely nothing.
Sic Semper Tyrannis

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

To prevent Darkon from losing physical coins, participant should turn their coins into the Banker of Darkon at the end of each event. The Banker will then place them into the participant’s account. Alternatively participants may take their coins with them, but they are encouraged to have at least 50% of their wealth with them at
all times.

Actually in the rulebook.

Volney

Post by Volney » 2013-03-28

One idea perhaps looking into is having some form of consumable items that are sold for every event. Even for Battle days. Perhaps nothing game breaking but some potion or one use item that would only last for that day.

Part of the reason for having the items every day is that currently the only reason a individual players would carry gold are on Adventure rules days. so it seems easy to have them get the gold for one event and then leave their coin at home for several event days.

While thy would not bring in a large number of coin per event it would at least be able to get a steady stream of coin back into the coffers.

Note this would be beyond the grand folks who cook and offer food for events for coin but rather in game items.
Lead with the face!

shroom2021
Darkonian

Post by shroom2021 » 2013-03-28

What about something to the effect of:

A country must keep a physical representation of its wealth at all times and in order for the country to be considered checked in it must present its coffers. The amount kept in the countries coffers should represent at least 50 % of the wealth of the country and is subject to inspection at any check in at any time.
Country coffers may not be stolen/looted during normal day events but are subject to theft during campouts.

I am also thinking that we might be able to allow some substitution of gold if a country could not actually drum up enough to make check in, something to this effect:

If a country cannot collect enough physical coin to represent at least 50 % of its wealth it will have two options. Accept a new total wealth of 2x the amount of coin they are able to present or substitute colored "jewels" equal to the following amounts:
Red jewel = 1 silver coin
Green jewel = 1 gold coin
Blue jewel = 1 Black coin

This allows a country to either take a penalty for losing Darkon coin, or substitute it with some cheap plastic "jewels" that can be purchased at Michaels for pennies. Gives a little diversity to the "treasure" a theif can loot as well.

shroom2021
Darkonian

Post by shroom2021 » 2013-03-28

I am pretty sure for RP most people accept other forms of payment than coin. I know I once payed the Orcs in "teeth"(represented by chiclets) .

Gor Strayhorn

Post by Gor Strayhorn » 2013-03-28

We have more gold than silver right? And we have moved away from the silver standard into the gold standard. Why not recall all silver coin and make it "platinum" representing X gold?
Gor Strayhorn
Great Wolf - Battle Leader of Asaheim
Warden and Warhound of Asaheim
First Ranger of Asaheim

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2013-03-29

Way way too complicated and that rule needs to be removed.

Coinage is a consumable. Order 2500 coins annually using the die of the current King and be done with it.

John
Master Thief of Darkon

____

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-03-29

What does that do to bring out the hordes of coin that are squirreled away in people's basements? What do we do when that 2500 gold is gone halfway through the year? "Sorry, we are out of coin, better luck next year!"

I dont support anything making countries bring out half of their wealth each event as that makes 0 sense. Some countries have millions of gold, and why would they bring 500000 coins to a battle field? Especially if they have 4 guys that day lol. Plus the fact is country "coin" is handled by paper and that is fine. What should be done is that "country" coin should be used for "country" actions only, not made useable to buy individuals potions, or for people to use as their personal bank.

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2013-03-29

Thom,

NOTHING will prevent hoarding. Ever. 20 years of this debate has resulted in nothing.

What makes people bring coins to events? Gambling. Gambling. Gambling.

I do support separating character economy from country economy.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-03-29

shroom2021 wrote:I am pretty sure for RP most people accept other forms of payment than coin. I know I once payed the Orcs in "teeth"(represented by chiclets) .

Some people do only want gold.

But my ranger accepts hallucination poison as payment...