To ALL Participants

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
Keiori Night

To ALL Participants

Post by Keiori Night » 2013-04-22

It has come to my attention that players are under the impression that they may check-in without being in full garb, nor country insignia/symbol displayed. Please note that additions and removals are updated to the rule book every 6 months. A rule that may have been in effect 6 months ago may not necessarily be in place currently. Please, check with Marshals if you are unsure. It, indeed, USED to be that players could check-in without garb and country insignia/symbols on and count as country, this is no longer the case. To ensure accurate count for country status and the safety of participants, all players MUST be checked by Marshals (Weapons, Armour and Costume) BEFORE they may check-in with the Treasurer and Secretary per the rules as written under the Check-in heading on pg. 13.

"At the beginning of each event, all participants must go through a check‐in process, which is organized by the Board. Various Marshals, will examine the gear and equipment of each participant to ensure rule compliance. Once a participant has passed through the Marshal inspections, he may THEN pay his dues for the event to the Treasurer and record his participation with the Secretary."

Here is the link:
http://www.darkon.org/rulebooks/DarkonR ... an2013.pdf

Darkonians, be in garb for check-in or you will be asked to step out of line and garb-up to meet standards.

If a player wants to check-in with a certain country, that country's livery MUST be displayed on the player. No symbol=not counted as part of that country for the day. This rule can be found under the heading of Heraldry and Livery pg. 15.

"When checking in, members of a country MUST WEAR the country or a knight’s livery to count as a member of that country. It is the responsibility of the Costume Marshal to check the livery of participants to ensure it is adequate to count as livery."

Here is the link:
http://www.darkon.org/rulebooks/DarkonR ... an2013.pdf

I have every confidence that these two issues will resolve themselves. Darkon is full of awesome people that can adapt and so far this year the standards have improved GREATLY!!!! Good Job! Thank you for your cooperation and compliance with the enforcement of these rules. Darkon, you are awesome people never forget that.

Yours In service,
Keiori Night
Head Costume Marshal
Soldier of New Mordom
Cleric of New Mordom
Senator of New Mordom

Thrush Svartehjertet

Re: To ALL Participants

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-04-22

So the guy in Adidas track pants and a zipper hoodie, the guy in the wife beater, skater hat and sunglasses, and the dude in the blue jeans all took their passing garb off after check in? The garb on the field yesterday was really bad, but at least we turned Alexander of Elidor away for trying to pay before putting on his decent garb... *rolls eyes*

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-04-22

Lots of new players yesterday (at least new enough, the ones I stabbed during the few 2teams I could get in)... though there were also a lot of people who put on street clothes to watch the fights, imho bad for pictures.

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-04-22

Lord Valfryn wrote:Lots of new players yesterday (at least new enough, the ones I stabbed during the few 2teams I could get in)... though there were also a lot of people who put on street clothes to watch the fights, imho bad for pictures.

A good photographer can work around that, for the most part (unless it's like, the same amount of people as are playing).

Keiori Night

Post by Keiori Night » 2013-04-24

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:So the guy in Adidas track pants and a zipper hoodie, the guy in the wife beater, skater hat and sunglasses, and the dude in the blue jeans all took their passing garb off after check in? The garb on the field yesterday was really bad, but at least we turned Alexander of Elidor away for trying to pay before putting on his decent garb... *rolls eyes*

Thrush
berserk

Great comment! I'm sure others want an explanation too. I agree that there were those people on the field but please remember that the people you are speaking of were undeclared first timers. According to the Rules As Written all garb requirements are only for those players that have reached their 6th event. It can be found on pg. 16 under the Heraldry and Livery heading, "Livery rules can be suspended for new participants for their first 5 Darkon events, allowing them time to join or form a country or join a retinue in the Realm of Darkon."

For the first 5 events the costume requirements are lapsed to give a new player the chance to build a costume to meet standard requirements. However, most new players who make it to their 6th event and have a continued interest in Darkon, usually by their 3rd or 4th event have garb that passes minimum requirements. I encourage you Thrush, if you see someone on the field that is not meeting the minimum requirements to ask them how many events they have attended. If they answer 1-5 then there is nothing that can be done. If they answer 6 or above, please point them out to me and I will take immediate action! Also I do not check costumes for late check-in. If there are people who have come in after 1pm I can only do my best if I see them. If you wish to report specific people whom you see are in violation please private message me or email me at Merizink@gmail.com Subject: Darkon violation, and I will happily take correct action. Thank you. :)

Yours In Service,
Keiori Night
Head Costume Marshal
Soldier of New Mordom
Cleric of New Mordom
Senator of New Mordom

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-04-24

*salutes*

Thrush
berserk

EDIT: I don't think we should let new people wear sunglasses and modern hats. It sets a bad precident and they are accessories, not clothing.
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Kobalos

Post by Kobalos » 2013-04-24

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:EDIT: I don't think we should let new people wear sunglasses and modern hats. It sets a bad precident and they are accessories, not clothing.

Word.
--Κοβαλος

Baron Kobalos
Fauzi ibn-al-Rashid al-Halabi, KR, OR, CB
Steward of House Dubh
Director, First Royal Darkon Trust
Head NC Armor Marshal 2014

Artex

Post by Artex » 2013-04-24

When I joined darkon your first event you had to at least make an attempt a garb to field. I don't think we should let noobs on the field just because they show up in their chucks and van halen t-shirt (or what everkids listen to these days). People who show up not in garb need to be told to stay on the sidelines and talk to full members about what they should get together for their first event. They can talk to anyone about how to make a basic tabard and getting a pair of black sweat pants from walmart. I don't think thats too much to expect.

If people can't invest 12$ at wal mart and an hour of their time they should not be let on the field to play. And If a vet or player who knows better is bring Larry Noobburger out to darkon dressed like he's going to shoot some hoops, they need to have a long conversation about how darkon should run.

If I had my way I'd reach back to a purer time and keep all these noobs off the field. If you show up to play paintball you have to rent a helmet and a gun. If you go to play a team sport you need your uniform before you can field with the team. I don't think we need to make exceptions because people are new. Hats and basketball shorts don't belong on the field.

I started out with the 12$ walmart fabric tabard and sweat pants, and have improved my garb over time. I expect no less from any other new player coming out. It shows you respect the theme of the game that you want to be a part of.

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2013-04-24

Without new players we will not continue to grow and evolve as a game and community. I completely disagree with you about not letting these new players field because they dont have adequate gear on their first event.

If they are just feeling out the game and dont want to invest time or money into something they have no idea if they will enjoy I cannot blame them.

I can however blame the person that brought them out for not having at least something they could put over the band-tee or whatever.
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

Artex

Post by Artex » 2013-04-24

Black sweat pants and 6 bucks in fabric is not a major investment.