What is wrong with Darkon?

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
BaiterofBAMC
Darkonian

What is wrong with Darkon?

Post by BaiterofBAMC » 2013-05-08

I havent been out in a whiles, but am I wrong to hear that no countries have stepped up to host campouts this year? That's a pretty sad state of affairs considering that we only have 4 (Plus Bellum) of them this year.

What happened so that noone wants to pony up to run a campout?

Thrush Svartehjertet

Re: What is wrong with Darkon?

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-05-09

That's a complicated question. But an over simplification of it in my eyes is: Reunion Farm. We stayed there too long because it was neat to build stuff and it seemed like home. But what happend was over the course of about 8 years all campouts slowly but surely became the same... And because every campout was the same, people got into habits. The same people go to the same camps to hang out around the same fires... Reunion farm has basically become mini ren fest. Doesn't matter what you run there, it's still the same circle trail with the same tavern. The newest site we have, Patuxant, is an ovbiously modern park, and as Darkon lost it's ability to imagine new and exciting adventures at reunion, I personally feel we lost our ability to imagine cool stuff anywhere. Until someone proves me wrong, this is how I feel. Darkon campouts are a place to socialize in garb, that HAPPEN to have a game being played. No one "cares" anymore. When was the last time there was an every country for them self campout that actually worked? The host or story of a campout seems to have little bearing on who and how many show up. Everyone just wants to hang out. For as much talk as there is about war and the map being important, the realm's actions say it is a social club these days, not a war game.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2013-05-09

Honestly I'm going to have to step forward here and disagree with what's being said. This is a blanket statement that no country in the realm cares. Countries care, but there are a variety of reasons why no one has stepped forward for this campout. Be the reasons money, real world obligations, or that, like nurgle, they are already running something, albeit later this year. Some of the best campouts from recent years were run at reunion, off the top of my head: World's Faire, El Dorado, The Djinn vs The Genie, The turtle island.

Bring your imagination to this campout thrush. You're definitely gonna have at least one "sheep" tied to the FO gatepost at some point
Rake, roustabout, vagabond and general no account sketchy
Some disreputable folks even go so far as to call me a mountebank
Holder of non-noble titles to numerous to mention

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Thrush Svartehjertet

Cas and I are running a CTF scenario, not a campout. No imagination, sorry... It gives the realm a fun game to play when no one wrote a story. If I were to run a campout, it would take me a long time to get it together (costumes, props, etc...)

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-05-09

Everyone just wants to hang out

That is part of it. Super teams that dont want to fight each other tends to be another. The last campout I went to there had about 30 of us outside of NK and they were doing Country stuff in their camp and didnt want to fight us. There was no one else to fight.

Campouts with lots of NPCs baddies take BIG countries. The campout I/Elidor ran last (2-3 years back now) had Elidor, BA and another country for NPCs. At times it was 40 of us vs the Realm as people didnt fight each other, just teamed up vs the bad guys.

Personally Ill probably make 1 campout at Reunion this year, as I dont like the 3 hour drive each way. I do like the site, even if it is repetative to walk the circuit, but drive vs reward thing for me.

Also I am not sure the whole process with how things work. I am a Head Event Marshall, but am not really in the loop for adventures people run including campouts. They are sent to the EB and handled there. Hell there isnt even an "Event Marshall" position listed in the rulebook. So what do I do aside from come up with a half dozen "adventure" scenarios per year?
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Thrush Svartehjertet

Fingers really needs to be in the position of ONE POINT OF CONTACT for all event related things/submissions. We trust him to do the job, so trust him to yay or nay *... I mean really, hasn;t he pretty much proven that the realm's fun is in his best interest?

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Prince Andrick
Knight of the Realm

Post by Prince Andrick » 2013-05-09

Just so all are aware, I am working on a new, much closer campsite. For those of you that remember him Darr/ Troy Brown has some property that looks very promising in AA county near whatever that park was we use to have out near his place. I'll keep you posted once I get a free weekend to go check it out myself.
Prince Andrick VanDahl KR, OSW, OR, OD, CM, CC
High Priest of Thor
Elidorian Minister of War
Field Marshal
President 2013

Thrush Svartehjertet

Let me know if I can help, Tim.

Seb
Warriors Guild

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:Let me know if I can help, Tim.

Seb

DItto, I can carpool with your Dundalk living ass as I live in Essex :)

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2013-05-09

Lanham and I talked about this last year.

Those who have done campouts put a lot of work into them but no matter how good or bad they are people bitch. Bitch bitch bitch bitch...and some even refuse to participate or worse run off to play their own game.

When the people running the event see the above...it demotivates them.

I don't blame people for not running campouts anymore. All they get is *...even when it is a good one.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-05-09

I have to wonder, though... A few years ago there were some years in a row where TOO many people tried to run them and people got denied. Was being rejected part of the problem? Do those people now not want to run anything? I don't know. Hard to say...

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-05-09

Lord Dubh wrote:Lanham and I talked about this last year.

Those who have done campouts put a lot of work into them but no matter how good or bad they are people *. * * * *...and some even refuse to participate or worse run off to play their own game.

I don't blame people for not running campouts anymore. All they get is *...even when it is a good one.

This is also a problem.

So far, of the two Patuxent campouts, both have had some devolution into a random two-team fight where a bunch of people just fight two teams in the field for a good portion of the time. This year's March campout did feature super teams, so maybe that led a little more to it... But last year's had a bunch of countries all seemingly working for themselves, and yet it still became that.

Who wants to run a campout if there are some people that won't even try to play it?

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Yep Ive been having a hard enough time keeping people's interest for an hour during a day event without them devolving into 2 teams..

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2013-05-09

Lord Dubh wrote:Those who have done campouts put a lot of work into them but no matter how good or bad they are people bitch. Bitch bitch bitch bitch...and some even refuse to participate or worse run off to play their own game.

This is exactly it. Running campouts can be stressful enough as it is without the huge amount of bitching from countries within the past few years. You can't seem to please everybody, and it really becomes a matter of whether we want to deal with all the bitching and * to run a campout that benefits the game.

I currently have 1 fully written Campout and one 1/2 written one that I've been holding on to.
I dont have the time or funding to make the props or costumes or anything, so they will be peicemealed together until I feel comfortable running a good, well done campout.
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

Sir Orlffson

Post by Sir Orlffson » 2013-05-09

We had three full countries, and a multitude of partial countries help with the worlds fair, thousands of dollars, and two years of planning... and the amount of bitching was out of this world. "I'm not gonna fight that country because we play DND together". Then there is the people that are just vindictive "I missed the mod, because I was in camp drinking beer, so * you and everything you plan on doing this weekend". Then we had "adventure" haters, "I don't like adventure abilities, I'm just gonna two team", why they come to campouts I don't know. Hell, we even got people telling us what hits our monsters should take, and they told us we were cheating. WTF Darkon, all you do is make it harder for someone to wanna step up. This last campout I heard so many people complaining about the monsters hits... There were 10 guys , fighting all of Darkon, what do you expect. Even so, the hits were not too outlandish. And if not fighting NK kills the campout for you, then you are not participating in the campout. Hell, even when we are attacked, we are almost never searched. We are attacked for the sake of the fight, not the adventure.
Baron Dritz Orlffson
Master of the Raven

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-05-10

Figuring out how to get individual countires to fight each other (not NPCs, and not super teams) would go a long way to making campouts fun again. At my first campout my country of about 10 newbs got 3rd place by TRYING. Bloody Axe has placed at many cmapouts with like 4 dudes by being smart. Northern Kingdoms presents a serious problem to anyone making a campout, that's a fact. It will be hard for a country of 7 people to beat 3 countries fighting under one banner. Asking Nurgle and Aquilonia NOT to team up now a days, seems silly. We kind of have built in Super Teams.

I also had fun at the Gatorland campout and the Worlds Fair campout. They both had a lot of effort put in. Mods need to not be the answer any more. And if you make a mechanic that NO ONE likes, drop it, trust me, you'll have less people go off and spar.

I don't have answers, I am merely observant.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2013-05-11

Thrush I've got to disagree again. Nurgle and AQ are not a super team, nor is it built in. At no campout in the last two years have we gotten more than 3 from them, or put more than 20 on the field. They fought against us on the most recent land war. I'd be more concerned with NQ and Slindar's retinue/supporters(EoG?) as a super team.

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-05-13

Your are not a super team because Aquilonia field less than 10 people, especially at campouts. A few years back you were nigh on unbeatable becasue you had fighters and sneaky peops able to cover all bases at any campout. And good on you for playing the game. What I said above was that Northern Kingdoms is, by default a built in Super Team, and that we can;t blame countries like Aquilonia and Nurgle for teaming up.

And as to Slindar's supporters and No Quarter! being a super team, here's who usually shows up to campouts to fight as a group:

Slindar
Malkin
Thrush
Erikjetter
Wrynn
Kai (sometimes)
Tyriel
Lux
Inox (Saturday only)
Fyxe (Saturday only)

That's been our "Super Team" for the last few years when we actually fought as our own team at campouts. We have fought with Elidor when we had less than that and they did as well... But I don't remember team Thoridor ever being over 15 strong.

We're just really good at fighting.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2013-05-13

Ah I misinterpreted what you were saying in regards to built in. I thought you were saying that because of our history with AQ, we were a built in super team currently. Which as an idea I certainly disagree with, and you guys are still pretty super even if you are never over 15 deep. I say that because you guys are really that good at fighting.

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

Thrush Svartehjertet

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA, I love you man.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-05-13

Snudge wrote:Thrush I've got to disagree again. Nurgle and AQ are not a super team, nor is it built in. At no campout in the last two years have we gotten more than 3 from them, or put more than 20 on the field. They fought against us on the most recent land war. I'd be more concerned with NQ and Slindar's retinue/supporters(EoG?) as a super team.

In the current land wars... EOG fought with CB at Oregon Ridge, and NQ fought with NK (just like you and AQ fought against each other that same day).

Thrush Svartehjertet

Yup, and contrary to joking, the remaining 4 Forgotten Ones are not part of No Quarter!, we merely fight with them a lot because we don't have a country and like those guys. On SOME days we actually are fighting with them as a unit of mercs... but most days we just hang out.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

CasofElidor

Post by CasofElidor » 2013-05-13

Thrush is just afraid he would look bad in red and white.

Kobalos

Post by Kobalos » 2013-05-13

Thrush is afraid that if he did dress in red & white, he might be confused with one of his sheep.
--Κοβαλος

Baron Kobalos
Fauzi ibn-al-Rashid al-Halabi, KR, OR, CB
Steward of House Dubh
Director, First Royal Darkon Trust
Head NC Armor Marshal 2014

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-05-14

*blink... blink*

Duh?

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild