What is wrong with Darkon?

General chatter about the Club and Realm of Darkon
Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Re: What is wrong with Darkon?

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-05-15

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote: It will be hard for a country of 7 people to beat 3 countries fighting under one banner.

I'm trying my hardest, man!

Sir Caetrel
President

Post by Sir Caetrel » 2013-05-16

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:Figuring out how to get individual countires to fight each other (not NPCs, and not super teams) would go a long way to making campouts fun again. At my first campout my country of about 10 newbs got 3rd place by TRYING. Bloody Axe has placed at many cmapouts with like 4 dudes by being smart. Northern Kingdoms presents a serious problem to anyone making a campout, that's a fact. It will be hard for a country of 7 people to beat 3 countries fighting under one banner. Asking Nurgle and Aquilonia NOT to team up now a days, seems silly. We kind of have built in Super Teams.

I also had fun at the Gatorland campout and the Worlds Fair campout. They both had a lot of effort put in. Mods need to not be the answer any more. And if you make a mechanic that NO ONE likes, drop it, trust me, you'll have less people go off and spar.

I don't have answers, I am merely observant.

Thrush
berserk

NK is one country. Just because we chose a new name rather than keep one of the old names does not change this. Every large country in Darkon history has taken in players from other countries to build their ranks. Complaining that we are too big is just that: complaining that we are too big.
Baron Caetrel Von Garren, KR, OSW, OR, OG, CC, CS
Lord Protector of The Northern Kingdoms
King of Sarum
High Priest of Torm The True, First Born of The Dragyn
Brother of The White Mantle
Knight of The Realm

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2013-05-16

Its cool Thrush, I know what denial looks like lol. Also, a lot of the problems with campouts is that its mostly the game against the host NPCs. If there were more campouts where there were no NPCs, there would be more fighting, because the only guys to fight would be each other.

You would pretty much just have about 3 NPCs that were there to get people to either get things, do them favors to gain trust, etc. This would allow for more rp and less of people just trying to grind out the campout to win a prize.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-05-16

I'm not complaining that Northern Kingdoms is too big, I don't even care, but if you think with Darkon's waining campout attendence (participants) a country of 30 suddenly arising doesnt change the game dynamic... well then I'm not sure how to continue with a discussion. New Mordom sometimes field more than 15 at campouts, sometimes. Elidor very sometimes fields more than 10 at campouts... I think Ched Nasad might actually be your closest competition. So, how we'd run an every country for themsleves campout right now, presents a tiny problem that would only be solvable by figuring out a point system divisible by check in numbers.

And you guys made a big deal about merging 3 countries, not just absorbing a few members. It is not the same thing. But again, I actually don't care, I just helping point out some thing things so maybe, just maybe we get this campout train back on track.

I tell ya what, Northern Kingdoms certainly has the resources to throw a big * off campout... Just sayin'.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-05-16

Also, shut up Tyriel.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2013-05-16

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:
I tell ya what, Northern Kingdoms certainly has the resources to throw a big * off campout... Just sayin'.

Thrush
berserk

They did, last year, year before?. Called the World's Faire. One of the better ones I've been to.
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

mardux zulammar

Post by mardux zulammar » 2013-05-19

We have actually throw 3 big ass campouts, costing thousands of dollars each with months and months of planning for each (the first one I believe had at least a year of planning and working on props/costumes). People still *ed.
~Member of the Northern Kingdoms
~Phoenix Company, Head of Artillery and Ranged
~Squire to Baron Tyriel Firebrand
~ (Ex)Head Spell Marshal
~Relics Marshal 2013-2014

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-05-20

Thousands of dollars? Holy hell, did you have a live band flown in?
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Kobalos

Post by Kobalos » 2013-05-20

mardux zulammar wrote:We have actually throw 3 big ass campouts, costing thousands of dollars each with months and months of planning for each (the first one I believe had at least a year of planning and working on props/costumes). People still *ed.

I think there's a lesson in that, too. If you put something smaller together, people inevitably bitch, but you don't mind so much. When you prepare a huge event (like the World's Fair), and put in so much effort that you're exhausted by the time it rolls around, as well as lots of personal cash & assets, and people inevitably bitch, you get really burnt and don't want to run another one for the next 5-8 years.

Moral of the story: Don't kill yourselves. Just put together something fun every year or two.
--Κοβαλος

Baron Kobalos
Fauzi ibn-al-Rashid al-Halabi, KR, OR, CB
Steward of House Dubh
Director, First Royal Darkon Trust
Head NC Armor Marshal 2014

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-05-21

Yep running campouts really stressed me out so I am sticking with day events for now :)
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Aethilgar » 2013-05-21

Kobalos wrote:Moral of the story: Don't kill yourselves. Just put together something fun every year or two.

Secondary Moral: When others put time and effort into entertaining the rest of Darkon for a weekend; don't * at them. It may be a good event; it may be a bad event... point is that they put in their time, effort, and resources where others did not. Keep criticism constructive.
Baron Aethilgar Sheldwich

Facta non Verba

"Arguing on the forums is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After some time, you realize that you are getting dirty, but the pig is actually enjoying it."

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-05-21

Sir Aethilgar wrote:Keep criticism constructive.

This is important on multiple levels. If you don't want to repeat what you are bitching about, people would be more likely to listen to you if you aren't being a jackass about it.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild