noobie questions

Any topic that does not fit into one of the other forums.
Tandaas

noobie questions

Post by Tandaas » 2013-07-19

I am curious about participating an event at some point, i think i'd really enjoy it but i have no idea where to start, not just on getting clothes, but do i need to set something up to meet someone or just show up to an event? Also how long does an event usually run. any costs? besides the the daily $2 i think it was

random note: a little while ago i started messing around with makin chainmail so this would also be a motivation to try to actually finish a piece lol

i appreciate any and all feedback, thank you :)

mardux zulammar

Re: noobie questions

Post by mardux zulammar » 2013-07-19

Welcome. Glad you're thinking about coming out.

Clothes: Easiest way would be to stop by a Walmart and pick up a pair of plain sweatpants or PJ pants (without any modern designs, plaid works OK for your first couple events) and a tshirt you can trim the seems off of. You'll look like crap on the field, but its at least passable for a couple events till you get some ideas on real garb. A more time consuming idea would be to hit up some thrifty stores/goodwill and and shop around. You'll probably end up looking better and spending less money.

Your first day: There's no need to meet up with people outside of the game before coming to your first event. If you know people, awesome. They can help show you the ropes. If you don't, feel free to just show up. Check in is $5 now for every event except for Bellum, which is $10. Once you sign your waiver and go through check in you can go mingle with people to make new friends. Most people will be more than willing to help get situated and lend you a sword if you don't have one of your own.

Times: check in starts at noon and runs till 1 PM. Most day events tend to end between 4-5 PM, depending on elders and how many people are still fighting. The overnight events run from 7-8pm on Fridays until Sunday morning, except Bellum which starts on a Thursday and runs till Sunday. There's no extra costs (that Darkon required) other than the $5 for check in.

Armor: Chainmail is awesome. With the recent armor changes its even more awesome. Just remember that as a new player you wont be able to wear it when you first start.
~Member of the Northern Kingdoms
~Phoenix Company, Head of Artillery and Ranged
~Squire to Baron Tyriel Firebrand
~ (Ex)Head Spell Marshal
~Relics Marshal 2013-2014

Tandaas

Re: noobie questions

Post by Tandaas » 2013-07-19

Thank you for your reply! Im definately guna check out some thrift shops there are so many in my area.

Yea i dont know anyone yet but received a message from someone on here and might possibly make plans to get together with them for a workshop on some gear :)

I look forward to eventually seeing you all out there :)