Buff coats & such

A place for club members to ask the Executive Board and Noble Council questions. Questions will not be answered immediately but will be considered at the following meeting of the body being asked. If you have a sensitive question, please e-mail your question to the President (for the EB) or Vice President (for the Noble Council)
mtaylor

Buff coats & such

Post by mtaylor » 2014-04-08

Been thinking about costuming for the longer term and went looking for guidance in the current rules. I find this statement:

Costuming for Darkon should be inspired by pre-industrial historical clothing or fantasy genre clothing.

I am curious what the generally accepted understanding specifically within Darkon is for "pre-industrial" beyond the blindingly obvious case of mass produced modern clothing. The generally accepted start of the Industrial Revolution is mid to late 18th century. That would cover well up to the early to mid enlightenment in Europe, or the colonial period in the new world. Japan and the far east would arguably be up to 100 years later.

I am wondering how well received a 16th or 17th century buff coat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buff_coat or some variation on that theme would be?

I am at present limited to leather and am not a big fan of strapping bits of armor individually but would like to get up to AC2.

This is not exactly urgent but I don't want to spend a chunk of change on one or more hides only to make armor that will raise the ire of a costume marshall so I thought it best to ask.

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Re: Buff coats & such

Post by Inox » 2014-04-10

You aren't going to get to AC 2 without studding, adding rings, splints, or doing something like scales or brig on top with 10 oz. or greater leather.

A 10+ oz. jacket is not feasible on its own.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON