ruling on cure light wounds

A place for club members to ask the Executive Board and Noble Council questions. Questions will not be answered immediately but will be considered at the following meeting of the body being asked. If you have a sensitive question, please e-mail your question to the President (for the EB) or Vice President (for the Noble Council)
Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

ruling on cure light wounds

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2012-04-17

Question for the President :

In cases where a class has a "spell" or "ability" that only requires meditation to function can that "ability" or "spell" be used when both arms are wounded because there is no somantic components needed to make the "ability" or "spell" function.

Specifically can a cavileer or a monk cure light wounds when they have a wound in each arm threw meditation?
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Re: ruling on cure light wounds

Post by fingers630 » 2012-04-17

Well I would say that the wording would dictate. if it said "spell", then no you could not do it, as you cannot cast a spell with 2 wounded arms. If it said "ability" or something else, I think it would be perfectly fine.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm

"Question for the President :"
:)

all hail president fingers :)
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm

It used to be it was allowed that is why need a presidentual ruling I am fine either way but to make sure those that now do it do not continue to do it it needs a public answer by the Pres - I think specifically the wording has changed in the many revisions we have had in the rule book specifically any spell that requires a unwounded hand to cast because of somantic requirements. The somantic part used to be written in the spell. The heal spell for cavileers used to be a devine ability granted by praying silently for 1 minute requireing no movement at all ergo meditation. And in cases you were going to touch someone else to cast on them any part of your body could be used to make the "touch". Those were the days when casters would be opening thier books with thier legs face and noses to access the words you need to say aloud - because there was no somantic component needed. Currently there are only like 4 things that require meditation:

cavileer purify food and drink
cavileer cure light wounds
monk cure light
monk armoring abilitities

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-04-17

I'm curious about this as well. I have been cursed and healed myself with cure serious wounds before. I rolled around until my spellbook fell out of my pouch, then opened it with my nose, read the spell and got up to fight again. I thought that was cool, if its not then I have been rping wrong lol.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

President

Post by President » 2012-04-17

Sir Tyriel Firebrand wrote:I'm curious about this as well. I have been cursed and healed myself with cure serious wounds before. I rolled around until my spellbook fell out of my pouch, then opened it with my nose, read the spell and got up to fight again. I thought that was cool, if its not then I have been rping wrong lol.

This is explicitly not permitted per the rules - Page 143 "Spell casters may not cast a spell if they are mortally wounded or have a light wound on both arms."

Lord Cailen Sendor wrote:Question for the President :

In cases where a class has a "spell" or "ability" that only requires meditation to function can that "ability" or "spell" be used when both arms are wounded because there is no somantic components needed to make the "ability" or "spell" function.

Specifically can a cavileer or a monk cure light wounds when they have a wound in each arm threw meditation?

I think the answer is pretty clear and does not require any ruling. Cavaliers cast spells while monks have an innate ability.

Under Monk, the ability to cure themselves is a skill, but for cavelier it is clearly placed under spells. However, in the spell description it states "1 min. meditation" which is the exact same requirement for monks. Another differance is that the monk can only do it on themselves, while a Cavelier is able to cast it on others.

At 4th rank, a Monk gains the ability to ‘Cure Light Wounds’ on himself only. To perform this skill, the
129Monk must meditate for 60 seconds without interruption. During meditation, the Monk is not permitted to move or speak. Once completed, the Monk has fully healed one light wound anywhere on his body. This skill also restores any damage taken to the Monk’s leather armor skin from the Leather Skin skill.

Also at 1st rank, all Cavaliers may also cast the 'Cure Light Wounds' spell, and the adventure-only spells ‘Cure Disease’ and ‘Light.’

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm

Thank you - I will stop doing it - good to know as it never was a issue before and like I said the wording has changed threw the years. If I am not mistaken it used to be Paladin cure light on self like the monk ability in all ways then as paladin they allowed you to cast it on others finally then as cavileer they started calling it a spell. It has always been mediation only to "cast" with no somantic gestures.