Minimum Coverage Standards

A place for club members to ask the Executive Board and Noble Council questions. Questions will not be answered immediately but will be considered at the following meeting of the body being asked. If you have a sensitive question, please e-mail your question to the President (for the EB) or Vice President (for the Noble Council)
shroom2021
Darkonian

Minimum Coverage Standards

Post by shroom2021 » 2012-04-29

Because it was an issue for my wife last year I would like to get a concensus as to the minimum garb standards (as in how little one may wear)

If a person is wearing what is effectively a swim suit (albeit a medieval looking swim suit that meets all costume requirements), considering that it is both legal and not in poor taste at a public pool with children present, would there be an issue with someone wearing this to a Darkon event.

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Re: Minimum Garb Standards

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-04-29

Taste is subjective and is not part of the equation, there is plenty of instances where what someone is wearing or not wearing is distasteful to everyone around them. Example - No one wants to see me without a shirt.

So if it meets our requirements in all regards but is just skimpy, so long as it is legal in the state we are in I can't imagine why it would be an issue.

However, the Costume Marshals are the ones that have to make the call in regards to the rules. If you REALLY want to know how it will be received you can e-mail a photo to the President at president@darkon.org.

John
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

jayjay
Darkonian

Post by jayjay » 2012-04-30

since the wording in the rule book can be somewhat up to interpretation, would it be possible to get people into the min garb standards and get some photos? after all, pictures are worth lots of words n'at.
jayjay
No Quarter!

Ogre Solaris
Darkonian

Post by Ogre Solaris » 2012-04-30

Garb is not all subjective, there are some hard and fast rules (no logos, certain colors for druids, etc.). We do have to make judgement calls on what is or isn't modern, what needs covered up, and what is fantasy versus what is just plain modern garb. I personally have zero tolerance for people's whining and explaining away laziness as "that's what my character would wear" or whatever, but so far this year I haven't had to deal with that...yet.

I am ok with pictures of what is minimum. I may be able to put together a few, I would also like to get some at events of minimum and better than minimum garb, I can put them on the wiki if no one objects to it.

Speaking of pictures of garb, are there any pictures of the offending costume? Any idea what was "wrong" with it aside from being skimpy? I can go shirtless if I wanted to, and that's probably more skimpy than I ever should be, but it's perfectly legal to do so.

I ask because
1. I'm a costume marshal. I would like to see what we're supposed to be approving or denying first.
2. I'm a decent tailor and can help fix anything that is needed.

You say swimsuit. If it's just a bikini, then I can't say I would pass it myself. As far as I know, there is no medieval bikini, not even a chainmail one. People tended to wear clothes back then, not minimal coverage garments. Not everything we wear is period of course (under armour for example) but it's generally covered with actual garb. If she was wearing something with a bare midriff, I could see it being ok, but much less and you're firmly into modern territory which is not ok.

Here is what, in my opinion, could easily be done to a bikini like garment. The left is the base in black, the right in red is possible add-ons that could make it more toward legal garb, kind of a Xena warrior princess look.

- Ogre Solaris, cleric of Kindred. CB
Kindred Brewmaster
Worshipper of Helios, God of the Sun
http://www.darkon.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ogre_Solaris

ylinett
Darkonian

Post by ylinett » 2012-04-30

Boris Vallejo = Pass.
People of Walmart = Fail.

Actually make that FAIL.
Thane of the Northern Kingdoms
Warrior and Brehon of Albion
Lord of the Realm and Knight of Tuesday
OG OR OS OD CC CB CS

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-04-30

People tended to wear clothes back then, not minimal coverage garments.

Im sorry, what time period did we have Wizards throwing fireballs again? Sorry but Darkon is not SCA. We are a fantasy fighting game, and while we may share some similarities with historical periods of time, until you convince me Undead roamed the lands and missile weapons bounced off of "Warrior Mages", I have no issue with someone wearing a fantasy themed costume out to it.

If your ass isnt hanging out and your "naughty bits" are covered, you should be fine. hell we had girls that used to fight with electrical taped nipples, and the world didnt end.

And let us not forget dreaming squirrel and the assless chaps..../respect.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2012-04-30

fingers630 wrote:
the assless chaps..../respect.

As opposed to? Assed chaps? Aren't those just pants? The saying assless chaps really chaps my ass. *smirk*

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-04-30

Ogre Solaris wrote:You say swimsuit. If it's just a bikini, then I can't say I would pass it myself. As far as I know, there is no medieval bikini, not even a chainmail one. [/img]

Hey man, Princess Leia wore a melal bikini and that was "a long time ago".
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-04-30

We are not a reenactment group. I am sure a Tuchux female would be permitted to check in.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

President

Post by President » 2012-04-30

If you have a question about garb and its appropriateness for Darkon send a photo to the EB, just make sure it is legal in the state we are playing and safe for work.

jayjay
Darkonian

Post by jayjay » 2012-04-30

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:
Ogre Solaris wrote:You say swimsuit. If it's just a bikini, then I can't say I would pass it myself. As far as I know, there is no medieval bikini, not even a chainmail one.

Hey man, Princess Leia wore a melal bikini and that was "a long time ago".[/quote]

actually, there have been remains of a neolitich woman wearing what was basically a bikini. i heard it on npr a few years ago. they basically said that raquel welch's costume in one million bc was historically accurate.

jayjay
No Quarter!

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2012-04-30

and the above picture is fine ... but spandex or swim suit material is meant for swimming ... going swimming wear it but for Darkon make it cotton - silk - wool - linen and it would be fine Use common sense please as that would stop most of the suff from coming to check in that OBVIOUSLY should not be brought out to try and get passed

Going on the feild wearing a baywatch swim suit will not pass check in 99.9% of the time and the other .01 % would be if we had different marshals then we do now. Luckly those people did not get approved to do check in as costume marshals and you know who you are :)
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

President

Post by President » 2012-05-01

Image[/quote]

I approve this message.

Sir Gwydion
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Gwydion » 2012-05-01

+1
Sir Gwydion, Baron of Gladesedge
Sometime mistaken for Avlis, Ranger of the Woods of Elidor (also of Gladesedge)

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-05-01

I have never allowed play to anyone in less than " appropriate athletic minimal coverage". The president has ruled in favor of skimpier before, and I guess it looks like this one will also.

I also would never allow "tape only" coverage. Seriously.

This is my idea of "athletic appropriate minimum"
female

Male

If the game feels they need less modest clothing at elementary/middleschools to have fun, let me know and I will adjust my scales accordingly. Not sure if that's the image our game should be portraying, but that's not my call to make (post presidential override).

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-05-01

Lord Valfryn wrote:I have never allowed play to anyone in less than " appropriate athletic minimal coverage". The president has ruled in favor of skimpier before, and I guess it looks like this one will also.

I also would never allow "tape only" coverage. Seriously.

This is my idea of "athletic appropriate minimum"
female

Male

If the game feels they need less modest clothing at elementary/middleschools to have fun, let me know and I will adjust my scales accordingly. Not sure if that's the image our game should be portraying, but that's not my call to make (post presidential override).

Tape is not costume.

As I said - if it is legal in the state and meets our requirements then it is legal. Like it or not a fur bikini meets our requirements AND is legal in MD.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Sir Gwydion
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Gwydion » 2012-05-01

Let's just hope that the next time Halcon or Pain dress up to imitate a woman, they don't go in this direction.
Sir Gwydion, Baron of Gladesedge
Sometime mistaken for Avlis, Ranger of the Woods of Elidor (also of Gladesedge)

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2012-05-01

Also, this should be entitled: minimum coverage standards, as garb standards is a seperate topic.

Xunyl
Darkonian

Post by Xunyl » 2012-05-04

This is quite the two-way street that was just opened up...In which case I wonder if any of those male minimal coverage garments come in black and red?
Chosen Blood soldier.

We are beyond the notions of; good, evil, light or darkness.
There is only order, pure and absolute.

For The Order.
http://www.wix.com/chosenblood/dwc