With the Crown War approaching please ask your questions

A place for club members to ask the Executive Board and Noble Council questions. Questions will not be answered immediately but will be considered at the following meeting of the body being asked. If you have a sensitive question, please e-mail your question to the President (for the EB) or Vice President (for the Noble Council)
Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Re: With the Crown War approaching please ask your questions

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-10-17

Outside the gates of Tarimstadt all the Great Men and Women of the realm
gathered to either defend the bearer of the crown or wrest it from his control.
With them they bring armies, and baggage trains from which to feed, clothe and
arm those armies. Within those baggage trains are assassins, thieves and other
murderous villains who sneak from group to group to spy and murder and deceive.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

President

Post by President » 2012-10-18

The Noble Council feels that the Crown War should be seperate from the rest of the event day and have requested that I make it clear that anything that occurs during the day will not impact the Crown War.

While I disagree with this and feel that the Crown War is the event and not just something that occurs at the event (like a land action) and that assassinations,kidnappings and the like should be part of the 'festivities' until we can figure out as a club when people are indisputably in-character, the events that occur on the sidelines and in other activities of the day shall not impact the Crown War.

I want the club to consider what the Crown War could be, and help it evolve into an EVENT instead of an action.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-10-18

As for nobles being assassinated - aren't all of your characters a noble by the rules? If you are assassinated, then you simply play a different noble character. This means you can still field as a noble, just as a different class than you signed in as.

True but if Prince Cailen were assassinated, and Pat were playing Pinkie the Assassin, I would not be marching with him against HRM.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-10-18

fingers630 wrote:
As for nobles being assassinated - aren't all of your characters a noble by the rules? If you are assassinated, then you simply play a different noble character. This means you can still field as a noble, just as a different class than you signed in as.

True but if Prince Cailen were assassinated, and Pat were playing Pinkie the Assassin, I would not be marching with him against HRM.

You could march with Alfred or Andrick and simply announce for Cailen when the battle is over.

I imagined it being so that the siege battle took place at a different time (obviously you need to regroup to siege), so assassinations would not count for that one.

It seems The President has a different idea (though not his own from the tone of his post) and has said they don't count at all.

Prince Andrick
Knight of the Realm

Post by Prince Andrick » 2012-10-18

And if this Crown War happened to fall on a normal battle day? Would we even be having this discussion?

I happen to agree with John's ruling. Let's get one Crown War under our belts, see how it goes using standard war rules and take it from there. Nothing says we can't change things for the next one, but let's try ONE first before we change things.
Prince Andrick VanDahl KR, OSW, OR, OD, CM, CC
High Priest of Thor
Elidorian Minister of War
Field Marshal
President 2013

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Aethilgar » 2012-10-18

Prince Andrick wrote:And if this Crown War happened to fall on a normal battle day? Would we even be having this discussion?

I happen to agree with John's ruling. Let's get one Crown War under our belts, see how it goes using standard war rules and take it from there. Nothing says we can't change things for the next one, but let's try ONE first before we change things.

Exactly my point.
Baron Aethilgar Sheldwich

Facta non Verba

"Arguing on the forums is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After some time, you realize that you are getting dirty, but the pig is actually enjoying it."

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-10-18

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:
fingers630 wrote:

You could march with Alfred or Andrick and simply announce for Cailen when the battle is over.

I imagined it being so that the siege battle took place at a different time (obviously you need to regroup to siege), so assassinations would not count for that one.

It seems The President has a different idea (though not his own from the tone of his post) and has said they don't count at all.

My point is that I do not believe ELIDOR would be marching in support of anyone othe than Prince Cailen against HRM.

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-10-18

fingers630 wrote:My point is that I do not believe ELIDOR would be marching in support of anyone othe than Prince Cailen against HRM.

I'm not seeing your point. You can march with a knight that is loyal to him and whose plan is to announce for him. Why would you have to march with him?

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-10-18

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:
fingers630 wrote:My point is that I do not believe ELIDOR would be marching in support of anyone othe than Prince Cailen against HRM.

I'm not seeing your point. You can march with a knight that is loyal to him and whose plan is to announce for him. Why would you have to march with him?

That KNIGHT who wishes to be High King has to be on the field. If Prince Cailen does not go onto the field, he can't be king.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

HRH Malkin
Knight of the Realm

Post by HRH Malkin » 2012-10-22

Just to clarify... (and this has about a .00000000001 % chance of happening but...)

Let's say Cailen steps on the field, Eldior's army wins... but in the process Cailen dies...AAAND... all of ther 25 rez-ing clerics also bite it in the battle. Does he have to be alive to be King? If the answer is no... he can still be King just so long as he originally stepped on the field... fine...

But if the answer is yes... he has to be alive to be declared King... Then Eldior's team could choose from their other Nobles... or choose no one...right/

What about Slindar? Let's say his Army wins and Kills everyone else, and they can't rez him cuz no rez0ing clerics... Then what?

I guess in that situation his Army could choose a new king from the Noblity still standing, or choose no one and he'd remain King by default...No?

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-10-22

FYI, John is gone for the next several days, so I'm not sure how fast any questions will be answered.

But I do know that if the second thing happened and say somebody picked you, you could simply defer to Slindar for the siege battle portion and then that would be it.

...but I have no idea if they have to be alive at the end. It seems from everything that has been said in the past and the way John explained it to me that the person doesn't have to be alive at the end. He's often said "If you are the last person alive" in reference to things or "The last person alive says the name of the person they want to be King".

Hopefully you'll get a real answer ASAP though.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-10-22

"The last person alive says the name of the person they want to be King".

And this is how Gutzmangal became King of Darkon....

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

fingers630 wrote:
"The last person alive says the name of the person they want to be King".

And this is how Gutzmangal became King of Darkon....

I know it has to be a Knight, though. So there is that. :)

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2012-10-22

here is how it was explained to me

the 1st fight either ends the war (king wins) or a single player who is a knight of darkon whom all people left alive support (he or she does not have to be alive) becomes the official challenger

then if there is a official challenger everyone reforms (which they then if they do not like the challenger who won can side with the king) (if any other player besides Prince Cailen becomes "challenger" then it is my understanding that Elidor and Myself will side with the king against the new challenger supporting the king)

during the second battle only 1 of two options will occur

the king wins and war is over
or the challenger wins and they become king at the next event (which I have offered so as to allow the current court to have one last meeting publically and so any title advancements which the new king wishes to make will have the largest audience ever)

but only the king or the challenger can be made king if any other knight in the second fight names himself or herself it will default to the sitting king and again the war will be over and the current king will stay king

to actually take the crown you will have to win the feild in the 1st fight then win it again in the second seige ... only in that manner will there be any new king --- if you only win the second fight but fail to win the first fight ... the king stays the king
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2012-10-22

Yeah pretty much it will be Cailen or Slindar, as if the challenger side wins and Cailen is not the chosen one, all of Elidor will switch sides (or sit out if the King doesn't wish our aid)

So NEXT year, that is how Gutz will become King.... (gutz hurry up and petition)

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

From the rulebook's crown war section:

When “Lay-On” is called, any and all armies may fight as they choose, as well as make and break alliances as they choose, until there is one obvious knight controlling the field. In order to gain or retain the High King title, knights vying for this position must be present and on the field when lay on is called, however they need not be alive at the end of the battle to emerge victorious (it is assumed, they have resurrecting clerics somewhere)

So no, they do not need to be alive.
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!