Things to Do...

Discussions related to the topic of having Darkon chapters or an over-all Darkon Alliance of clubs all using the same rules or similar enough rules to allow for inter-club events, and character reciprocity.
Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Things to Do...

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-02-04

How should we and in what order should we do these things.

The first question is does Darkon Wargaming Club, Inc. wish to allow other clubs to use our rules and associate with us. It's a simple enough question but raises others pretty quickly as Ash pointed out in another thread. Since the Senate rejected ANY concept for chapters years ago at what point in these discussions do we go to the Senate??

I also want to give a timeline of the Chapter discussions.

2002 - John Machate (me) brought the idea up, created a contract for Chapters and introduced it to the Senate. The Senate PASSED the proposal to allow chapters but the EB vetoed it and the Senate never took it up again. Enough work was done to affirm that the rulebook would be 'open source' allowing anyone who wished to use it to do so but without using the name Darkon.

2007 (about) - Chapters came up again, this time the Senate rejected the proposal outright and re-affirmed the free use of the rules so long as the club using them did not use the name Darkon.

2012 - I mention the idea of having associated groups (as opposed to chapters) and others in the dicussion turn it into something more. Leading to today.

During this entire time there have been people working with some of those groups that have adopted our rules to help them grow. Some of the groups still exist and most do not, some are still very close to our system and others have gone a different route.

IMHO this discussion is accidental as it was not my intent to bring up chapters again, but it seems in the past 5 years the population has changed enough that it may be a viable idea provided everyone understand what it means to Darkon Wargaming Club, Inc.

Some of my next few posts will be suggestions for how all this can work...we will go from there.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Re: Things to Do...

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-02-07

So..any suggestions on the process here??
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-02-07

I think we are trying to think of a way to do it in another thread, we have to figure out what we want to do before we take it to senate anyway. Am I not understanding something?
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Sir Tyriel Firebrand wrote:I think we are trying to think of a way to do it in another thread, we have to figure out what we want to do before we take it to senate anyway. Am I not understanding something?

How much do you want to do before asking Senate if we can even begin discussing it?? When the idea has been shot down twice in 12 years it is possible it will get shot down again and why would we do this work only to learn that the membership hates it.

So we need to figure out WHAT to ask the Senate and what to provide them so they can make an educated decision.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-02-07

Oh ok. I mean, I think that what we are talking about now is what we need to do to even make this a thing. If we get our ducks in a row with how we plan to do things, we could take it to senate showing our plans and how it will be done, how it will affect us, etc. The things being discussed in the other threads are really good stuff and I think that we need to flesh this out before we take it to senate, what do you think?
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Sir Tyriel Firebrand wrote:Oh ok. I mean, I think that what we are talking about now is what we need to do to even make this a thing. If we get our ducks in a row with how we plan to do things, we could take it to senate showing our plans and how it will be done, how it will affect us, etc. The things being discussed in the other threads are really good stuff and I think that we need to flesh this out before we take it to senate, what do you think?

I would LOOVE to have a full game plan in place to present to senate, from identifying rules to a contract.

I am just gun shy having done all of this before.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-02-08

I have invited the players of ORCS in VA, Dominion Wargaming Club in Philadelphia, PA and The Warlord Combat Group in Missoula, Montana to come to our forums to get involved in these conversations.

Warlord and Dominion are unique because these groups use our rules and in the case of Warlord they update their rules as ours change. They are serious about being part of a larger organization and willing to travel to joint events.

We really should be encouraging this....get with your country, start talking about it. Let's do what needs to be done to help these groups grow.

Warlord has a Facebook page with pics. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Warlord/ ... 09?sk=wall

John
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Sir Gwydion
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Gwydion » 2012-05-03

Was a reason given for the EB Veto in 2002?
Sir Gwydion, Baron of Gladesedge
Sometime mistaken for Avlis, Ranger of the Woods of Elidor (also of Gladesedge)

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-05-03

Sir Gwydion wrote:Was a reason given for the EB Veto in 2002?

I see no reason to re-hash something from 10 years ago or even 5 years ago. The club has changed enough to at least consider it and give the idea a chance.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Sir Gwydion
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Gwydion » 2012-05-03

I agree that the times have changed. I was just hoping to know if there was a specific reason that the concept was rejected or if there was specific language that was not acceptable or what.

It would help with proposing a better solution in the future.

For example, the one veto I can remember off the top of my head when I was on the EB had to do with poisons, and it was rejected for the language issues indicating that an ocean could be poisoned with a single dose. This constructive criticism could have led to a better resubmittal of the proposal.
Sir Gwydion, Baron of Gladesedge
Sometime mistaken for Avlis, Ranger of the Woods of Elidor (also of Gladesedge)

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-05-03

Sir Gwydion wrote:I agree that the times have changed. I was just hoping to know if there was a specific reason that the concept was rejected or if there was specific language that was not acceptable or what.

It would help with proposing a better solution in the future.

For example, the one veto I can remember off the top of my head when I was on the EB had to do with poisons, and it was rejected for the language issues indicating that an ocean could be poisoned with a single dose. This constructive criticism could have led to a better resubmittal of the proposal.

The folks on the committee working on this were involved in the 2002 and 2006 attempts so it is covered.
Master Thief of Darkon

____