Rule Changes

Discussions related to the topic of having Darkon chapters or an over-all Darkon Alliance of clubs all using the same rules or similar enough rules to allow for inter-club events, and character reciprocity.
Post Reply
User avatar
Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm
Posts: 718
Joined: 2012-01-06
Location: Tarimstadt

Rule Changes

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-02-06

It is not really something to discuss but wanted to get it down on 'paper'.

There is a way to allow alliance members to have a say in rules.

1) Define what size a group has to be to be involved in the process (we will call them Realms)
2) Each Realm handles proposals in the same way.
3) Proposals that pass each Realm are sent to all other Realms to be voted upon.
4) Proposals that pass 2/3 of all realms go into the rules of all chapters on January 1 after the proposal passes.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon


____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

User avatar
Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm
Posts: 369
Joined: 2012-01-26

Re: Rule Changes

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-02-06

I think that this is a cool way to do it. I could be overlooking a lot of things though.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

User avatar
Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm
Posts: 718
Joined: 2012-01-06
Location: Tarimstadt

Re: Rule Changes

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-02-08

Sir Tyriel Firebrand wrote:I think that this is a cool way to do it. I could be overlooking a lot of things though.


Assuming we convince the Senate to allow other groups to be chapters, that we define a core rules the BIGGEST hurdle will be how to handle rule changes. I know without a doubt we have people in the club who would not desire in any way for other groups to impact us here in Baltimore.

I am not saying we should allow groups a say either, I am just giving it as an option. The SCA, Amtgard, Dagirhir and Belegarth all have this covered in different ways and we just have to determine how we want to do it and then enforce it with the understanding it will impact those interested in becoming part of our system one way or another.

Personally - I am ok giving groups that have been in existence and using our rules for a number a years a say in the making and changing of rules of play. I am also ok with limiting rule changes to periods once every year if not once every two years.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon


____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

User avatar
Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm
Posts: 369
Joined: 2012-01-26

Re: Rule Changes

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-02-08

I like the idea of only changing rules once a year. It would certainly help us here at home, because half of the game doesn't know what rules have changed and when. I think it would help people realize whats currently in the rulebook. The only thing that I am worried about with that, is changed to specs, and safety.

These type of changes I think are a little more important, and should have a little more speed when it comes to being a rule. Also, one thing that worries me is how we let other chapters change ours rules as far as size. If a chapter has about 40-60 people, the rules they propose might not work for our group of 100-180. Any ideas of how we would deal with that?
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

User avatar
Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm
Posts: 718
Joined: 2012-01-06
Location: Tarimstadt

Re: Rule Changes

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-02-08

Sir Tyriel Firebrand wrote:I like the idea of only changing rules once a year. It would certainly help us here at home, because half of the game doesn't know what rules have changed and when. I think it would help people realize whats currently in the rulebook. The only thing that I am worried about with that, is changed to specs, and safety.

These type of changes I think are a little more important, and should have a little more speed when it comes to being a rule. Also, one thing that worries me is how we let other chapters change ours rules as far as size. If a chapter has about 40-60 people, the rules they propose might not work for our group of 100-180. Any ideas of how we would deal with that?


The size issue is conjectural and has no basis in fact, I have seen it used in other places.

We have had the same system in place since 1991 with minor changes. The only significant changes in classes that effect combat have been Iron Skin, Steel Skin and Bark Skin and I do not see them impacting small groups anymore than having a couple guys in plate.

Most of the people in this conversation have seen Darkon at 100+ players since they started so I understand how size may be perceived as an issue, but I played in a game with only 40 people and the spells that cause the most impact to a fight existed back then just as they do now.

So, IMHO there is nothing to deal with in terms of group size effecting what rules would do what...
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon


____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

Ash_Sarum
Darkonian
Posts: 15
Joined: 2012-01-31

Re: Rule Changes

Post by Ash_Sarum » 2012-02-10

If you allow realms to vote on core rule changes, you may want to consider limiting the number of proposals for core rule changes that a realm can pass in a year. Just to prevent something annoying like having 5+ realms and each of them passes a bunch of rule changes that then have to be voted on at every other realm. It may not be an issue but something to think about as you look at how things scale.

Do you have any data on the number of rule change proposals that occur each year and how many actually pass?

User avatar
Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm
Posts: 718
Joined: 2012-01-06
Location: Tarimstadt

Re: Rule Changes

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-02-13

Ash_Sarum wrote:If you allow realms to vote on core rule changes, you may want to consider limiting the number of proposals for core rule changes that a realm can pass in a year. Just to prevent something annoying like having 5+ realms and each of them passes a bunch of rule changes that then have to be voted on at every other realm. It may not be an issue but something to think about as you look at how things scale.

Do you have any data on the number of rule change proposals that occur each year and how many actually pass?


There are lots of proposals that get posted on the forums, some of them go to Senate and from there a few go to EB. For the most part I think EB has approved all of the ones they have received. Exact number are impossible due to poor record keeping.

I would say that Senate probably makes 5-10 changes every 6 months right now.

John
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon


____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests