Groups related to Darkon

Discussions related to the topic of having Darkon chapters or an over-all Darkon Alliance of clubs all using the same rules or similar enough rules to allow for inter-club events, and character reciprocity.
Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Groups related to Darkon

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-02-24

Using our rules as written:

Dominion Wargaming Club - Philadelphia, PA
Warlord Combat Group - Missoula, MT
Silverdane Wargaming Club - Central VA (will find out where)

Using a modified version of our rules:
ORCS - Hampton, VA

Groups spun off from Darkon using highly varied rules:
Dargarth - Seattle, WA
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

Garwa Mayharr

Re: Groups related to Darkon

Post by Garwa Mayharr » 2012-02-24

Silverdain is based out of the the Shenandoah Valley.
Or
Rockingham Country near James Madison University.

AndorOfDargarth

Post by AndorOfDargarth » 2012-02-24

Archaea UW, Seattle
https://www.facebook.com/groups/60830042405/

Is it also worth mentioning other systems that don't have groups using them, currently? Like Midgard?

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-02-24

AndorOfDargarth wrote:Archaea UW, Seattle
https://www.facebook.com/groups/60830042405/

Is it also worth mentioning other systems that don't have groups using them, currently? Like Midgard?

I do not think so. I would not have listed Dargarth except I know you actually use some of our rules. Archaea does not in anyway.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

AndorOfDargarth

Post by AndorOfDargarth » 2012-02-24

Well, thanks for including Dargarth then! I think we might do more than use a few rules - Dargarth's a fork of the Darkon rulebook, with a lot of refactoring and some simplifications. To Belegrim, we seem pretty much identical. There are tweaks - no Darkonian would rewrite the rulebook and not fix at least a few loopholes, or rewrite a couple sections.

I get that we haven't agreed to core rules, and Dargarth doesn't have real need to transfer title or levels (since it's a pragmatic impossibility to visit between both coasts regularly). Like all Darkon chapters that have existed in the past, we tinker with the rules. It's totally natural. Decades in you're still tinkering. I think this is a really good thing.

The reason I really appreciate you listing this third-tier association, though, is that I think there's a lot of information we can share:

1. Let's say, theoretically, I developed a way to make our rules easier for Bel/Dag fighters to understand. Some enterprising Elidorian could translate that into a Darkon proposal and it would be a good enough idea to implement at Darkon. The more Darkon-like groups there are creating new ideas, the better for each of them.

2. Let's say I had already held some of my favorite Darkon event encounters/NPCs/tropes at Dargarth. That's useful! Maybe you guys can't run Dragonhood's Dragonlance event again, but I can an event similar to it someday, at no loss to you. I think we need to start storing our better events as 'modules' and I have such a form, a Larp Adventure Template. I think someone should host a repository of these, maybe they'd go well on the Darkon wiki. In short, we can share old ideas too. Including guides for weapons/armor/etc. How many Darkonians have started foamsmithing sites, and then drifted away, their how-to guides lost forever?

3. Better internet presence and support. Neither of our clubs show up for the search 'boffer larp' even though Darkon is exactly probably the biggest boffer larp there is. There had ought to be a page. Our SEO could be better, we could all be linking to each other, it should be incredibly hard to search for larps and not see that there is a thriving community of Darkon-like games.

Anyway - you get the idea. To me, the benefits of collaboration would extend way, way beyond chaptership, even if Darkon chooses not to share the rights to their rulebook. Although I do think that that is an obstacle to having more boffer larps in the US.

Andor

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2012-02-25

I think it does Darkon well to list the main page of all boffer style LARPs in a links page. It's on the list of things to do.
Master Thief of Darkon

____