Land Maps for New Groups

Discussions related to the topic of having Darkon chapters or an over-all Darkon Alliance of clubs all using the same rules or similar enough rules to allow for inter-club events, and character reciprocity.
AndorOfDargarth

Land Maps for New Groups

Post by AndorOfDargarth » 2012-06-28

Two articles written by Baron Arminius, Land Marshal of Dargarth:

http://www.dargarth.org/the-land-map-part-1/ - An overall tutorial on the land map metagame and the land rules and countries.

http://www.dargarth.org/the-land-map-part-2/ - A tutorial on how to use Campaign Cartographer to get a usable map, for would-be Land Marshals.

I am posting these for open review and feedback, but foremost because I am 100% sure that the single most helpful thing we can do to help spread our game is to explain to the internet strangers how our game actually works on a cellular level. The only plausible way to get people to start playing Darkon across the US is to make the structure, content, and rules much more accessible. Darkon has decades of culture and process, none of which are explained by the rulebook.

There's no guide to starting a new Darkon-like club, and despite my pleas the citizens of Darkon haven't made one yet, and I haven't seen activity on this board for months. Why?

President

Re: Land Maps for New Groups

Post by President » 2012-06-28

They are using Facebook

Sir Caetrel
President

Post by Sir Caetrel » 2012-06-28

AndorOfDargarth wrote:Two articles written by Baron Arminius, Land Marshal of Dargarth:

http://www.dargarth.org/the-land-map-part-1/ - An overall tutorial on the land map metagame and the land rules and countries.

http://www.dargarth.org/the-land-map-part-2/ - A tutorial on how to use Campaign Cartographer to get a usable map, for would-be Land Marshals.

I am posting these for open review and feedback, but foremost because I am 100% sure that the single most helpful thing we can do to help spread our game is to explain to the internet strangers how our game actually works on a cellular level. The only plausible way to get people to start playing Darkon across the US is to make the structure, content, and rules much more accessible. Darkon has decades of culture and process, none of which are explained by the rulebook.

There's no guide to starting a new Darkon-like club, and despite my pleas the citizens of Darkon haven't made one yet, and I haven't seen activity on this board for months. Why?

Friend me [Gerard McNeal] on FB and I'll add you to the group. It's slow moving but we are creating docs to establish Darkon Nationakl chapters.
Baron Caetrel Von Garren, KR, OSW, OR, OG, CC, CS
Lord Protector of The Northern Kingdoms
King of Sarum
High Priest of Torm The True, First Born of The Dragyn
Brother of The White Mantle
Knight of The Realm

AndorOfDargarth

Post by AndorOfDargarth » 2012-07-30

That FB group has a lot of work going on, but not much has been posted in over a month. I'm sorry to force the issue again, and tell me to quiet down if I should, but I want to see Darkons all over the place and so let me paste a wall of text I sent to an old acquaintance:

I don't think the approach the club is currently taking is the appropriate one - it takes a certain confluence of events to create a larp, and an even more specific one to create a Darkon-like one, and I think that the chapters system currently envisioned, with contracts and parity, absolutely doesn't allow for that. But I understand that Darkon has some bureaucratic curves and I hope it all comes round to a more open and reasoned approach. I would rather the club's efforts be focused on sharing their rules and content (photos, adventures, monsters, spells, etc) than worrying about some new larp signing a contract (I personally fear that this will never happen!!) But since I haven't been back to Darkon for so long, I feel less entitled to weigh in and really push the point. Which is a shame, because I really, really want to see Darkon grow to the proportions Bel and Dag and Amt have.

Other things I think would help: Simplifying the rulebook to a shorter length, creating a youtube channel with tutorials (how to buy a poison writ, how to cast a spell, a fight in AR0 between two players explained for belegrim, how to do a noobie speech). Our club is invisible and mystifying to the players who should be our target audience, in my opinion. There's no door, you need a grappling hook to get in. And we don't even sell grappling hooks yet. To think that we can write a complicated contract and more people countrywide will start playing Darkon is incorrect, I think.

Belegarth is easy to pick up and start a 'chapter'. Their rules are open source. It's a comprehensible system. They have a board that goes nationwide that talks about how to recruit, how to build weapons, how to run weapons check, how to find a place to fight, what to do with bad players, all that. What's so hard to understand about why they are nationwide? There's no contract. You read the boards, you get hyped up about it all, you go. Belegarth will be around 100 years from now, because no one person owns it all buried in a coffee tin in the backyard. Dagorhir will go away soon, after Dominus stops policing the forums, maybe.

TL;DR Stubborn Dargarth guy wants to create more Darkon-like games by actually demonstrating the game, the organization, and the metagame (The way Bel/Dag does) and allowing reuse of the rulebook, rather than collaboratively writing a contract that hypothetical new groups can sign. LIKE DIS IF U CRY EVERYTIM

President

Post by President » 2012-07-30

Andor,

Darkons rulebook is has an open license and anyone can use them and change them as they see fit so long as they do not use the Darkon trademark. However, any change to the rules makes it different and thus NOT the same game. Like Amtgard the goal for the promoters of chapters is to ensure everyone is playing enough of the same game as to allow reciprocity. Certain aspects are not important but the contract is to ensure those that are remain unchanged from group to group.

Defalcone

Post by Defalcone » 2012-07-31

Part of me agrees with Andor, and apart of me with the contract. I think that in this early stage of infancy contarcts are a nessecary evil. If Darkon higher ups need a contract to soothe their troubled mind, so be it. Thats a sacfifice I and my fellow players are willing to make so long as it it not heavy handed

AndorOfDargarth

Post by AndorOfDargarth » 2012-07-31

President wrote:Darkons rulebook is has an open license and anyone can use them and change them as they see fit so long as they do not use the Darkon trademark.

This is not true! The rulebook is licensed for personal use, not distribution. I'm not a lawyer, but In effect, Darkon allows a club to use and modify their rules for a given club, pending written permission, but NOT to share those rules or modify them or redistribute them. Attribution is required, and the rules are not open. Darkon is currently selfishly myopically hoarding the rules. This is the number one current obstacle to new clubs. Darkon as a club is terrific, but the rulebook is crufty and inaccessible, and I am legally unable to clean it and share it.

The rulebook needs to be made open source.

President

Post by President » 2012-08-01

Andor,

Any GROUP of people can take our rules, change them, use them and hand them out so long as they REMOVE the word Darkon from the rulebook. That is how I interpret the free use statement...

AndorOfDargarth

Post by AndorOfDargarth » 2012-08-10

IANAL (I am not a lawyer), but I see that as a fairly restrictive and not well defined license, which doesn't protect Darkon nor a group like say, Dargarth very well. When people ask me if they can use the Dargarth rules, I am obligated to tell them to ask Darkon for permission, which would extend to anything they create. A better solution would be to apply an existing and proven open source license that allows for sharing.

The President and I have been emailing about this - I think it's really important. The Darkon rulebook is an extremely large pill to swallow in its entirety, but such licensing would let other groups crib what they like and become more Darkonian. It's a different approach than chapters, but I really feel like it's more suitable for the current state of US foamfighting, which is a Bel/Dag/Amt affair by large. If we want to see Dagorhir using land maps and Belegarth hosting adventures at Chaos Wars, I think we ought to really free the 25+ years of creative passion poured into Darkon and let people put it to use as they like.

Andor

President

Post by President » 2012-08-14

What Andor has suggested is in my in-box. I am still reviewing it and will be speaking to the EB that formulated the current license to see if what Andor sent me meets the intent.

Not sure how it will be handled administratively yet.