Service to the Crown

For character narratives and in-character announcements. Moderators will be liberal in the removal of OOC posts and comments. Do not 'god mode' in the forums, if you can't do it on the field you can't do it here.
Forum rules
Moderators will be liberal in the removal of OOC posts and comments. Do not 'god mode' in the forums, if you can't do it on the field you can't do it here.
fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Re: Service to the Crown

Post by fingers630 » 2012-11-21

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:Lucius,

When one pledges to serve a title, and then the person with that title does not justify it, sometimes one finds themselves rethinking one's job description. No dishonor in that. In wanting to protect the crown, we will do it from outside or within. You obviously have a love affair with the current King, so I won't get into it with you, you won't hear me.

Thrush
berserk

A love affair? Well no more so than you have with your brothers in arms. Cailen is mine and I support him as such. If I had not witnessed the tourney fight with my own eyes, and felt strongly that he truly defeated King Slindar, I would not have fielded in support of him in the crown war.

I respect your decision to not support him as a King's Guard, but I still question how you and others do not consider him a True King, when he won the title fair and square, in a system accepted in our Realm to claim the Throne in the first place. If Crown Wars are not a legitimate way to obtain the throne, why do they exist?

Fingers

(btw Malkin GREAT post!)
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2012-11-21

In the interest of full historical disclosure -

During my time as scribe to HRM Keldar, NM reportedly attacked a boat of "hot dog fisherman" owned by Laconia. Two fisherman were killed in the incident. I believe I reported this to HRM Keldar at the time (who may've been a part of the attack - I cannot be sure). I did not see that mentioned in the list of their actions.
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

Prince Andrick
Knight of the Realm

Post by Prince Andrick » 2012-11-21

This tires me. All in this realm know how I felt about this war. I fought because I had no choice, I made enemies of people I have long called friend because of it. I have been called oath breaker, and that is unfortunately true. I tried to find a way out, but in the end I could not allow the Elidorian Army, MY army, to take the field without me.

I say all of this for one reason. Those on both sides who call into question the honor of those who fought, on either side, are the only fools here. I fully understand why Arch Duke Slindar and Prince Malkin feel the way they do about me. I suspect, even though they do not like it, they understand why I stood on the field against them. What matters to me is that we fought with honor. I for one will never impugn the honor of those who stood across the field and fought for what they believed to be right.

Arch Duke Slindar, Prince Malkin and all those who stood with you are to be respected, not ridiculed. Regardless of how they now feel about me, doing so will create nothing for you but another enemy. Myself. This ugliness was settled on the field, leave it their and settle whatever differences remain in the same way: with steel and blood.

Never in conversation with a foolish knave shouldest thou waste a single word. Remember that.
Prince Andrick VanDahl KR, OSW, OR, OD, CM, CC
High Priest of Thor
Elidorian Minister of War
Field Marshal
President 2013

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2012-11-21

fingers630 wrote:I respect your decision to not support him as a King's Guard, but I still question how you and others do not consider him a True King, when he won the title fair and square, in a system accepted in our Realm to claim the Throne in the first place. If Crown Wars are not a legitimate way to obtain the throne, why do they exist?

There are ways to technically accomplish your goal and not be respected for it. I can conclude negotiations with a poisoning, but that doesn't make me the finest debater in the land.

He lost in the ring, and he did not even deign to try a second time...as Archduke Slindar himself did after his initial defeat. The Archduke came back stronger and took the crown by his skill at arms alone.

Rather, King Cailen set about assembling the largest host money could buy, so that they could deliver his crown for him.

Surely his mercenaries can protect him over this next year rather than we, the King's Guard.

Oh, but I misspoke. Eleven months remain.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Slindar Magrashall

Post by Slindar Magrashall » 2012-11-22

As any previous High King will tell you, wearing the Crown means more if it was taken by your own hand. It is really that simple.

Brother Kel, there is nothing more that I could possibly add to Crown Prince Malkin's words. But let me tell you a short story about how TRUE Mordomians respond when there is victory and glory to be had.

Before the Crown War, knowing that we were outmatched in numbers, equipment and magic EOG decided the best approach would be to strike a blow to the heart of the Usurper's leadership. When we met Prince Cailen, Prince Andrick and Earl Alfred in the middle of the field EOG challenged them in a fight to the death before both armies. The terms being the bodies drop where they land, no healing before our sides clashed.

The scenario was PERFECT, three legendary Mordomians against three legendary Elidorians. Ancient allies and friends now shattered by broken oaths. A chance for us to prove our worth as Mordomians on display in front of the entire Realm, everything on the line for GLORY! Had the challenge been accepted by The Usurper I have no doubts EOG would have seized the moment, as true Mordomians always do. EOG's victory would have crushed the leadership of Elidor and lifted the moral of our army ever higher while deflating our enemy's. But alas...

THAT is how Mordomians live in the Realm.
Arch Duke Slindar Magrashall
High Paladin of Kodos
Third High King of Darkon
First Sword of the Realm
True Mordomian Blood

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2012-11-22

Arch Duke, had the terms as you so clearly laid out here been presented so clearly on the day of the War I would have accepted them. But as they were givin on that day it was my understanding that you wished your champions to meet with our champions and that the winner of our match would decide the victor of the war with no additional bloodshed on either side. That to me was unacceptable and I gave you the reasons why clearly at that time. I explained that I hold to my promises and that I promised to let the people of our realm decide who would be thier King going forward win or loose I would except that fate. I explained to accept your challenge as given that day would break my promise to the people to let them decide threw war who they supported. As war is the flowering of chivalry I assumed you would understand. To me as a servant of the people all my life to have the people stand up for what they believed in meant more to me and will stay in my heart forever overshadowing any of the single combats I have ever had of which there is an extensive list.

And that is how I live.

In service,
Cailen
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Prince Andrick
Knight of the Realm

Post by Prince Andrick » 2012-11-22

I understood the challenge you gave as Cailen has explained it. I did not know you intended the war to continue had Cailen accepted the challenge, I understood that would have been the end of it either way.

That said, it was not my choice to make. I would have accepted the challenge either way. I was going to have to face those I called friend on the field, I would have preferred to face you alone. While it will no longer effect the war in any way, I will happily meet the brothers of EOG on the field whenever you wish.
Prince Andrick VanDahl KR, OSW, OR, OD, CM, CC
High Priest of Thor
Elidorian Minister of War
Field Marshal
President 2013

Warboss Gutzmangul
Darkonian

Post by Warboss Gutzmangul » 2012-11-22

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:
Warboss Gutzmangul wrote:If a warboss can't lead 'is WAAAGH!!! ta vict'ry 'gainst a uppity nob, den 'ee ain't got no business bein' warboss. Da same goes fer kingz. Slindar couldn' win wif all 'is boyz, den 'ee ain't got no business bein' king. If you don' like it, do sumfin' about it 'sidez whinin'!

Then how come you are still warboss, ork? You've lost fights before.

I ain't never lost to a ork 'oo wuz tryin' ta be Warboss 'stead o' me.

Calus
Darkonian

Post by Calus » 2012-11-23

If a person can be unworthy of his seat on a throne then it should be no surprise to the royal lackeys why so many men took the field against them in battle.

"Oh but m'lord banana pants is much mightier and greater than Sir cheese head"

Life is so much simpler when a man worth his weight in gold literally has lots of gold! *jingles pockets*
Sic Semper Tyrannis

shroom2021
Darkonian

Post by shroom2021 » 2012-11-23

-Inox- wrote:Perhaps it would have been different had King Cailen taken his crown in the ring, as did the others that preceded him. Perhaps I could have overlooked his devotion to a deity diametrically opposed to mine own.

Sadly, we will never know. Things are such as they shall remain, and we merely respond to them as our honor and piety dictates.

Had King Cailen taken the crown in the ring as many before him had, he would have denied the realm at large the chance to choose who we wanted to lead us. King Cailens choice to declare a crown war and seize the throne through combined strength or arms falls in line perfectly with his idea that every nation is soveriegn. The realm gathered and fought to choose who should take the throne, a privilege not extended to us by those who simply sought it through the ring.
In the end a minority of the realm was overuled by the majority in their objections to King Cailens assumption to the throne.

The only payment I and many of my brothers in arms received or ever asked for was the honor of fighting for the person we believed should be in power instead of cheering from the sidelines.

Warboss Gutzmangul
Darkonian

Post by Warboss Gutzmangul » 2012-11-23

Mork forbid dat a king get's ta be king cuz 'eez good at leadin' gitz.

Post by Karma » 2012-11-23

No Quarter, as usual, seems to have a very narrow idea of things like what a king does. There is more to being a king than just the ability to win a one-on-one fight in a ring, particularly when one of the combatants is given an advantage by those judging the fight. But what can one expect from a "nation" that can't even be depended on to maintain the base qualifications of being considered a country?

There is more to rulership than battle. There is more to battle that single combat. Once again, when faced with this reality, No Quarter cries foul.

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2012-11-23

Your assumptions as to what we think "a King does" are based on flawed logic. I have said that I believe a King should take his crown in the ring. This says nothing whatsoever about what I believe regarding kingly duties are once wearing the crown.

However, while we are taking liberty with inferences and impressions, you will of course excuse me for concluding that your comments reflect your own insecurities with brilliant clarity.

But one can one expect from a "warrior" that can't even be depended on to maintain a base allegiance to a country?
Beast of BABALON

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-11-23

Karma, I would watch ones words. As far as NQ! being a "nation" we are not. We are ourselves, we do not have common folk, farmers and the like. As a warrior culture we hold ourselves to a higher standard of combat, and as such respect what that means when we see it in others. The cries of rigging a tourney fight are laughable at best.

If you want to talk about me and mine, we can settle this, you and I.

I also second what my friend said.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Gor Strayhorn

Post by Gor Strayhorn » 2012-11-23

Sir Tyriel,
Asaheim is also has a warrior culture but we depend on our commonfolk as much as they depend on us. Who feeds your armies? Makes their weapons? Feeds the livestock? Cleans the blood from your tunic? If No Quarter has a way to do all of those things without the use of commonfolk, I would very much like to know, the Dire Wolves of Asaheim love the taste of human.
Gor Strayhorn
Great Wolf - Battle Leader of Asaheim
Warden and Warhound of Asaheim
First Ranger of Asaheim

HRH Malkin
Knight of the Realm

Post by HRH Malkin » 2012-11-23

...and that the winner of our match would decide the victor of the war with no additional bloodshed on either side

What? No additional bloodshed? What are you smoking Cailen? Does that sound even remotely like anything a Mordomian would even consider? No additional bloodshed... please...

Did we ever state (in any terms) that " the winner of our match would decide the victor of the war ". Our challenge as we stated was nothing more than an honor battle of champions. So I have no idea why you would have thought what you say you thought.

The war was happening no matter what. There was NOTHING stopping that... I think you know this. Do you think your forces would have stood down, had we killed the three of you right then...really...seriously...really? Did we ever even say anything about any forces standing down? I don't see how you could have thought that in any way, shape, or form.

Methinks the King rationalizes what he wants to in, order to save face now. It is very easy after the fact to say "Oh... we would have fought you...if only we knew..."

Cailen, the facts are EOG challenged you and your best to an honorable fight (with never a single word uttered about preventing the war) and you flat out refused it. Now you say you didn't understand it as such... even though we presented it no other way. Ridiculous.

I shall dub thee King Cailen "The Confused", if that makes you feel better. It continually saddens me that you can't even fess up to this. Like I said as we left our parley: I thought used to know a man named Cailen... I have no idea who you are.

To the "warboss":
I ain't never lost to a ork 'oo wuz tryin' ta be Warboss 'stead o' me.

Neither did Slindar lose to Cailen when he tried to take the throne from him, Warboss.

Cailen tried to beat Slindar man to man and lost... Our process for exacting the kingship seems very similar to your process for becoming warboss... only after loosing to Slindar did he PAY for all the biggest countries in the realm to help him take that which he could not take himself.

Seems odd you'd accept payment of gold as a substitute for "leadership" and defend someone who lost in single combat, as this appears to be what you pride yourself on.

In any event, I make little attempts to consider the functionality of an orc mind, although I will state you are an amusing one indeed.

shroom2021
Darkonian

-Inox- wrote:But one can one expect from a "warrior" that can't even be depended on to maintain a base allegiance to a country?

Perhaps you should have taken more time to choose your words before allowing them to dribble onto your bib. I have fought with one country since arriving at the shores of Darkon and have never strayed.

-Inox- wrote:However, while we are taking liberty with inferences and impressions, you will of course excuse me for concluding that your comments reflect your own insecurities with brilliant clarity.

This coming from one who cannot accept defeat in a graceful manner?

-Inox- wrote:Your assumptions as to what we think "a King does" are based on flawed logic. I have said that I believe a King should take his crown in the ring. This says nothing whatsoever about what I believe regarding kingly duties are once wearing the crown.

My "assumptions" are simply a repetition of the words King Cailen has already spoken. He has already clearly stated his believe that "Every country is sovereign." As such his declaration of war against the former King allowed every nation to exercise this by choosing sides.

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2012-11-23

shroom2021 wrote:
-Inox- wrote:But one can one expect from a "warrior" that can't even be depended on to maintain a base allegiance to a country?

Perhaps you should have taken more time to choose your words before allowing them to dribble onto your bib. I have fought with one country since arriving at the shores of Darkon and have never strayed.

I do believe he was speaking to Karma with this...
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2012-11-23

HRH Malkin,

I do not know what you told your troops before you took the field to issue the challenge to our side but I am clear of 2 things.

1. Your offer as you stated was to decide the war and phrased to me in a manner that led me to believe you were challenging my "good" side and the possibility of saving of unnecessary deaths. Obviously that didn’t matter to you, but you know it would matter to me that is why it was phrased the manner in which it was. And if you decided beforehand that it was your plan to have your side attack regardless of who won the challenge that was given - that is truly an interesting turn as you did not share that with us at the time of the challenge.
2. You may have failed that day to actually issue the challenge as you had envisioned the challenge to be given to us. I only know how that day it was given and how it was given was what I answered to… which is the same way Prince Andrick understood it was given and answered.

In service,
HRM Cailen Sendor
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

shroom2021
Darkonian

Wulfvin Sturmbjorne wrote:
shroom2021 wrote:

I do believe he was speaking to Karma with this...

If he was speaking to Karma, then I apologize for my harsh words as they were mis-directed.

Post by Karma » 2012-11-24

-Inox- wrote: However, while we are taking liberty with inferences and impressions, you will of course excuse me for concluding that your comments reflect your own insecurities with brilliant clarity.

But one can one expect from a "warrior" that can't even be depended on to maintain a base allegiance to a country?

Oh, this again. Honestly, is it so difficult to find something to attack me over that you have to fall back on the same old tired story again and again? Obviously I'm doing something right.

Please Inox, Make a list of all of the nations of Darkon that I have so horribly betrayed. Here's your chance to make it nice and public for all to see. Just remember what they say about glass houses and stones, former Elidorian Inox, as I'm fairly certain that between the two of us, I was not the most recent person to walk away from a country. As for my supposed "insecurities", I wasn't aware that you held such insight into my mind. Please, enlighten me. I'll wait.

Tyriel,

"Rigging" was your choice of words, not mine. I'm merely remembering the fact that one of the judges decided to provide his own armor to Archduke Slindar, in the middle of the fight, to cover a gap that HRM Cailen was targeting with a good deal of success. I could go on with a list of things I found..... out of place, with that fight, but I don't really think I need to, as the only people who seem to have a selective memory regarding it are wearing gears on their clothing. Funny how that works out. While I've never had an issue with you before, if you'd like to "settle this" with me, as you so eloquently phrased it, I'm sure you know where to find me.

No Quarter has no farmers? Personally, I suggest you fix that. Archduke Slindar isn't going to be able to feed you forever now that he isn't collecting taxes.

As for HRM Cailen "hiring every country in the realm", that's rubbish. To my knowledge, the Northern Kingdoms weren't paid, nor was New Mordom, nor was Elidor. I will admit that I may be wrong there, but even if I am, I'd like to remind EOG/No Quarter/King's guard that they were originally hired and paid by Archduke Slindar for their services, before they took the oath they so stridently cling to. Again, glass houses and all that.

Not that I see anything wrong with hiring mercenaries. That is what they are there for, after all - to get paid to fight for a cause. How is that somehow a problem?

EDIT: I will exclude EOG from the comment about being paid, as they have always and will always fight beside their brother.

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2012-11-25

Karma wrote:Oh, this again. Honestly, is it so difficult to find something to attack me over that you have to fall back on the same old tired story again and again? Obviously I'm doing something right.

Please Inox, Make a list of all of the nations of Darkon that I have so horribly betrayed. Here's your chance to make it nice and public for all to see. Just remember what they say about glass houses and stones, former Elidorian Inox

Yes, it is true: over the past fifteen years I have now been in two countries. You are closer to the inverse of that.

...and honestly, it is not difficult to find points of criticism; it's just beneath me to spend more than a moment's thought kicking a cur. This must suffice: You are a predictably opportunistic sycophant-for-hire, whose name I only tend to hear uttered in the context of some recent disappointment or another.
Beast of BABALON

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2012-11-25

We don't need farmers, or food. We are immortal, it seems the rest of you are too, since you keep coming back after you die. Also, how is one adjusting their armor in the fight wrong? You have to adapt in the ring, as nothing is ever certain. I was never paid for my services, I did it because I was loyal.

For Gor, your wolves can come get some.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2012-11-25

Tyriel,
I do not know that he was speaking of the "humans" he referenced as you; of No Quarter! but rather of the common folk of our nation.
It seems to me that he wishes to no longer protect our common folk from the direwolves that run throughout the mountains.
I would not take that as a threat.
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

Post by Karma » 2012-11-26

-Inox- wrote: Yes, it is true: over the past fifteen years I have now been in two countries. You are closer to the inverse of that.

...and honestly, it is not difficult to find points of criticism; it's just beneath me to spend more than a moment's thought kicking a cur. This must suffice: You are a predictably opportunistic sycophant-for-hire, whose name I only tend to hear uttered in the context of some recent disappointment or another.

Please. "Beneath you"?

You've never had an issue being vocal towards anyone, ever, in the time I've known you in Darkon. Your issue here is that the facts don't line up with the story you want to spin, so instead of taking the opportunity to prove your point, you chose to try to make yourself look better without bringing any of those rather un-cooperative facts into the equation. This is, to use your own words, predictable - it's what you always do when someone calls you on your lies and half-truths.

Again, I invite you to make that list, Inox. Here's your chance to air out all of my dirty laundry and expose my nefarious, heinous reputation for all of Darkon to see, your chance to prove your point beyond a doubt.

Somehow, I doubt your going to take that chance. I'm expecting more sad excuses and backpedaling wrapped up in pretty words and a fake air of superiority. Like I said, predictable.