Open Letter to the Realm from Lord Dubh

For character narratives and in-character announcements. Moderators will be liberal in the removal of OOC posts and comments. Do not 'god mode' in the forums, if you can't do it on the field you can't do it here.
Forum rules
Moderators will be liberal in the removal of OOC posts and comments. Do not 'god mode' in the forums, if you can't do it on the field you can't do it here.
Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Open Letter to the Realm from Lord Dubh

Post by Lord Dubh » 2013-01-30

This past gathering saw the total disgrace of HRM's household and those whom he has entrusted. The first failure was that HRM had to erect his own court without the aid of the one whose duty it is to handle such matters, the Lady Chamberlain, who as I understand it has a rather extensive staff herself and thus no excuse.

The second failure was no one acted as his herald to call forth his Court. He had to do it himself. Further after a declaration of war was made HRM had to go and get the representatives of Chosen Blood, again himself. Due to the lack of ANYONE he has put into a position of power taking action.

Then their was the assassination. HRM was SUCCESSFULLY killed by an assassins blade, successful in that the blade even made it close to HRM. Even if HRM requested to not have a bodyguard, it is the duty of his appointed leaders to ensure that the King is always protected. This is a failure of the Lord Steward, the Hand and to a lesser extent the Lady Chamberlain.

When his allies finally decided it was convenient to attend to HRM, it was again only to further their own ends. To declare war on another loyal nation.

HRM has surrounded himself with title seekers who wished to be bestowed honors and do not wish to put forth the work required. It is a mistake that I would hope HRM will recognize after the fiasco and disgrace that was Court.

I do not pretend to not seek titles and privilege, but I give my time, energy and men to the cause. I AM the King's most loyal servant, and have been since Archduke Tarim ascended the throne as the first High King of Darkon.

Regrettably, I was detained as I was the host of His Royal Highness Tarim and could not aid HRM directly and will ensure that at least a few members of my Household will be available and on hand for HRM in the future no matter my disposition. This is what loyal and trusted servants of the King do, we serve.

For those going the way of treason, His Royal Majesty won the throne in accordance with the laws of the realm, and you should use those same laws to show your disfavor. Take your anger to the fields of Tarimstadt rather than resort to assassination.

Those that support and assist HRM should treat High King Cailen as the the supporters and aides of Arch Duke Slindar treated him. To do anything less is to disgrace and dishonor HRM and themselves.

In service to the Crown,
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Re: Open Letter to the Realm from Lord Dubh

Post by Sir Aethilgar » 2013-01-30

As you say, Sir Bendore, a man cannot be in two places at once. It is a shame that I was not on the field the day you mention. I was otherwise engaged in the business of the Realm otherwise I’m certain that this incident would not have occurred.

I do agree, this incident has brought to light several issues within King Cailen’s court which will be resolved. His Royal Majesty has ever been too open and good-hearted with the realm; much against sound advice. This close brush with death serves as a reminder that no King; no matter how well loved, goes without enemies. It will allow me to do what needs to be done.

As to how the servants of the Dethroned served; after reading many records left behind in the wake of King Cailen’s ascension, I understand perfectly well how they served and to what degree of honor they served in. You know that I know their worth. Nothing more need be said about this matter.

This by my hand,

Baron Aethilgar Sheldwich

(ooc – Signed in to Elder; Aethilgar was not on the field save for the Minathlani land action. We all must serve the game now and again)

Facta non Verba

"Arguing on the forums is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After some time, you realize that you are getting dirty, but the pig is actually enjoying it."

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Lord Hand,

That explains much and I remove you from blame and offer my apology to you.

In Service to the Crown
Lord Dubh
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Aethilgar » 2013-01-30

Sir Bendore,

No offense taken and no apology required. I know you only mean to serve the Crown in every action. The Realm needs more such as yourself.

By my hand,

Aethilgar

Facta non Verba

"Arguing on the forums is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After some time, you realize that you are getting dirty, but the pig is actually enjoying it."

Occultus
Darkonian

Post by Occultus » 2013-01-30

(OOC: Please read signature before replying - some do not and get it wrong based on username.)

An assassination attempt already? Wow. As much my distaste for nobles or men who would call themselves "king" (or women who would call themselves queen...), I must say, I find it distasteful that anybody would shove a blade in the man's back.

Did he deserve to die? Of course.

Did he deserve to die like that? No. He is an honorable men who deserved a glorious death in battle, not the sharp end of some slime's sharped hunk of metal.

In the future when I am present, I will do my best to keep an eye out for such people, and to aid Cailen if he were to fall to such an attack again. His body and spirit deserve better.

On a similar note, does anybody else find it a bit odd that the killers waited until the exact day Cailen first held an actual court setting? It seems like a rather symbolic strike to me.

His Hoiyness, Brother Ursus Polaris
Brother of The Empyrean

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm
Location: Tarimsdadt conducting interviews for new members of the Royal Court

Post by Lord Cailen Sendor » 2013-01-30

To the realm and the Honorable Lord Dubh I am currently drafting a response your letter. As I am taking care of some pressing issues atm it will take me a few hours. I have a personal request that no other messages reguarding this be sent till I have the time to properly respond to the letter because it will save some possible scaring of members of my Court and the information I have to give will open some facts in this matter that need to see the light of day before continued discussions on this topic.

In service,
thank you in advance,
HRM Cailen Sendor
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Warboss Gutzmangul
Darkonian

Post by Warboss Gutzmangul » 2013-01-30

YOU SHUT YER UGLY FACE, BENDORE!

I wuz dere an' I talked at da king meself! 'E told me dere weren't gunna be a court! No one tol' me diffren'. I wuz in contact wiv da king, tryin' ta make clear wut 'ee needed from me an' I weren't told nuffin' 'cept wut I jest said 'ere.

Learn stuff afore you say stupid stuff ya puffed up git! Some ov us got warz ta fight! THAT YOU SIGNED OFF ON!

Artex

Post by Artex » 2013-01-30

The Moonscarred Echo the Sentiments of the Ork.

And SInce Both I Myself, and Other Members of LOAP and the Moonscarred also offered help setting up court, as did others.

However I do regret that I had been granted leave and was unable to prevent the assassination. But Mark My Words I will be doubling my efforts to TEAR THE * ARMS OFF ANYONE WHO COMES 20 FEET WITH IN MY KING'S PERSON WITH A WEAPON, AND FORCE THEM TO ROAST IT AND EAT IT AS I WATCH!!!!!!

..the same goes for those who offer insult.

-Artex, War Chaplain of LOAP, Voice of The Moonscarred, Every Loyal to HRM Cailen Sendor

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Your Majesty,

Please forgive this but their is no need for you to respond to defend the the lack of action on behalf of your Household, it is enough to know my points are taken and will be corrected. Your kind heart and self-sufficiency is known to all.

Gutzmangul , as the Chief Herald you really should know who is a member of the court of His Royal Majesty. To help you out let me remind you that I am the Lord Chancellor, personal adviser to His Royal Majesty and President of his Privy Council. While no longer holding the honor of Lord Chamberlain, I am still a member of this Court.

Artex, if you are so eager to defend the High King there may be something you can do. I will speak to His Royal Majesty about it.

Lord Bendore Dubh
Lord Chancellor of Darkon
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-01-30

Those that support and assist HRM should treat High King Cailen as the the supporters and aides of Arch Duke Slindar treated him. To do anything less is to disgrace and dishonor HRM and themselves.

HRM has surrounded himself with title seekers who wished to be bestowed honors and do not wish to put forth the work required. It is a mistake that I would hope HRM will recognize after the fiasco and disgrace that was Court.

When one buys support... One gets what one pays for.

Those that support and assist HRM should treat High King Cailen as the the supporters and aides of Arch Duke Slindar treated him.

Slindar never paid any of us one single silver.

ALL HAIL THE USURPER KING... He will die a lonely man when his money and titles run out.

Thrush Svartehjertet
berserk
Captain of King Slindar's Guard
Protector of any King deemed worthy
Unpaid, unloved, and possessing your FULL attention
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm

Sir Bendore Dubh in honorable service to the Crown, as always I am honored that you have shared your experience and your opinions in this and other matters of the Kingdom. I value your guidance without exception. There are things you are not aware of and as you have called the honor of those who serve the Crown into question I must now be called to state publicly in their defense.

The failure (if it is to be considered failure, which I do not see it as such) is on my hands and no other. Most every member of the Court on more then one occasion has stated that I must surround myself with guards and that I should act with care when around Darkon citizens and act in a way that helps to ensure my own safety. To this I have always responded that I understand there are those who seek my head but I will neither cower in fear or allow this fact to change how I interact with the citizens I have come to love and protect. I allowed at the last gathering myself to be unprotected by my own will and against the recommendations of those in the Court including but not limited to the Lady Chamberlain. I directed my bodyguards under direct words from me to leave my presence and enjoy the day. The Lady and others of the Court were instructed to not actively guard me or surround me for a reason. I have always felt that all citizens should be trusted without reservation until such time as they prove themselves unworthy of such trust. At that point they then would be the people who soiled the relationship releasing me from any obgliation to give them open trust going forward. Sadly last gathering this plan of mine to open myself up unprotected to those who would seek my demise worked too well and netted some of these conspirators. One thing is clear they meant obviously for the assassination to be public.

I am very displeased and disappointed in Snudge as a member of a country that I have shown openness and trust in the past and will continue to do so in the future! Recently going so far as appointing an honorable member of their country to a position in the Court that allows him to directly act as King in the case of my demise or absence. Dealing with Snudge himself at the gathering I personally contacted him to offer him the position of treasurer of the Kings personal estate which while trying to hold back a smile he accepted and we bumped fists in acceptance. Soon after this he returned to where I was on the field and gestured to continue our conversation so I accompanied him away from the fighting whereby he moved to place me into position for the assassins blade to be at my back. Our conversation during this was that he was offering to find out where the previous personal treasury of the King had gone and he was stating he could recover some of it if he had the ability and finances to pay people to find out this information. My response was that what is done is done and I have no interest in paying people to try and recover funds but that if he wished to look into it he could. In reality I knew his position in the past Court enabled him to know exactly where these funds went to but wanted to see where he was going with this. It is at this point that I heard people behind me approaching so I carefully was watching Snudge’s face to see if there was any indication in it that I should be worried about who was approaching, as he had glanced that direction earlier. Even as I later knew a dagger was being raised to hit me in the neck which was clearly visible to him he made no notice of it – no expression of the incoming danger to his King was observed at all on his face or in his mannerism. From experience when a weapon is presented in such proximity to a person they will act accordingly to protect themselves by stepping back or positioning themselves using a body (mine in this case) to protect themselves he did not move or shift his position. The only answer to this is that he knew there was absolutely no danger to himself – its human nature.

After interviewing witnesses a lot of information was gained on the situation and Snudges actions directly after having me die in front of him. He walked off with 2 others a short distance from my body – he did not call foul or take action against them at all. Nor did they raise arms against him. Then after they moved from the body and after a short time they then yelled that the king was attacked. I will leave out the details here of the other 2 assailants at this time but one is known and the other was a male that wore a sircoat of a country that has my trust and my support. After interviewing several members of that country it became clear that the sircoated member was unknown to all the other members of that country because they had witnessed him in the area. In addition he wore a sircoat that had no stains on it no dirt or other marks showing it had been anything other then newly made or very clean which is something rare in that country and a sign that something was not quite right.

I wish to make it absolutely clear that Snudge has lost the trust, which I openly placed in him. In addition I am removing my offer to have him join the position in the Court now or any time during my reign. I do not hold the actions of his country responsible for his actions because there is no evidence they had a part in this other then to have 2 people from their country tied up in this botched attempt on my life.

Now we get back to the King assembling his own court…

I am the architect and designer of the new building and as such am still testing its limits and its strengths. When I am done with my tests and satisfied with its construction the responsibility of its construction at events will fall to the Master of the Household.
I was not the only person working with the court building this last gathering and I am grateful for all the support that I did not ask for but was freely given! To be clear there was at least 5 people at most times standing around with nothing to do cause we were assembling it and changing the design a lil as we went 

The Head herald was fulfilling his duties to the Crown during the time I myself gave the message to Chosen Blood about the meeting we were having on the fly because of the canceled court meeting done at my will. A different representative of the Court informed Chosen Blood of the meeting before I arrived. This shows that a herald did perform his duties as appointed by the Court. Indeed it was only my interest in showing both countries loyal to the Crown respect while allowing them both to openly state any grievances with each other that led me to walk to Chosen Blood on the field and walk beside them to the meeting.

Warboss Gutzmangul please respect the honorable position that I have placed upon Lord Bendore Dubh
Lord Chancellor of Darkon. He has my respect and accordingly deserves to be treated as his position dictates. He has acted in the realms interest and performed exactly the role and position that I appointed to him. He was not aware of the reality of what occurred nor that I had personally ordered some of my members of Court to take actions they would not normally take regarding my protection and safety. For this he deserves an apology from you as dictated by your religion or race for such a occurrence. I understand that you may find him ugly but that is understandable as you are from two different races with each having their own idea of beauty. Thank you for speaking your mind in this manner and defending the Court against what you believed was an attack.

Thrush as always you are free to speak your mind but the continued attacks on my honor and my intentions are really not something I would expect from such a stout and experienced warrior of the realm. The future is not ours to see what place in history mine will be.

In service,
HRM Cailen Sendor
++ Respect those above your station and train others under you to surpass your achievements - while you treat others with the respect you expect to receive in return! ++

Warboss Gutzmangul
Darkonian

I ain't 'pologizin' ter Bendore. 'Specially when I'm sayin' troof when 'eez speakin' lies! Eevur 'ees lyin' fer sayin' dis stuff or 'eez a stupid git fer sayin' it wifout talkin' to you, Warlord Cailen.

Comin' out an' bad moufin' yer court to da rest 'o Darkon makes us look like gits an' makes you look like da git king!

I want a pology fer 'im slanderin' me an' bein' a great big stupid git fer blamin' ev'rywun but 'isself! I got 'spect fer you, Cailen, but jest like you, I don't 'spect doze 'oo don't 'spect me.

Dis iz a right stupid way ter deal wif court problemz an' Bendore should know dat.

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm

Warboss that is the best and closest thing I have ever seen to an apology thank you for keeping to your beliefs. :) From the outside everything my advisor has stated could be implied as truth by someone not knowing the facts and I will never hold someone at fault for sharing problems they see even if the problems do not really exist :) Or are existing on purpose :)

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Of course your Majesty. Thank you.

I will say that in my years of dealing with the Kings, they do not always know what is best for their own defenses and at those time wise servants will discretely disobey.

Chief Herald - You took offense where none was given. In the running of the Household you are not the superior and it was to your superiors that this was directed.
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Cog
Land Marshal

Post by Cog » 2013-01-30

OOC: The players of darkon are to encourage roleplay. I hope everyone that has been following this thread understands that, especially when it comes to disguise. If our countries are representations of large armies, is it even slightly possible to know every single face? Every name of everyone? Of course not. So the fact that everyone in the unnamed country of ...... (which was 6 people that day? ) should not be a factor in some kind of speculation that it was someone dressed up in a surcoat of that unnamed country. Or does this unnamed country really only have 30 members to its great army? Regardless of the future posts to this thread, I would like to make it clear, that I am not personally attacking anyone, I just would like people to understand and not try to find a cheesy way to metagame, even if they are not purposely doing so.

IC: I apologize to your majesty, I have a confession to make. Normally it is within my nature to help out someone when I see helping could be nice, and I had a moment where I could have spared some time to help you set up for court. I offer my hands to help you set up for court the next time.

Warboss Gutzmangul
Darkonian

Ain't no git my superior. Da king callz me 'bruvver', an' I treat 'im as me own bruvver, I 'spect 'im as me bruvver.

I speak fer da king cuz I want to, not cuz anywun'z boss o' me. You say "Chief 'Erald done zogged up", yer eevur talkin'' ta me or da king.

I'm dun talkin'. Darkon don' need ta see weedy twisty words an' blame frone ev'rywhere. Cailen iz king cuz 'eez da best. If 'ee weren't da best, I wouldna rallied me boyz ta die for 'im on da field an' den in da shadow of Tarimstradt. 'Ee wearz da crown cuz boyz like me put 'im dere.

Stupid sneaky gitz fink dey can get away wiv snikin' da king. Deyz dead wrong.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-01-30

It is indeed my right to say as I please. I'm not sure what my prowess as a fighter has to do with how well I control my tongue. I will continue to do that which has made me the man that I am: speak my mind, stand by my word, and give the field my all. I actually think what I said here was observational and mild, compared to some of my mead influenced rantings...

If I had any advice to give the current king, it would be to save your titles and money for those who prove themselves worthy of them BEFORE they are bestowed upon them. I fought ALONG side King Slindar for one whole season before accepting his offer to captain his guard. he respected my patience and judgement and did not hire another to fill the role in haste. He had my word that no ill would come from me wile I mulled over the decision. After that season, I decided he was honorable and had good intentions by asking me to serve in this position. He did not ask my motives, only that he stay alive.

We both were pleased with the result.

Now you know. Take my words as mead fueled rantings of an old grizzled warrior who has sustained one too many blows to the head, or actually take them to heart.

I could not honestly care any less. Your crown represents as little honor as your most ardent and vocal supporters in my eyes.

Thrush Svartehjertet
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Lord Cailen Sendor
Knight of the Realm

OOC - yes armies are representations of large countries - in the interviews no one ever said that the person that did the act was not from that country or someone in costume rather only that they did not personally reconize the assialiant - 2 members of nurgle who were known to the people that witnessed the crime and the actions of the crime were identified specifically and by your argument the crown is not holding these 2 people as representations of all of thier country - Elidor was interviewed to try and find out who among them was the assassian and being a member of Elidor for over 25 years I am keenly aware that I personally do not know off the top of my head the names of every elidorian that has ever set foot in Elidor and as I did not personally see the face of my attacker I have no idea which Elidorian did the crime but I would know in character if I have ever seen "that Elidorian" before had I been a witness and that is only what was answered in the interviews - the only things here which are min maxing or cheese is actually roleplaying and nothing more

(In character )Thank you Cog for the offer it has been a while since I have seen you and I have yet to recieve the copy of the letter of Marque that you wanted me to evaluate and you said you would get me a copy of for my review. Maby when I see you next you could provide that copy or send it in some other manner as we discussed as I can not rule on something that I do not have the time to properly review. To be honest I actually secretly enjoy the time spent building things and designing things that can later be enjoyed by others. I hope you have been well and look forward to seeing you again when your time allows.

In service,
HRM Cailen Sendor

Sir Orlffson

Post by Sir Orlffson » 2013-01-30

Lord Chancellor,

I am most disturbed by your missive. What concerns me most, is that now, on top of the attempt on HRM, it seems that you as well have been the victim of the plot.
I was the second person on the field that day. You showed up not long after... we spoke briefly. You, and your set up your camp and tent. Not long after HRM arrived. I helped drive and set the corner columns of the court. At that time, no other member of the court; other than yourself was there. I am assuming, that you did not help, because you were unknowingly the victim of a hallucination poisoning. Otherwise you would have.
Also, as you were in the court when The Unified Federation of Northern Kingdoms declared war, you would have known that HRM's court had been canceled, and that he sent a runner to gather Baron Valfryn Ken'Virr.

As to the Lady Chamberlain, she showed up late due to a sickness in her household. True, the sickness was most likely caused by too much drink. However she did come, and was ready for court, but in her haste, forgot her spell book.

Please believe that I will do everything in my power, to find the reason/culprit to your memory loss.
Baron Dritz Orlffson
Master of the Raven

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Sir Orlffson,

Are you a member of the Kings Household?? I did in fact see you aiding HRM setting up his display but you are not, to my knowledge, a member of his Household, so the letter was not directed at you. I could be wrong in this and maybe the Lady Chamberlain appointed you to some role, I am not privy to the inner workings any longer after removing myself to handle other duties. If that is the case then I was grievously wrong and owe an apology.

As for the rest, it is not anyone but the Kings place to question my actions but it does disappoint me that one of Chendrolyn, a nation that I honor and respect, would come at me this way. For reasons that do not even concern them. I suppose with the unification of Chendrolyn with two other nations that have nothing but hatred for me it was bound to happen, and I will not continue with the misunderstanding.

I do appreciate the information regarding the plot against my person. I will look into it as I am sure will the 'secret police.'
Master Thief of Darkon

____

Calus
Darkonian

Post by Calus » 2013-01-30

Oh daresay, a King that rules from the ground up, contructs his own court and prefers to meet people face to face instead of sending a lapdog to do his bidding. A man who walks in public in the face of opportunitstic miscreants. Such travesty.

Yes, Cailen is one that goes against the grain, one who prefers to delve into the trenches rather than look down upon them from his high seat. The realm is not ready such a leader. Even still, they long to be showered in Slindar's eminence and to lavish in recognition for simply standing within arms reach of a throne.

Tsk tsk, brother what have you gotten yourself into. And for all of your hard work to be repaid with an attempt on your life and to have naysayers still doubt your validity as a leader. You cannot tame this beast overnight. This is all the Realm has ever known.

You would have made an outstanding general, bringing change to the Realm one blood trail at a time. Atleast from this perspective there would be no doubt as to who your enemies are.
Sic Semper Tyrannis

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-01-30

Poppycock I say. It is well known that Elidor has no assassins or necromancers within its borders.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Prince Andrick
Knight of the Realm

Post by Prince Andrick » 2013-01-31

Most if not all of you know that I helped put HRM Cailen on the throne. Those I consider friend know it was one of the most difficult decisions I have ever made. That said, I will remind all of my stance on assassination : I will not tolerate the assassination of any Elidorian. It has always been so and will always be so.

If you find you must participate in such vile acts, be prepared for the consequences. Come for Cailen in any other way you like, he will stand and fight you. But not this.
Prince Andrick VanDahl KR, OSW, OR, OD, CM, CC
High Priest of Thor
Elidorian Minister of War
Field Marshal
President 2013

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-01-31

Noble Prince,

Does your detesting of assassins outweigh your stance on Necromancy? That is, if an assassin was caught, would you turn the other way while he was publicly shamed as a staggering corpse bearing a placard of his misdeed?

Yours in shadows
LC
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Prince Andrick
Knight of the Realm

Post by Prince Andrick » 2013-01-31

No, it does not
Prince Andrick VanDahl KR, OSW, OR, OD, CM, CC
High Priest of Thor