Proposal - Update of Druid Armor Materials

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Proposal - Update of Druid Armor Materials

Post by Sir Aethilgar » 2013-07-29

1. Policy Proposal Name: Update of Druid Armor Materials
2. Proposal Originator:
a. name: Baron Aethilgar
b. email: aethilgar@gmail.com
3. Proposal Version: 1.0
4. Date: 07/29/2013
5. Proposal type: Modification of Druid Class Rules
6. Policy term: Permanent
7. Policy statement:
This proposal is to expand and clarify the usable materials for druidic armor.

8. Rationale:
Druids can currently wear armor of AC1 and AC 2. However, druids are currently forbidden from using anything but leather. This ruling ignores a wealth of materials available for armor construction that would provide for a natural druidic feel. Without changing the armor class restrictions; additional materials can be made available to druid characters .

9. Text:

Druid Text Changes:

Druids are restricted to wearing armor made only from leather, whether Leather or Leather Scale from AC 1, or Hide from AC2.

To:
Druids are restricted to wearing armor of AC2 or less. Druids may not use metal components as a primary component of their armor (rings, studs, plates, etc). Druids may replace the requirement for such with a natural component (wood, bone, or antler in rings, studs, plates, etc. (Note - Metal may still be used in joinings and closures such as buckles, rivets, eyelets, etc. Additionally; safe construction is of paramount importance. Any wood, bone, or antler components will still be judged for safety to the wearer and all other participants on the field. Any armor found to be unsafe will not pass inspection.).

10. Cosigners
Baron Aethilgar Sheldwich

Facta non Verba

"Arguing on the forums is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After some time, you realize that you are getting dirty, but the pig is actually enjoying it."

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Re: Proposal - Update of Druid Armor Materials

Post by Inox » 2013-07-29

This isn't needed.

You can embellish your armor with whatever safe wooden, antler, etc. elements you want; it just doesn't count as armor.

The "Leather only" refers solely to the legal-for-armor materials you can use. Bone is not armor material, but you can add it to your kit just like you can wear a necklace or fancy boots with antler buttons.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Need is relative.

Few things are truly needed in a fantasy game; but some things do add favor and do have historical precedent. Armor of wood, horn, bone, bamboo, and the like have existed in the real world and in many parts of the globe. Adding these materials to the list of legal armor doesn't seem like a large leap. Restricting such materials to AC2 seems reasonable. Frankly, the only stretch is limiting these 'natural' materials to druids when they could be opened to all players.

Facta non Verba

"Arguing on the forums is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After some time, you realize that you are getting dirty, but the pig is actually enjoying it."

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2013-07-29

I think that there would be very little impressive armor, and a whole lot of crap.

We don't need crappier looking armor on the field. That's not relative.

Bone is a very expensive material, extremely unlikely to be seen in a way that's done well. I don't think we need to see people with lamely-laced bamboo strips that now technically count as protection.

Druids already only need to pony up for 5oz. leather, since their Barkskin takes it up to AC 2, so really, this is solving a problem that doesn't exist, and potentially allowing a lot of really awful junk on the field.

Show me some people with really impressive armor of this type, and maybe we can begin writing a specific standard based on THAT.
Beast of BABALON

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

So your rejection of this proposal isn't based on need, per se, but your perception that those who use natural materials might not construct armor in such a way as to look pleasing to the eye.

But you would be willing to allow 'natural' materials if, when constructed, it appeared at least as good as what is on the field today; correct?

Facta non Verba

LordTyrantCort
Knight of the Realm

Post by LordTyrantCort » 2013-07-29

They (druids)can just add these natural materials over the 5oz leather plus barkskin.
And no rule needs to be made. Since they can already do this and only get Ac 2.
Live for the slaughter
GLORIUS death

Knight of Ched Nasad
Survivor of The Asylum Mal'volus
Acolyte of GodThyanaos
OS...

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2013-07-30

Only reason this is necessary is if we wish to push for more materials legal for armor... which would be the first step. (sorry I havn't been ontop of my leather/fur rules.)

I do feel the game is getting away from "restricting" players to the mythos of a class. Monks aren't just karate masters, they're swashbucklers, berzerkers, Cormac isn't a wizard, he's a grenadier alchemist, chosen blood too, have no "mages" but robed priests, etc... Any COSTUMING options we throw out there, we should throw out to all classes... for personalization and whatnot. These days it's what the class can do at it's core, and how you want to explain the RP of the mechanics. So this would have to swing for all classes, though druids would benefit from it, from their skin spells.

I would say that if people are enforcing a "no metal closure"/ rivets rule on druids, that's plain silly, but meh.

I don't mind opening the door to bone/ odd material armors if we can regulate them. The main problem would be that they're going to be so widely varied. So just like with the fur... I would just call it all AR1. That way (just like with the fur) it's not like someone's got some kind of patchwork suit that can take a blacksword. And it's still going to be comparable in weight/discomfort to 5oz in some respect.

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Aethilgar » 2013-07-30

Lord Valfryn wrote:I don't mind opening the door to bone/ odd material armors if we can regulate them. The main problem would be that they're going to be so widely varied. So just like with the fur... I would just call it all AR1. That way (just like with the fur) it's not like someone's got some kind of patchwork suit that can take a blacksword. And it's still going to be comparable in weight/discomfort to 5oz in some respect.

This is true. And I like the thought of opening up armor materials, in general, in an effort to improve armor tech and broaden the flavor on the field. Armor would have to pass for safety and for costuming (as it should today). And, for non-metal armor components, we could state that they have to be equivalent to the corresponding metal requirement (18g plate thickness, etc). With such modifications to the above (removing 'druid' and placing an equivalency to the corresponding metal component; would it work for you?

Facta non Verba

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Post by Inox » 2013-07-30

I'd like to see some EXAMPLES of this armor in person before we go about writing rules for theoretical builds.

If it looks like total *, or is potentially unsafe, we'd know almost instantly. We can pontificate forever online and get no real sense of that.
Beast of BABALON

Varnak_the_UnNamed

Post by Varnak_the_UnNamed » 2014-05-16

I think that options for other armor types is a good idea as long as we can make it safe. Especially when it can be shown historically that they existed. I am going to make some wicker armor which can show that not only can it be done, but it can be done in a way that will look good and also be moderated like other armor types.

As to bone, I really like the idea but I am concerned for safety regarding the bone breaking/splintering etc. What are everyone's thoughts on synthetic materials that could be used to represent bone. For example, what if I took bones and cast them into molds and then made "bones" out of neoprene or such. We restrict plate by its thickness, in order to simulate its actual weight/encumbrance. Bone is pretty light so if we used a synthetic material that was safer, what would be the concern?

Also, just for the record here are my thoughts on AR types
Fur/Wood/Wicker AR 1
Bone on the current AR 1 leather would make it AR 2 like studded leather. (with the same rules for spacing and such that we use for studs)
-Suelk Varnak the UnNamed of Ched Nasad

Eclesiarch of Slaa-eth
Keeper of Asylym Male'Volus
The Oathbreaker
Bearer of the Seed
The Lost Prince
Fang of Shub-Rath
Scourge of Ctelotho
Wielder of Y'Drasooth, the ancestral Holy Weapon of the Lost