Defining and mandating a "field" at Darkon

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
Thrush Svartehjertet

Defining and mandating a "field" at Darkon

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-10-21

Idea: make fighting fun when there are less than 70 people on the field.

Spitballing: If there are more than 70 players playing AT ONCE (not total check in), the Darkon "field" is complete and active in all fun, awesometastic ways. If you have LESS than 35 players on each side, equalling 70 total players AT ONCE, you have not achieved a "field" for propper Darkon gaming.

What this means: No adventure rules, no OFFENSIVE relics.

What this achieves: fun for all who are willing to go out there and play.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Re: Defining and mandating a "field" at Darkon

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2013-10-21

Sounds great to me. Worked great this weekend. Good fighting all the way until 4:30 or so.

****Combat went much move smoothly and had more fun and enjoyed the combat, sport and challenge of fighting, after the relics were removed from play, due to the low number of fighters on each side and the overall HUGE affect the relics were having on such small teams****
Last edited by Sir Sturmbjorne on 2013-10-21, edited 1 time in total.
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-10-21

I disagree. The arrow of piercing, the javalin of lightning, the wand of Gartan and Maelstrom were used ad infinitum to grief players on a field where, in order to play with such a small number of players, they were forced to get near said relics. I spoke with numerous players who did not get to participate in 4 fights in a row at one point in another becaue they were hit with one of the above relics (sometimes the same one in the same player's hand) multiple fights in a row...

I died 4 times to maelstrom, 2 times to the wand, and one time to the javalin (hitting me in the leg), 1 fireball, and 2 thief backstabs and 4 "sketch" backhacks. This was all between 1:30pm and about 2:20. Think about how many fights I was not able to play in after driving an hour because I was trying to play, and had to get near the other team (which was tiny) in order to use my awesome fighter abilities...

Hence my idea (in conjunction with other players I talked to about it) to eliminate adventure rules and offensive relics when we don't have an official Darkon "field" (70 players) or whatever we decide to call it.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2013-10-21

I meant it worked great once we removed the relics (both sides saw that they had WAY too much impact vs small numbers)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
President 2015

mardux zulammar

Post by mardux zulammar » 2013-10-21

Fine by me. I'll still get them checked and toss them out there. If the elders and players want to use better judgement and toss them off the field, go for it.
~Member of the Northern Kingdoms
~Phoenix Company, Head of Artillery and Ranged
~Squire to Baron Tyriel Firebrand
~ (Ex)Head Spell Marshal
~Relics Marshal 2013-2014

Sir Havoc

Post by Sir Havoc » 2013-10-21

^ +1
Sir Havoc, KR, Master of the Stag, CC x1

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Aethilgar » 2013-10-22

Huh.

I like it.

Can't elders call the implementation of such a rule-set on the field at any time?
Baron Aethilgar Sheldwich

Facta non Verba

"Arguing on the forums is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After some time, you realize that you are getting dirty, but the pig is actually enjoying it."

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-10-22

If we made it a rule, it would negate any chance for arguement. Yes, elders can do what they want. We could also just spread the word that it would be appreciated that the elders would do this. But on Sunday there were no elders most of the itme I was there...

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Aethilgar » 2013-10-22

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:...negate any chance for argument.

Double-plus good.

Facta non Verba

"Arguing on the forums is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After some time, you realize that you are getting dirty, but the pig is actually enjoying it."

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2013-10-22

Correct, the elders can do what they want as far as that kind of stuff. But as Thrush pointed out, there were no elders this event.
1/2 of Darkon was watching the ring fights, the other 1/2 was fighting and didnt want to elder; myself included.
I think we did pretty well without Elders, and once the Relics were removed (both sides decided it was a good idea) we all had TONS more fun.
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
President 2015

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-10-22

There should never be "zero elders" during a battle. this is a fail on darkon's part, and the execs should enforce the rule of countries providing them.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

3/5 Execs were busy with Ring, 1/5 was absent, the other was fighting alongside us. There was really no need for an elder with the number of people we had. (SEE: Roundtree every event)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
President 2015

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-10-22

if there is no need for an elder, why is the lack of an elder an issue worth bitching about then? see above.

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

That isnt the issue. The issue was the use of RELICS when there are only 15 people per side.
The RELICS when the are present with 15 people per side, they become extremely overpowering.

So the idea of this thread is to have a rule or standard of; if there are only 25 people per side, remove all offensive relics.
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
President 2015

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-10-23

I just dont see how any save Maelstrom is "offensive" and overpowering. People fear the wand of Gartan really? Dagger- 1 shot. Javelin - 1 shot. Arrow- 1 shot. Shield, Mace- laying on the ground most times.

I will play the role of stick jock here and tell you that if you keep dying to pillows, get better at dodging.
Man people whine about everything these days.

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2013-10-23

Maelstrom- 3 people out
Dagger- takes out 1 person instantly
Arrow- takes out 1 person from behind a shield instantly.
Jav- 1 Shield or person if done right
Shield- DEFENSIVE
Mace- Destroys shields easily when someone picks it up
Axe- Destroys shields easily
Sword- Black swung
Broach- DEFENSIVE
Bracers- DEFENSIVE

The point is, with all of the relics on one side, even if you just have Maelstrom, Arrow and dagger... thats 5 out of 15 people dead right off the bat.

It just evens things out to remove them when there arent a lot of people.
It worked, It was fun, everyone agreed that Relics were OP with the # of people fighting.

I don't think we need to add anything to the rulebook, nor do i think ANYONE was bitching about relics. We just all agreed we'd have more fun w/o them.

I think we need people and Elders that are willing to make a call that could make more fun for people. Which is what we come to darkon to do... have fun.
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
President 2015

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-10-23

Fingers, if people didn't single out certain players with relics in this situation I would agree with you. But when you can keep a person, who drive an hour, paid $5, and went through the effort to meet the dresscode of the club, from participating in the club... there is a problem.

I'm glad someone metioned the ring fights: a post is going to follow. (I typed one before, but the * internet ate it)

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-10-24

Thrush Svartehjertet wrote:Fingers, if people didn't single out certain players with relics in this situation I would agree with you. But when you can keep a person, who drive an hour, paid $5, and went through the effort to meet the dresscode of the club, from participating in the club... there is a problem.

Thrush
berserk

See and therein lies the problem, and I totally agree. Its not that the relics are the culprits, its the people using them. If someone AoP Inox 5 x in a row, they are being a dick. Speaking of which, there was a proposal to change Maelstrom. What happened with it anyone know?

It still falls back to countries should provide elders for the fight and elders should step up and say "yeah I know you guys won the last battle by 10, which is why you dont need Maelstrom, the Sword of Slaying, or the Broach, please give them to the losing team."

I should be there next event, and will make sure two teams is fun.

I cant do anything about people not showing up, or going to watch Ring fights though.

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-10-24

You are the best event elder I have ever had the priveledge to fight under, You make Darkon really fun! Thanks.

Thrush
berserk

PS: you could ask the sidelines what they are doing to help make Darkon fun...
Warriors Guild

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-10-24

I may be a salty prick sometimes, but I do in fact TRY to make it so people have fun at Darkon. After all, isnt that the point?

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2013-10-24

Attendance has been super low lately in general. The past couple events with ring fights have taken away from the two teams to spectate, but that's only a few events out of the year. I'm not sure why more people are sitting on the sidelines then fighting nowadays but I would like to know why.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Aethilgar » 2013-10-25

fingers630 wrote:If someone AoP Inox 5 x in a row, they are being a *.

This I disagree with in principle. While it is possible to 'grief' people with many of the spells and abilities available to a Darkon player today (ice storm, word of holding, AoP, fireball, etc, etc (you guys missed the age of Nature Love))... repeated use of these abilities against specific people might not be griefing.

Using the Inox example... were Inox the best fighter on the opposing side; I'd want to use any ability to easily remove him from the field available to me. It's a strategic decision made in the hopes that his removal will significantly boost the chances for my team to be victorious. In this case, it is more a complement of Inox's abilities that he is nuked right at the start of each fight and not being a jerk. Will it be fun for Inox? Likely not. Will it be fun for 'my side' to win? Likely so. As 'the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few'... I'm afraid I'm going to have to nuke Inox. :P

Facta non Verba

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2013-10-25

Nah dude, it's situational. Most of the time these days it is legit griefing. Whether designed to hurt someone's feelings or not. Why not just ask that player to not play when you dont give them the chance to play?

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-10-25

Yep, I have never encountered a player that is SOOO good, his side never loses because of him. Now there are lots of great fighters, that have an impact on their side winning, some better than others in fact, but if I am facing Malkin, Inox, Thrush, Kai, and Slindar 5 battles in a row, and in every one of those battles, I maelstrom Thrush, is that not me being a griefing dick?

I used to fireball Alfred and Keldar exclusively when fighting either Elidor or Mordom, because chances are without that person, the unit will be lesser in terms of leadership or prowess without them. But when I really thought about it, I realized I could in fact fireball Andrick, or Inox or Wraith, also all good fighters, and still impact the fight, without making Alfred sit down 5 times in a row.

Of course Im older and "wiser" than I was at 20 I suppose :)

exoduscleric
Knight of the Realm

Post by exoduscleric » 2013-10-25

I really don't think this is an issue of intentional griefing. Players take out the opponents that they think are most likely to tip the balance in their team's favor. It isn't more complex than that. The relics often shift around and people don't always realize that the same players are getting hit from battle to battle. Would it be called griefing if fighters rushed the same player from fight to fight to eliminate them before they could kill a large portion of one side?

When I realized that players were getting sick of getting fireballed... I stopped fireballing as my mage. I haven't cast fireballs in a while. I think AWARENESS is an issue in Darkon. Rather than creating special rules I think it would be beneficial to the realm to let it be known that it's not fun for the same people to get taken out with relics every battle. Share the love a little. Be aware when this is happening. If you see someone icestormed last battle... maybe you should avoid it this battle. Let them play! It's not always an intentional diss. Sometimes people just don't think about what exactly is going on in the grand scheme of things.