Bylaw Proposal Change

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Bylaw Proposal Change

Post by Snudge » 2013-11-28

Currently bylaws read as follows. Taken directly from the publications page

Article III
Board of Directors
8.) A quorum is set at four - fifths of the Board members before business can be transacted or motions made or passed

I propose to change it to read

8.) A quorum is set at three - fifths of the voting Board members before business can be transacted or motions made or passed

I don't think we needed to up the requirements for quorum when we changed the bylaws. I didn't notice until the senate meeting where I thought we fixed it. John pointed out in the general forums this was wrong. So here's the procedural submission to get the change started.
Last edited by Snudge on 2013-12-06, edited 1 time in total.
Rake, roustabout, vagabond and general no account sketchy
Some disreputable folks even go so far as to call me a mountebank
Holder of non-noble titles to numerous to mention

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

mardux zulammar

Re: Bylaw Proposal Change

Post by mardux zulammar » 2013-11-28

Cosign setting it to 3/5.
~Member of the Northern Kingdoms
~Phoenix Company, Head of Artillery and Ranged
~Squire to Baron Tyriel Firebrand
~ (Ex)Head Spell Marshal
~Relics Marshal 2013-2014

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2013-11-30

Co sign
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Magistrate

Post by Magistrate » 2013-11-30

"I don't think we needed to up the requirements for quorum when we changed the bylaws. I didn't notice until the senate meeting where I thought we fixed it. John pointed out in the general forums this was wrong. So here's the procedural submission to get the change started."

This is incorrect ... John pointed out clearly that we were not changing the 4/5th as that has been in place he only was changing adding the word "voting" so as to not count non voting members against quaroum

That being said the previous BD approved adding the word "voting" to the previous text... It will go before senate on the 15th to see if senate is ok with adding the word voting....

No new proposals will go in this year to address changing the % of members so what I suggest is that you wait till after senate gets to vote on if they want to add "voting" as has been approved by the BD then going into next year with Amy taking over as magistrate draft a proposal to change the %. :)

Magistrate

Post by Magistrate » 2013-11-30

also currently because senate did not approve adding "voting" the bylaws should state the following...

Article III
Board of Directors
8.) A quorum is set at four - fifths of the Board members before business can be transacted or motions made or passed

Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Dubh » 2013-12-03

Snudge understands that Pat, which is why he put forth this proposal to change 4/5 to 3/5 which I am sure he doesn't expect to have on the docket until 2014.

The Committee chose 4/5 for the quorum to prevent a voting block from taking action without a super-majority present. This is NOT a voting thing, this is a WHO IS AT THE MEETING thing.

A Board should not function without a super-majority of its members at the meeting.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2013-12-06

I indeed don't expect it to get onto the agenda before 2014, and I cleaned up the first bit for clarity
Rake, roustabout, vagabond and general no account sketchy
Some disreputable folks even go so far as to call me a mountebank
Holder of non-noble titles to numerous to mention

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal