Scroll Potion Poison Change

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Scroll Potion Poison Change

Post by fingers630 » 2013-12-18

Potions and Scrolls
Potions and Scrolls may be created by Mages, Druids, and Clerics of 10th Rank or higher; the creation of potions and scrolls is an Adventure‐Only ability. To create a potion or scroll, the maker must inform the Potions and Scrolls Marshal, or the Vice President, at check‐in and pay a cost of 10 Silver Pieces and 1 Spell Point per spell rank. The maker must also declare at that time what type of
Potion or Scroll he is making. The Potions and Scrolls Marshal will then sign and date the potion or scroll, making it valid for use. Scrolls and potions are valid for ONE YEAR from the date marked on them when created.
Payment is due and Spell Points are expended immediately once the potion or scroll has been signed. A participant may only make potions or scrolls during an adventure event, and can only be make them during a full day of adventuring (i.e. a participant may not make a potion or scroll on the Friday night of a campout). Also note that the participant may not make potions or scrolls while Eldering or acting as an NPC. Potions and Scrolls are not lootable if carried by the participant who made them, on the same day on which they are created. Other than that, they are considered treasure, and may be stolen or looted.
Each adventure the spellcaster receives 3 potion/scroll points. The points are expended on created a potion or scroll depending on the level of the spell used (see table below).

1st level 1 point
2nd level 1 point
3rd level 1 point
4th level 2 points
5th level 2 points
6th level 2 points
7th level 3 points
8th level 3 points
9th level 3 points
10th level 3 points
The creation process requires the maker to have the potion or scroll components. Potions require a 20 oz. or smaller plastic bottle or vial and the components of the spell (one dose of potion per bottle); scrolls require the spell to be written on a piece of parchment paper and the components of the spell.
Only character types that would normally be able to cast the spell may use a scroll. For example, a Mage and a Druid could both use a Lightning Bolt scroll, but a Mage could not use a Cure Light Wounds scroll. The exception to this is a Thief of 9 Rank or higher; he may use the Read Magical Languages ability, see Chapter Five: Types of Characters, to read and cast any scroll. When writing the
spell on the scroll, the creator should determine the number of words according to his rank; therefore, the spell length may be reduced up to 50% if the creator’s rank warrants that reduction.
Any participant may use a potion. No fluid must be inside the potion bottle, nor must the participant actually consume any liquid to use the potion; it is a representation and only the role‐played motions of drinking the liquid and putting on the spell component, if any, are required. Any physical components needed for the spell must be inside of, or attached to, the bottle.

Potions may only be created for certain spells; they are as follows:

(Chart Unchanged from Current Rulebook)

Only changes to the Potions/Scrolls/Poisons as they are currently written is increase in monetary cost (Currently 1sp per level, increased to 10sp per level), and expiration date added (1 calendar year from date created)

Thoughts?
Last edited by fingers630 on 2013-12-19, edited 1 time in total.
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Re: Scroll Potion Change

Post by Sir Aethilgar » 2013-12-18

I like having potions and scrolls expire.

I wouldn't mind allowing players checking in as elders or NPCs to still make potions and scrolls as the restriction could limit the list of those who volunteer to serve the game. A player may value making potions and scrolls more than they value serving as an elder or NPC. It almost seems like we are punishing some players for stepping up.
Baron Aethilgar Sheldwich

Facta non Verba

"Arguing on the forums is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After some time, you realize that you are getting dirty, but the pig is actually enjoying it."

Varnak_the_UnNamed

Post by Varnak_the_UnNamed » 2013-12-18

Expiration is a good idea, I agree with the "allowing players to elder/npc".
-Suelk Varnak the UnNamed of Ched Nasad

Eclesiarch of Slaa-eth
Keeper of Asylym Male'Volus
The Oathbreaker
Bearer of the Seed
The Lost Prince
Fang of Shub-Rath
Scourge of Ctelotho
Wielder of Y'Drasooth, the ancestral Holy Weapon of the Lost

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2013-12-18

I like it.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-12-18

I support this if you add that it only applies to potions/scrolls made after the date this takes effect.
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-12-18

Well currently you cannot make scrolls if you NPC/Elder so it would be a change from current rules if people wanted to add that in.

I would allow for any old potions/scrolls to be brought in and signed by the Marshal with an expiration date on them. Allowing old ones to just sit out there is inviting trouble from anyone printing up a scroll and saying "Oh I had this from 1987..."

Varnak_the_UnNamed

Post by Varnak_the_UnNamed » 2013-12-19

Right, old scrolls get dates as if they were just made, and yes I think the NPC/Elder thing is important. Now that I have been in the game for over a decade I am trying to do things like run events, just like uncle fingers!, and I am high enough level that I can make some good scrolls/potions. As it stands I would be doing my country a disservice by volunteering for the game and that doesnt make sense.

Eclesiarch of Slaa-eth
The Oathbreaker
Bearer of the Seed
The Lost Prince
Fang of Shub-Rath
Scourge of Ctelotho

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2013-12-19

If you add an increased cost I'd back this idea. Inflation is a very real thing in the game and costs should be adjusted accordingly. A 1 gold cost for a res potion is just silly
Rake, roustabout, vagabond and general no account sketchy
Some disreputable folks even go so far as to call me a mountebank
Holder of non-noble titles to numerous to mention

Banker of Darkon
OR, CM
Land Marshal

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-12-19

Actually a rez potion costs 10gp, its 1gp per level. Currently, you can buy a rez potion for 1gp.

Kobalos

Post by Kobalos » 2013-12-19

My first thought was allowing undated stuff to work for one year, but now I prefer the idea of having it dated if you want to use. Then people with their big hoards of potions and scrolls can meter them out and make them last, but each single item is still only good for a year from the first time you think you might want to use it.

Ditto for poisons.

So, for me:
- all potions/scrolls/POISONS must have an expiration date
- thus you must have your old stuff dated by the P/P/S Marshal before you use it
- NPCs/Elders may create P/P/Ss as the class for which they are checked in

Keep in mind, hoarders: under this proposal, you won't be able to keep them forever, but they'd be more valuable!
--Κοβαλος

Baron Kobalos
Fauzi ibn-al-Rashid al-Halabi, KR, OR, CB
Steward of House Dubh
Director, First Royal Darkon Trust
Head NC Armor Marshal 2014

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2013-12-19

I like, Ill make the change and then ask for Co-Signers.

Damn I think 2014 is going to be the year of the Fingers Proposal. I feel like Inox ;)

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Aethilgar » 2013-12-27

fingers630 wrote:I like, Ill make the change and then ask for Co-Signers.

* I think 2014 is going to be the year of the Fingers Proposal. I feel like Inox ;)

So... does the proposal boil down to:

- all potions/scrolls/POISONS must have an expiration date
- thus you must have your old stuff dated by the P/P/S Marshal before you use it
- NPCs/Elders may create P/P/Ss as the class for which they are checked in

If so, co-signed.

Facta non Verba

"Arguing on the forums is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After some time, you realize that you are getting dirty, but the pig is actually enjoying it."

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Re: Scroll Potion Poison Change

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2013-12-27

co-sign
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Varnak_the_UnNamed

Post by Varnak_the_UnNamed » 2013-12-30

Not that you need it, but as Aethilgar said.

-Cosign

Eclesiarch of Slaa-eth
The Oathbreaker
Bearer of the Seed
The Lost Prince
Fang of Shub-Rath
Scourge of Ctelotho

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2014-01-08

I will straighten up the wording and submit this to amy so we can have it handed out and briefly discussed at the Jan 26th Senate Meeting.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2014-01-08

Ok here is final wording. I have addressed changing "words" to "syllables", adjust price from 1sp per level to 1gp per level, included what to do with old scrolls/potions, and added line item veto of allowing NPCs/Elders to create potions scrolls. I also added Warrior Mages since they weren't in original wording, but are allowed to make potions/scrolls.

Potions and Scrolls
Potions and Scrolls may be created by Mages, Druids, Warrior Mages, and Clerics of 10th Rank or higher; the creation of potions and scrolls is an Adventure‐Only ability. To create a potion or scroll, the maker must inform the Potions and Scrolls Marshal, or the Vice President, at check‐in and pay a cost of 10 Silver Pieces and 1 Spell Point per spell rank. The maker must also declare at that time what type of Potion or Scroll he is making. The Potions and Scrolls Marshal will then sign and date the potion or scroll, making it valid for use. Scrolls and potions are valid for ONE YEAR from the date marked on them when created.

(For scrolls and scrolls already in the game, BEFORE they can be legally used, the owner must present the item to the Potions/Scrolls Marshal, or the Vice President, to have their item given a “creation date”. They have exactly 1 year from the creation date listed to use their potion/scroll.)

Payment is due and Spell Points are expended immediately once the potion or scroll has been signed. A participant may only make potions or scrolls during an adventure event, and can only be make them during a full day of adventuring (i.e. a participant may not make a potion or scroll on the Friday night of a campout). Also note that the participant may not make potions or scrolls while Eldering or acting as an NPC* . Potions and Scrolls are not lootable if carried by the participant who made them, on the same day on which they are created. Other than that, they are considered treasure, and may be stolen or looted.

Each adventure the spellcaster receives 3 potion/scroll points. The points are expended on created a potion or scroll depending on the level of the spell used (see table below).

1st level 1 point
2nd level 1 point
3rd level 1 point
4th level 2 points
5th level 2 points
6th level 2 points
7th level 3 points
8th level 3 points
9th level 3 points
10th level 3 points

The creation process requires the maker to have the potion or scroll components. Potions require a 20 oz. or smaller plastic bottle or vial and the components of the spell (one dose of potion per bottle); scrolls require the spell to be written on a piece of parchment paper and the components of the spell.

Only character types that would normally be able to cast the spell may use a scroll. For example, a Mage and a Druid could both use a Lightning Bolt scroll, but a Mage could not use a Cure Light Wounds scroll. The exception to this is a Thief of 9 Rank or higher; he may use the Read Magical Languages ability, see Chapter Five: Types of Characters, to read and cast any scroll. When writing the spell on the scroll, the creator should determine the number of syllables according to his rank; therefore, the spell length may be reduced up to 50% if the creator’s rank warrants that reduction.

Any participant may use a potion. No fluid must be inside the potion bottle, nor must the participant actually consume any liquid to use the potion; it is a representation and only the role‐played motions of drinking the liquid and putting on the spell component, if any, are required. Any physical components needed for the spell must be inside of, or attached to, the bottle.

Potions may only be created for certain spells; they are as follows:

Spell Rank Spell is Acquired
Cure Light 1st rank Cleric and 3rd rank Druid
Cure Disease 4th rank Cleric and 7th rank Druid
Cure Serious 5th rank Cleric and 7th rank Druid
Cure Mortal 7th rank Cleric
Missile Ward 5th rank Warrior Mage
Neutralize Poison 5th rank Cleric and 5th rank Druid
Resurrection 10th rank Cleric
Protection from Lightning 3rd rank Mage and 3rd rank Druid
Protection from Ice 4th rank Mage
Protection from Fire 7th rank Mage
Stoneskin 6th rank Mage
Growth 7th rank Mage
Gaseous Form 8th rank Mage

* Line item veto:
Remove this text, and allow Players volunteering as an Elder, or an NPC to create potions/scrolls for the day.
Last edited by fingers630 on 2014-01-09, edited 1 time in total.

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Aethilgar » 2014-01-09

I thought this was to be removed:

"Also note that the participant may not make potions or scrolls while Eldering or acting as an NPC"

I believe that leaving this restriction in discourages players from volunteering to elder or NPC. Do we truly wish to make rules that actively discourage volunteering?

Facta non Verba

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2014-01-09

Actually it was added as a line item veto for Senate, they can change, or keep the same as I don't want 1 line holding up the whole proposal. For some reason it didn't paste from word, but I highlighted.

Snudge
Asst. Land Marshal

Post by Snudge » 2014-01-09

I like it
You have my support
Rake, roustabout, vagabond and general no account sketchy
Some disreputable folks even go so far as to call me a mountebank
Holder of non-noble titles to numerous to mention