Eliphas fighter/cav proposal discussion.

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Eliphas fighter/cav proposal discussion.

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2013-12-23

The only changes I made where to the diameter of the maces and clubs for shield break. I also took out the part with shields and stuff. If my other proposal goes through it will address those issues. The class restrictions are still there as they will need to have that language cleaned up.

Fighters
Fighters are the generic ‘warriors’ of the Realm. Fighters are by far the most popular class in Darkon, and the bulk of many Country armies are comprised of them. They are permitted to wield any weapon, use any size shield, don any armor, and wear any style of costume.

At 1st rank, a Fighter gains the skill of ‘Shield Break’. This skill allows a Fighter to break shields with a select list of weapons. In the hands of a Fighter, a Battle Axe, Halberd, Black Glaive, or Yellow weapon with a 5’ overall length (except for quarterstaves and Bars) are capable of destroying shields. Clubs and Maces require a striking surface 4” in diameter. For information on how to perform a ‘Shield Break,’ refer to the Shields section of the Darkon rulebook in Chapter Three.

At 8th rank, a Fighter gains the ‘First Aid’ skill. First Aid allows a Fighter to bind light wounds on himself or others. To use this skill, the Fighter must tie a white cloth bandage, 4-5" wide, with a red cross on it around the wounded limb. The limb is still considered to have a light wound but can now be used. If the limb is wounded again, regardless of armor, the player is considered mortally wounded. If the additional wound to the limb was dealt by a yellow weapon, then the limb is unusable, but the player is not considered to be mortally wounded. After five minutes of a wounded limb being treated by the First Aid skill, the limb is considered fully healed and the bandage can be removed. The First Aid skill has no effect on mortal wounds.

Also at 8th rank, a Fighter gains the adventure-only skill of ‘Shield Repair,’ which allows him to repair his own shield. To perform this skill, a Fighter must take off his damaged or destroyed shield. After role-playing (pretending to bend metal, fix straps, and grumbling) over the shield for two minutes, the shield is fully restored. This can be done to any one shield once. If the shield is destroyed or damaged a second time, the Fighter must have the shield magically mended, or must have it repaired in Hades. This skill does not work on siege weapons, battering rams, the Shield spell, Relics, or anything other than normal shields. This skill can only be used on one shield at a time.

At 10th rank, a Fighter gains the adventure-only skill of ‘Armor Repair.’ This skill is similar to Shield Repair, except that it is used to repair a Fighter’s own armor. Each piece of armor is considered separate, and must be removed from the Fighter’s body. Only one piece of armor may be repaired at a time. At 12th rank, a Fighter may repair the armor and shields of other players with his Repair skills.

At 15th rank a Fighter gains the skill of ‘Siege Weapon, Battering Ram, and Structure Repair.’ This skill is similar to Shield Repair and Armor Repair except that is used to repair damaged siege weapons and structures (such as gates). To perform the skill, a Fighter must role-play (pretending to bend metal, hammering, and grumbling) over the item being repaired for four minutes. If another two Fighters work on the same item at once, the time spent, repairing is reduced to two minutes. To use this skill each Fighter must have a hammer (as described in the ‘Weapons’ section of the Darkon rulebook) to act as a tool repairing siege weapons, battering rams, and structures.

Cavaliers
At 1st rank, a Cavalier gains the ‘Shield Break’ skill. A Cavalier's Shield Break works the same as a Fighter's mentioned above.

Monks
Monk characters strive for rigorous physical and mental discipline. Due to their intense reliance on order, they must be of lawful alignment whether good, neutral, or evil, and they must always remain true to their alignment. Monks may use any weapons except shieldbreaking weapons, bows, and crossbows. Monks may not wear any armor or use any type of shield.

Rangers
Rangers are fighter characters who are adept to natural or woodland surroundings. They may use any non shieldbreaking weapons, and may wear armor from the AR5, AR4, AR3, and AR2 armor ratings. Rangers may use any shape shield, so long as the largest dimension of the shield does not exceed 36”. A Ranger’s costume should primarily consist of neutral/ woodland colors.
Changes to the Weapons and Shields section in Chapter Three of the Darkon Rulebook:

Battle-Axe (Black, Shield-destroying Weapon)
Last edited by Sir Tyriel Firebrand on 2013-12-26, edited 2 times in total.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~
~"Winning is teaching, losing is learning"~

Inox
Knight of the Realm

Re: Eliphas fighter/cav proposal discussion.

Post by Inox » 2013-12-24

Need to show the strikethrough/removed text for the Monk, Ranger, etc. sections.
Prince Inox Elsonáge Thensiur
Swordslinger of No Quarter!
Warriors' Guild, OE, CCx8, CM(Warrior Mage)
Beast of BABALON

Varnak_the_UnNamed

Post by Varnak_the_UnNamed » 2013-12-26

I would just remove all the sections not relevant to Fighters/Cavs. Most of the other stuff has changed or will change. I like both the Fighter and Cavalier sections.
-Suelk Varnak the UnNamed of Ched Nasad

Eclesiarch of Slaa-eth
Keeper of Asylym Male'Volus
The Oathbreaker
Bearer of the Seed
The Lost Prince
Fang of Shub-Rath
Scourge of Ctelotho
Wielder of Y'Drasooth, the ancestral Holy Weapon of the Lost

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2013-12-26

I took your advice Serge. Also I think this will round out the fighter class and make them more useful in adventures and day battles. All these things are minor boons and don't overpower the class at all.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~

shroom2021
Darkonian

Post by shroom2021 » 2013-12-26

This skill allows a Fighter to break shields with a select list of weapons. In the hands of a Fighter, a Battle Axe, Halberd, Black Glaive, or Yellow weapon with a 5’ overall length (except for quarterstaves and Bars) are capable of destroying shields.

Does this skill override the current shield breaking rules?
IE. In the hands of anyone else a Black Glaive is not shieldbreaking, but in the hands of a fighter lvl 1 or above it is now shield breaking?

Just wondering, I will co-sign either way.

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2013-12-26

You have it correct.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-12-27

Cosign.

I'd also let the other black-using classes just go ahead and have all of the black weapons now since shield break is limited to classes. But maybe make that proposal after this one succeeds (well, hopefully it does).
The Amazing Iltztafein of House Dubh - CB
Let me show you a magic trick...
I'll make your money... DISAPPEAR!

Sir Aethilgar
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Aethilgar » 2013-12-27

Amazing_Iltztafein wrote:Cosign.

I'd also let the other black-using classes just go ahead and have all of the black weapons now since shield break is limited to classes. But maybe make that proposal after this one succeeds (well, hopefully it does).

Agreed. Co-signed.
Baron Aethilgar Sheldwich

Facta non Verba

"Arguing on the forums is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After some time, you realize that you are getting dirty, but the pig is actually enjoying it."

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2013-12-27

I think that this proposal covers that TJ.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~

Amazing_Iltztafein
Darkonian

Post by Amazing_Iltztafein » 2013-12-27

Sir Tyriel Firebrand wrote:I think that this proposal covers that TJ.

Ah, I only read the red text thinking those were the extent of the changes. :)

Sir Tyriel Firebrand
Knight of the Realm

Post by Sir Tyriel Firebrand » 2013-12-27

Yea it takes the shield break descriptor and removes it allowing those classes access to the other black weapons.
~No Quarter!~
~Warriors Guild~
~Knight of Tuesday~