Amending "Costume" section

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.
Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Amending "Costume" section

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2014-06-03

Preface:
Last spring we went through a lot of discussions about garb, and at senate determined that marshals and elders should be able to disallow play for players who continue to fail garb checks, or blatantly disregard them. This is placing it into the rulebook. (the marshal's choice on whether or not to bench or "1-stick" the offender.

You will note that I changed a few other items. Modern prints are addressed, as nothing is currently saying I can't make a tunic out of a baby blanket made of blue elephants. I expanded "cargo pants" to "any clothing which is visibly pocketed in modern fashion" because more than cargo pants have loud ugly pockets. Made sure laces/socks were addressed, since I'm typing that out ever so often.

The real kicker will be the addition of "t-shirts" to the list of obviously modern clothing that are illegal. I feel that this will be a great step for our game, and its image.

I also addressed "safety" items that cannot be disguised within costume, and ensuring that the "need" for these items must be legitimized.

The good thing about this, is that the t-shirt rule won't come to pass until next winter, giving everyone ample time to get a tunic solution lined up!

Currently the section reads like this:
Costumes
Costuming for Darkon should be inspired by pre‐industrial historical clothing or fantasy genre clothing. A simple costume could consist of a tunic style shirt with pants/kilt/skirts and medievalesqe or historical footwear; the outfit must give the impression of being inspired by pre‐industrial historical or fantasy genre clothing. Hoods, mantles, capes, belts ‐ white belts are reserved to characters that are Knights of the Realm, and pouches can all be worn to add to a costume’s appearance. Armor does count as costuming; however when the armor is removed while still participating at the event, proper costuming must be worn.

20th/21st century contemporary clothing, modern looking, steam punk, and any sci‐fi/futuristic costuming are strictly prohibited; examples include cargo pants, jeans, shorts, camouflage clothing or any type of "bicycle" (spandex/Lycra) shorts. Any athletic or safety equipment, such as knee pads, may be worn but must be made to make it not visible, e.g., worn under proper costuming. Athletic clothing used for warmth or wicking properties may be worn but their appearance must be minimized within a costume.

Personal ‘mundane’ items such as sun glasses, watches, radios, cell phones, etc. are not permitted and should be kept hidden away in pouches or otherwise out of sight. In all cases where modern logos are present on any item worn (including safety equipment and shoes) those logos must be removed, painted over so the logo is not to be able to be seen or covered so the logo is not visible at any time and in a way that does not detract from the appearance. Modern footwear may be worn but must be solid black or brown, historical footwear may be of any color.

The Costume Marshal will inspect the costuming of all participants as they check‐in, and Elders will enforce the costuming rules during game‐play. If at any time a participant is found to be not in appropriate garb, they will be required to play with only a single handed sword/club/bar; if they are already participating, they will be made to fight with a single handed sword/bar/club until such time as they have on appropriate costuming.

The new section will read as this:
Costumes
Costuming for Darkon should be inspired by pre‐industrial historical clothing or fantasy genre clothing. A simple costume could consist of a tunic style shirt with pants/kilt/skirts and medievalesqe or historical footwear; the outfit must give the impression of being inspired by pre‐industrial historical or fantasy genre clothing. Hoods, mantles, capes, belts, and pouches can all be worn to add to a costume’s appearance. Armor does count as costuming; however when the armor is removed while still participating at the event, proper costuming must be worn. White belts are reserved to players that are Knights of the Realm of Darkon.

20th/21st century contemporary clothing, modern looking, steam punk, and any sci‐fi/futuristic costuming are strictly prohibited; examples include t-shirts, any clothing which is visibly pocketed in modern fashion, jeans, shorts, clothing containing modern prints(including camouflage clothing), or any type of "bicycle" (spandex/Lycra) shorts. Any athletic or safety equipment, such as knee pads, may be worn but must be made to make it not visible, e.g., worn under proper costuming. Athletic clothing used for warmth or wicking properties may be worn but their appearance must be minimized within a costume. Any safety equipment which cannot be disguised with a player's costume must be cleared with the Costume Marshal before the item is used in play, and the Costume Marshal may also require a note endorsed by the player's physician for the player to field with the item.

Personal ‘mundane’ items such as sun glasses, watches, radios, cell phones, etc. are not permitted and should be kept hidden away in pouches or otherwise out of sight. In all cases where modern logos are present on any item worn (including safety equipment and shoes) those logos must be removed, painted over so the logo is not to be able to be seen or covered so the logo is not visible at any time and in a way that does not detract from the appearance. Modern footwear may be worn but must be solid black or brown (with lacing of the same color of the footwear, and socks that blend with the color of the shoe or costume), historical footwear may be of any color and lacing.

The Costume Marshal will inspect the costuming of all participants as they check‐in, and Elders will enforce the costuming rules during game‐play. If at any time a participant is found to be not in appropriate garb, they may be required to play with only a single handed sword/club/bar; if they are already participating, they may be made to fight with a single handed sword/bar/club until such time as they have on appropriate costuming. The Costume Marshal may deny gameplay to any players who are in violation of the Costuming rules, at the Marshal's discretion.

Changes:
Removed: "‐ white belts are reserved to characters that are Knights of the Realm"
Removed: "cargo pants"

Added: "t-shirts"
Added: "any clothing which is visibly pocketed in modern fashion"
Added: "clothing containing modern prints"
Added: "(with lacing of the same color of the footwear, and socks that blend with the color of the shoe or costume)"
Added: "The Costume Marshal may deny gameplay to any players who are in violation of the Costuming rules, at the Marshal's discretion."
Added: "Any safety equipment which cannot be disguised with a player's costume must be cleared with the Costume Marshal before the item is used in play, and the Costume Marshal may also require a note endorsed by the player's physician for the player to field with the item."
Added: "White belts are reserved to players that are Knights of the Realm of Darkon."
Last edited by Lord Valfryn on 2014-06-10, edited 1 time in total.

Sir Sturmbjorne
Knight of the Realm

Re: Amending "Costume" section

Post by Sir Sturmbjorne » 2014-06-06

Cosigned.
Baron Wulfvin Sturmbjorne, KR, OSW, CC, OD, CM(Druid)
Knight of the Realm
King of Asaheim
Huskcarl and Jarl of Asaheim
President 2015
"Bound by honor, Released in death" - Felgardian Contract of Arms

Thrush Svartehjertet

Post by Thrush Svartehjertet » 2014-06-10

I * love this... if it gets enforced.

Thrush
berserk
Warriors Guild
Order of the Raven (Arts)
Order of the Mask (Fighter) 2012, 2013
Order of the Stag (Service to the Game)
"I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

Post by fingers630 » 2014-06-10

Who the * cares about socks?
Justicar Lucius Alexander Crum
Archmage of Elidor and Lord of the Realm
Queen of the Silly People

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2014-06-10

I care about socks when they draw attention to non-period footwear.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

So they only come into play if you are wearing non period footwear?

Lord Valfryn
Knight of the Realm

Post by Lord Valfryn » 2014-06-10

correct. If you're wearing non-period footwear, your socks need to match your garb/ shoes in an unobtrusive manner.

fingers630
Knight of the Realm

ok I can abide by this. carry on :)