Official Message Boards of the Darkon Wargaming Club, Inc.

Clarifying the rulebook license

Forum for the discussion of proposals people would like to make.

Clarifying the rulebook license

Postby AndorOfDargarth » 2012-02-10

The rules of Darkon have been collaboratively written over the course of decades, and there are several derived games who have been given permission to crib from Darkon's rules. I think in the spirit of live action wargaming, they should be given an explicit and free license to be copied, translated, distributed, altered, etc. This would be good for larping/foamfighting as a whole.

I propose the pdf copy of the rulebook shall be amended to contain the following text and link at the end:

This would be doing other clubs a favor in allowing them free use of Darkon's rulebook, which I think will remove one obstacle to the existence of other Darkon-like games.

Because I'm not an actively attending Darkonian, I do not feel comfortable arguing for this proposal heavily here. I humbly request that sympathetic members of the club who wish to see more Darkon clones out there 5 years from now to argue the case, but I'll step in if this somehow becomes a panel discussion.

Andor of Moot
Count of Dargarth
Lord of the Realm of Darkon
AndorOfDargarth

Re: Clarifying the rulebook license

Postby jayjay » 2012-02-10

winning.
jayjay
No Quarter!
jayjay
Darkonian

Postby Lord Dubh » 2012-02-10

I am not sure what our license would look like but I do see the need for a clarification, the intent right now is 'free use' to allow people to use the rules as they see fit. However, that 'free use' is stimeyed due to the very wording we use. We actually have a statement that written permission is required. That is NOT 'free use'.

This rulebook is intended for usage in conjunction with the Darkon Wargaming Club Events. No portion in whole or part may be reproduced from this book in any form without prior written permission. By membership and/or purchase the terms aforementioned and the here to be mentioned are hereby accepted.

Individuals seeking to form a Wargaming group outside of the Baltimore Washington metro area may use these rules in whole or in part for that purpose, provided that their organization is not for profit, and provided that the name of Darkon is not used. The Darkon Wargaming Club, Inc. still retains rights in all of the material in this rulebook, and no affiliation between organizations exists by virtue of others adopting our rules for their gameplay. Anyone attempting to engage in play of the type described in these rules does so at their own risk.

However, until we know how we are going to handle other groups that want to be part of a national system I am loathe to begin altering our license.

If we do not go down the national route, this is a good solution.
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/
Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Postby Garwa Mayharr » 2012-02-10

Why is it that Darkon has never really gone nation like some of the other foam fight club out there such as Belegarth or Dag?
Garwa Mayharr

Postby Lord Dubh » 2012-02-10

Garwa Mayharr wrote:Why is it that Darkon has never really gone nation like some of the other foam fight club out there such as Belegarth or Dag?

It is kind of explained here - viewtopic.php?f=27&t=140
Sir Bendore Dubh of Dai-Dagan, CR, KR, OG, OR, CB, CC
Master Thief of Darkon

____

http://www.facebook.com/SirBendoreDubh/
Lord Dubh
Knight of the Realm

Postby AndorOfDargarth » 2012-02-10

I say 'clarifying' because in the past, clubs have been given this very permission, to borrow and attribute. Unfortunately, I can't pass that permission along. In fact, if I want right now, I can tell another club who wants to use "our" rules that they are only free to borrow from the combat system (Bel), not the rest of the rulebook, unless they get Darkon's permission.

This frees other groups from 'borrowing' Darkons rules and allows them to use them as they like, provided they share them in kind.
AndorOfDargarth

Postby Garwa Mayharr » 2012-02-10

In my opinion, it is not that other groups would use Darkon rules, But rather some Darkon members fear another group would use Darkons name and tarnish it from something stupid like damaging public property. As A Scoutmaster we need to watch our scouts like hawks, because if they act out in a bad way it make all scouts look bad.
Garwa Mayharr

Postby Ash_Sarum » 2012-02-10

Just to show an example from a version of the Amtgard rulebook:

"Amtgard Rules of Play version 7 are copyright 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010 Amtgard Inc: Kingdom of the Burning Lands. These rules are freely distributable but may not be sold for profit outside of the Kingdom Contract agreement."

From their chapter contract Amtgard Inc agrees to:

"Provide online, printable copies of the Rules of Play, the Corpora of Laws, and sundry supplemental documents used to facilitate play of the Amtgard role-playing system. The Grantee may resell these publications to its members, without alteration, at a cost no greater than 10% above the price paid by the Grantee."

I agree though that getting mandate to move forward with developing a national structure with chapters is needed before looking at altering your licensing agreement.
Ash_Sarum
Darkonian

Postby AndorOfDargarth » 2012-02-25

I guess I was off the mark with this!

Garwa, I'd like to point out that it wouldn't be a big deal to append terms about not using the name "Darkon" anywhere in derivative works.
AndorOfDargarth

Return to Proposal Discussion